Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
mjdz
mjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it is

Device: Samsung Tablet, Windows PC
Marvin and Aldiko Can't Read ePub Metadata or Cover Page

On Windows 7, using the latest version of Calibre (64-bit), I have collected numerous public domain E-Books, made a few simple edits, and resaved them (using the "Convert Books" feature) in the ePub and mobi formats.

The edits included completing the Author and Title metadata fields and adding a Calibre-generated cover to each E-Book file.

I chose the No SVG Cover option during each conversion, because I was going to read some of the books on my iPhone. The Calibre Help Tips warned that with SVG, the iPhone would display the cover as a blank page.

I have successfully read these E-Books on the following applications:
  • Kybook (iPhone)
  • Moon+ Reader (Android tablet)
  • Kindle Reader (iPhone, Android, and Windows)
  • Calibre (Windows)
  • SumatraPDF (Windows)
  • Sigil (Windows)

Each of these above applications displays the cover page and the metadata created from within Calibre.

Recently, however, I tried two additional E-Book readers: Marvin (for the iPhone) and Aldiko (for Android tablet). Neither of these apps can read the E-Book metadata or display the cover page in my ePubs. I am wondering why this problem exists.
  • Does the problem have something to do with the use or non-use of the SVG Wrapper on the cover page image? I really don't understand everything about SVG wrappers.
  • Or, is it possible that Marvin and Aldiko are unable to search the E-Book to find the metadata? I noticed that in Calibre's Convert Books dialog box, under Structure Detection, there is an option to Insert Metadata as a Page at Start of Book. Is this feature necessary in order for some E-Book reader apps to work properly?

I'd appreciate your advice on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks.
mjdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi mjdz! Welcome to MR!

A couple of clarifications:
Please try to reference the actual app used on the iPhone rather than saying iPhone when (I think) you mean iBooks. It saves on confusion. Unfortunately I can't speak to iBooks' capabilities (or lack thereof) because I stay as far away from it as possible. It has a lot of issues with standards compliance and requires WAY too much work to get it to look right on iBooks. I assume Calibre's reference to SVG covers was actually speaking to iBooks limitation. There are plenty of other ebook apps that work on iOS - including displaying SVG covers -to be stuck using iBooks.

Marvin also reads metadata and displays covers (SVG or otherwise) beautifully. I have several thousand books which display covers - and show metadata just fine... as long as the metadata is correctly saved to the ePub itself.

Calibre does not automatically save metadata changes that you make to the ePub file. It saves those changes to a file that it uses internally. If you want to save that metadata to the ePub you must force Calibre to do it using one of a couple easy methods.

I use the "Save to Disk" tool in Calibre most often. You can tell it the folder to save to and it does all the rest of the work. This makes a duplicate copy of the file though. If you don't want an extra copy you can use the "Polish Book" tool and make sure you select the appropriate options - like "update metadata in the book files" and "update the cover in the book files".

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdz View Post
I have successfully read these E-Books on the following applications:
  • Kybook (iPhone)
  • Moon+ Reader (Android tablet)
  • Kindle Reader (iPhone, Android, and Windows)
  • Calibre (Windows)
  • SumatraPDF (Windows)
  • Sigil (Windows)
Hello mjdz,

Sorry if this is off-topic ...

Thanks for mentioning "KyBook". I hadn't heard of it and decided to try the free version. Not the easiest to learn reader I've tried, but it has many features that I like. After spending an hour playing with it, I loaded the book I'm currently reading and will finish it on KyBook. I've learned that features don't mean a thing if the reader has annoying quirks.
So far, so good!

Back on-topic ... Follow Turtle91's advice. "Polish books" is easy to use and it makes sure metadata and covers are saved.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aldiko, cover page, marvin, metadata