Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
LRF Release to Open Source?

Since Sony has dumped LRF into the ditch --- why don't they do the world a favor and release it into the public domain? Most, if not all, of the Sony books I downloaded from the Sony Bookstore the last couple of years were beautifully formatted and a joy to read on my PRS-505. DRM is still unbreakable in LRF files, so many authors and publishers would be happy also (as much as I despise DRM).

It reminds me of OS/2: IBM dumped a perfectly good operating system, but never released it to open source (I know...licensing issues and so forth).
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I believe you mean LRX.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Since Sony has dumped LRF into the ditch --- why don't they do the world a favor and release it into the public domain? Most, if not all, of the Sony books I downloaded from the Sony Bookstore the last couple of years were beautifully formatted and a joy to read on my PRS-505. DRM is still unbreakable in LRF files, so many authors and publishers would be happy also (as much as I despise DRM).
LRF files don't have DRM. Perhaps you mean LRX?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, of course. Sorry I wasn't clearer!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the format is a good one, and it is a shame to have to watch it die.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is plenty of documentation on LRF but LRX is for copyrighted books and they would likely get sued by publishers if they released a method of breaking copyright on existing books. The format itself does not half to die. Calibre supports conversion and other tools are available.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is plenty of documentation on LRF but LRX is for copyrighted books and they would likely get sued by publishers if they released a method of breaking copyright on existing books. The format itself does not half to die. Calibre supports conversion and other tools are available.

Dale
True, but Kovid has deprecated support for LRF (I think version 0.5.14 was the best Calibre for working with LRF), and all things point to the format going the way of the dodo.