Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Borders Rewards Members Unite!

I want to shift my buying habits away from printed books to e-books. But those 25%-40% off coupons from Borders Rewards are making it difficult, especially since they explicitly exclude "eBooks".

Whenever I get their coupons by email, I click the "Tell us what you think" link and ask them to extend their Rewards program to eBooks. They always email back a polite note that they are considering various options, etc.

I'd like to call on all mobileread members who own the Sony Reader and are also Borders Rewards members to do the same: give them constant feedback that you want discounts on eBooks at the Sony Connect/Borders eBookstore.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
Hehe shows how much I know. Since when is there a Borders/Connect store?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since Borders became a reseller. It's just the Sony Connect store, but the software itself is co-branded.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Sony Connect FAQ'S list borders Coupons, I clicked it and it when thru the steps on how to use them, Maybe a work around for now is to use the rewards coupon to buy a borders giftcard and use that at the Connect Store, I do not have anything available right now to check the fine print but I will research it and post my findings.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Never mind checked the borders website you can not purchase giftcards with reward bucks.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
Sounds like a good idea Taylor. I'm an activist at heart so this naturally appeals to me. Did you have a specific plan in mind? Or are we all just to flood them with emails? Perhaps we should get a web petition going?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not a Sony Reader owner but I am a Borders Rewards Member and I will leave feedback as requested as a show of solidarity for all ebook readers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Interesting, I never thought of using the Rewards coupons on the Sony eBooks.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Why not? Borders sold me my Sony Reader. The Borders.com site has an "ebooks" link. It takes you to Sony, but that was Borders' choice, wasn't it? There should be every expectation that the Borders Rewards program would include ebook purchases.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook-ST, Sony 505 & T1, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I would sign a petition for this. It really is too bad they don't give Borders Bucks points for buy the Sony eBook Store.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
It's a cool idea, but with Borders barely surviving I think most customers are lucky they get any kind of coupon!

Seriously though, as a former Borders employee I will tell you that a) Borders is most definitely a slave to their bottom line, and b) they have a history of trying to chase what's cool and new. If you convince them ebooks are profitable AND it sets them aside from B&N and the used bookstores, then they'll take it seriously.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Did anyone else get their Borders coupons via email today? Time to click that "Contact Us" link, and fill out the contact form, with your own versions of the following two basic questions:

1. How can I buy ebooks from Borders?
2. How can I use Borders Bucks, and Rewards coupons, when I buy ebooks?

Dyslexics of the world, untie!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

My Letter to Borders

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in this reply. I like Borders. I like buying books at Borders. I like going into the store, talking to the clerks, asking about books. I enjoy the entire book buying experience. I bought the Sony Reader at Borders, because I travel a LOT and the concept seemed nice. Because of my investment in the device, I now shop for e-books. Since Borders doesn't sell e-book editions, though, I'm missing out on the entire book buying experience. There is no reason to go to a Borders store, since you don't sell e-books. No reason to visit your website, since you don't sell e-books. The Borders Rewards program? Useless, since you don't sell e-books.

There are so many ways to integrate WiFi and kiosks into your Borders stores to make an ideal e-book shopping/buying experience! Imagine, I could go into a store, look around, talk to the clerks, get some ideas for some books, and then plug my SD card into a Kiosk and BUY THEM. Or sit in the cafe, buy a drink, and use my laptop to access a localized web page (a page specific to the store) and download my purchases right there, while on a page that showed local store events, maps, store specials!

Instead you simply shuttle e-book buyers off to Sony. What a wasted opportunity. If you truly do share this with your executives, I hope someone will take note of the tremendous potential in the e-book market. Borders could differentiate from the competition by fully embracing the e-book movement, and providing a great e-book buying experience in your stores. Don't throw your customers away.

T.

P.S. I would be happy to have a conversation about the e-book market and ideas for integrating e-book buying into a brick-and-mortar store. I've had my Sony Reader for about 4 months now, and have used it extensively during travel. I've had good and bad purchasing experiences. I think Borders should research e-books, and should interview people who've embraced the e-book format. You might be surprised at the hurdles we have to go over to buy books! There is a real need for a major retailer to provide some alternative to Amazon. You have my contact information; I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 07-16-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Most Recent Email to Borders

I appreciate the Borders Rewards coupons I get via email. However, you continue to specifically exclude ebooks.

When will Borders offer ebooks? Barring that, when will you extend the Rewards program to include purchases from your partner, Sony?

Since purchasing the Sony Reader from you, I have been left out of your Rewards program, and I'm not thrilled with Sony's pricing. Thus, both Borders and Sony have lost my business for book purchases. This is a shame, and certainly not what you intended. One way to fix that is to offer ebooks yourselves, or extend the Rewards program.

I've been very disappointed at your lack of responsiveness to the ebook market. I write in the hope that Borders, my favorite place to shop for books, is interested in having me back as a customer.

Regards,

Etc.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Borders' Response

"Thank you for contacting Borders Customer Care with your comments.

Feedback from valued customers like you is essential to us as it allows us to keep in touch with areas where we can improve our services. Your suggestion will be included in our regular reporting to our various departments and in information presented to the executives at Borders. While I cannot guarantee that a change will be made, we appreciate your sending us your ideas.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us. If you should have any other thoughts on how we can improve the shopping experience at Borders stores, please don't hesitate to share these with us."