Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I seriously can't believe my luck

I guess I'll have to put it down to Sony build quality as I can't believe my luck when I stupidly dropped my reader from 2 or 3 metres high onto a concrete floor.
I turned it back on expecting the screen to be cactus but there is no indication of damage. I'll keep an eye on it for the telltale sign of a screen fracture.I think what saved it was the cover was on and it landed face down and not on the corner.
Has anyone else dropped theirs from a height and it survived. Some people have only had to breath on theirs wrongly and the screen cracks.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A thieving lifeguard tried to steal my bag (containing purse and Sony), then dropped it onto concrete when I caught him. The light cover broke, but the reader was OK.

I also dropped it out of the car onto the concrete driveway a couple of times. It fell out of the broken cover before I figured out the fancy fix... putting a thin hair scrunchy and velcro dots to hold it in the cover. The frame got scratched, but didn't affect the workings.

Overall, I treated it badly. It went everywhere in my purse. But it still works great. YAY!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I guess I'll have to put it down to Sony build quality as I can't believe my luck when I stupidly dropped my reader from 2 or 3 metres high onto a concrete floor.
Oh lord, my heart would stop if this happened to me.

The farthest my Reader has fallen is off the couch and onto the carpet. Never onto the cement or hard floor as of yet.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I haven't dropped mine, but I sat on it about a month ago. No problems yet!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I just did the same thing on sunday. I thought it was toast. It is in the cover with the light and think it saved it.

I've been happily reading it with no problems so far.

The quality on the sony's are great.

When I dropped it and found it still ok I wondered how a kindle would have held up.

I have dropped it once before but on carpet and not as high as on the concrete drop I just did.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I always have mine in a protective case, usually my M-Edge. I've dropped my current 600 and previous 505 (a few times) and have not had any broken screens.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Ibblet
Ibblet began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-700
I have droped mine from the car many times. with and without case. It has held up perfectly. I also keep it in my purse (in the case) and it gets knocked around a bit.

much more sturdy than you would think.
Ibblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i've had mine drop from about 1m to a hard floor, and the top where the power button is came loose. it wouldnt turn on until i jiggled it some and pried the top back on close, but since then it's been fine. Thank goodness.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FYI - Check with your insurance company, I added my Sony Reader to my Personal Articles Policy (which covers my wife's jewelry and my iPhone). It only cost like $5 a year to add it and now if I drop it or anything they'll fix/replace it.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
someone on a bicycle knock into me as he cycle pass , and my prs600 flew and landed face down on the road ! i manage to rescue it before a car went over it but the front bezel got scratch . the screen's still fine i jus covered up the bezel with decalgirl skin and its good to go again ~
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I've dropped mine a number of times--it even has some chips and dents in it--but it continues to work fine.
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
holy cow...i hit my brake pedal a little too hard and my reader fell off the seat onto the floorboard...when i got home and removed the soft cover...i had to change my drawers...my screen was SHOT!! I had purched the 2 year warranty and thank goodness..that is where my baby is now...gettin fixxed! I couldnt believe how easy it was to get it in to get repaired! They didnt give me any crapola or nothin...they just sent a HUGE box with soooo much foam in it for my lil reader to be shipped off to be repaired. It should be back to me in 7-10 business days. Thank goodness for that warranty...but i am still gonna hold my breath till i get it back in the exact shape i sent it off in. That'll be the real test.
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
holy cow...i hit my brake pedal a little too hard and my reader fell off the seat onto the floorboard...when i got home and removed the soft cover...i had to change my drawers...my screen was SHOT!! I had purched the 2 year warranty and thank goodness..that is where my baby is now...gettin fixxed! I couldnt believe how easy it was to get it in to get repaired! They didnt give me any crapola or nothin...they just sent a HUGE box with soooo much foam in it for my lil reader to be shipped off to be repaired. It should be back to me in 7-10 business days. Thank goodness for that warranty...but i am still gonna hold my breath till i get it back in the exact shape i sent it off in. That'll be the real test.
Funny they send so much packing material to pad an already broken device.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
dropped it too

Hi,

I have dropped mine from cca. 80 cm to hard floor about a year ago. The leather cover saved it. I still happily use it today.
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
A thieving lifeguard tried to steal my bag (containing purse and Sony), then dropped it onto concrete when I caught him. The light cover broke, but the reader was OK.

Overall, I treated it badly. It went everywhere in my purse. But it still works great. YAY!
I hope you beat the crap out of him! He's giving lifeguards a bad name.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote