Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
andypa1
andypa1 began at the beginning.

Device: Android - Moon+
Help to set me up with Moon+ pro syncing

Hi guys,

I've got hundreds of e-books i'm trying to organise, for reading across android devices.

I've gone for moon+ as it seems to support google drive syncing as well as a number of other great features.

All I want it to do is to look in a gdrive folder and import all books from within, including sub folders but I just can't work out how to do this. When I select the main folder gdrive isn't an option.

Would also be great for it to sync to progress through a book which isn't clear in the settings.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
andypa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Syncing an ereader is about keeping your place within the book when changing devices. It doesn't usually refer to putting all your books on a device.

I sync Moon+ with Dropbox because I read on a couple of different devices and it always remembers my place when I switch. I can do the same thing with Google drive.

I also store books on Dropbox and Google drive so they're available to me but I just download a book or two now and then. I don't try to keep all my books on the device. It just has the book I'm reading now and a few I'm thinking of reading next.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypa1 View Post
Hi guys,

I've got hundreds of e-books i'm trying to organise, for reading across android devices.
Calibre is what you want for that. lives on your pc

Quote:

Would also be great for it to sync to progress through a book which isn't clear in the settings.

just follow the instructions
settings > miscellaneous and scroll to the bottom.
check off sync reading position via dropbox/google drive
click the gear icon to the right of dropbox/gdrive and make sure you have backup book file to dropbox checked

then import/load a book into moon
you should see it backing stuff up

then from the other device you can load the backup and it'll sync reading progress

I've very very rarely had it actually sync the books between devices, but generally i've had to manually import them from dropbox.

at that point it syncs reading progress np
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do essentially the same thing except I don't have it keep a backup of the book on Dropbox. It still syncs for me just fine. I haven't really looked into backing up the book. What does that do for you?

By the way, syncing works better for me on Moon+ than it does between my Paperwhite and my Voyage.

Barry
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
andypa1

thank you guys this is helpful, i guess it's just a shame that it can't show all available books in gdrive on the shelf without having to copy all of them over to the phone first.

My only remaining question is about the backup option in moon+, why does it offer to backup a book to google drive when you open it?
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
thank you guys this is helpful, i guess it's just a shame that it can't show all available books in gdrive on the shelf without having to copy all of them over to the phone first.

My only remaining question is about the backup option in moon+, why does it offer to backup a book to google drive when you open it?
When you open a book or the application?
I only see back up when I click the menu.
My best guess would be because moon + doesn't remember where the book came from.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
andypa1

when reading a book I went to misc options, clicked the cog next to "sync reading positions via Google Drive" and then there's an option for "backup book file to Gdrive"....
Old 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
i guess it's just a shame that it can't show all available books in gdrive on the shelf without having to copy all of them over to the phone first.
I think you can. At least I do with Dropbox. When I go to My Files on Moon+ I see Local Files at the top. If I tap on that I can select Dropbox and if I do I see the books on Dropbox. From there I can open or import any book.

I don't have it set up for Google Drive now but I did experiment with that at one time. As I recall it worked just fine and in just the same way it works with Dropbox. I've been using Dropbox for this for a while so I didn't change but they both seem to work equally well.

Barry
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
when reading a book I went to misc options, clicked the cog next to "sync reading positions via Google Drive" and then there's an option for "backup book file to Gdrive"....
I read your previous post as when you "opened" the book it automatically came up. Not once you clicked the menu.
That is probably for people that don't store their books on Google Drive.
I don't have my kindle or Google Play books on Drive.
I just went and looked. Only books that I either downloaded from links here or ones that came in my email.
Thanks for the reminder that I am way behind on my reading.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #10
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I assume this is how it syncs reading progress

it syncs that book to gdrive/dropbox
you then import that book into other devices

all reading progress is stored to gdrive/dropbox

when you open that book on a device, it compares the file on your device to the gdrive/dropbox version, and compares furthest reading progress
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Moon+ does not need to backup/sync an entire book to the cloud in order to sync reading positions. It does it via a separate sync file in Dropbox -- one for each book.

Just make sure your actual book filenames are identical on both devices, and sync should work properly.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote