Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
martinlest
martinlest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo to Kindle question..

OK, total newbie with Calibre, but having installed and spent some time looking at the interface, I'd appreciate answers to a couple of questions! :-)

Well, just one question really. I want to convert files from my Kobo for use in the Kindle, as I say. But the files I want to convert have no extension showing. An example would be "0a7a1c48-c2d5-4b50-a177-a634110132e7".

I haven't found, firstly, if Calibre can convert such a file to a Kindle format, or, if so, how to import it to Calibre for conversion. (Not sure also whether the file would have DRM??).

Thanks for any tips.

Martin
martinlest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Kobo content is DRM protected. You need to use one of the Apprentice Alf tools, namely OBOK to remove the DRM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The Kobo content is DRM protected. You need to use one of the Apprentice Alf tools, namely OBOK to remove the DRM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Not unless the ePub was downloaded via ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bt seeing the OP listed file names like 0a7a1c48-c2d5-4b50-a177-a634110132e7 it's a kepub either in Kobo desktop or on the device itself.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
martinlest

Thanks - so how might I proceed? I used the Epubor converter, which converted 25 of the files, then refused to do any more (a limit imposed by the freeware programme I think: I don't want to buy the programme for just a one-off use: once I get the books off my (broken) Kobo, I shall dump it).

Last edited by martinlest; 08-26-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You have two choices:

You can use the Kobo desktop application to download kepub version of the books to your machine. Then use Obok a mentioned to copy these to the calibre library.

Or, you download the epub directly from the library on the Kobo store. If the book has DRM, it will need ADE to download the book and then the mentioned tools to remove the DRM. If the book doesn't have DRM, the epub file will download directly.

I use the latter, but I download the books as I buy them. I'd consider the former if I had a lot of book to grab in one go.

You could also just add the extension "epub" to the files and try them. If they do not have DRM, this will work and is effectively what Obok does for book without DRM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
martinlest

I think that these are the free books that came with the Kobo when I bought it. I did try adding .epub to the file before I posted here, but to no avail. It's odd because I also tried 'Epubor Ultimate' (trial version), which successfully imported a couple dozen of these files to the Kindle. It won't do any more... I think I read 25 is the limit for the free version, and it seems to remember that I have done 25 already, even when installed on a different PC.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I know nothing about 'Epubor Ultimate'. As you are starting to use calibre, take a look at the tools supplied by Apprentice Alf. Obok is one of them. If the books come from Kobo and have been downloaded to you PC using the Kobo desktop application, it will be able to help.

Of course, if these are the 100 free books given out by Kobo with one of their early devices, they were probably are all books whose copyright had expired. If so, you can probably find them on the web somewhere. Project Gutenberg, the MobileRead library, lots of other places have these books. And if you need a list, I know there was a thread discussing them here. It's from a while ago, so you would need to search.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
martinlest

I did try the DRM stripper (by Apprentice Alf), but I think you are right. None of the books is likely to be in copyright and it will probably be easier to find afresh the ones that I want to keep.

I'll have a look for the thread you mention.

Many thanks.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or you could just read the ones you want to read using your Kobo.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
martinlest

That thought had occurred to me! :-) The Kobo's navigation pad perished and fell off though and it is very hard to use, so I won't be doing that... Once I have got what I can off it, it's for the dump.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Why not check the library here for the books, DRM free and in the format of your choice:

mobi --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...hp?forumid=128
ePub --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...hp?forumid=130
Old 08-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since you had books in a format that Kindles will not read and that may need work to get them so you can convert them, why didn't you go for a new Kobo?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And Kobos have evolved a great deal since your device
Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
martinlest

Yes, the Kobo I have/had is/was version 1. The rubber buttons all went rotten and fell off! (I was living in Sri Lanka at the time - maybe the Kobo didn't like the climate!).

Quote:
why didn't you go for a new Kobo?
The Kindle was a present! :-)

Thanks for the links. Only a few books I'd like to keep from the 100+ on the Kobo. I am sure I'll find them, probably free. Just got the complete works of Charles Dickens for £2 - so I am not without stuff to read!

Last edited by martinlest; 08-27-2017 at 11:38 AM.