Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think its an aesthetic decision. Steve Jobs would rather have a gorgeous full color, responsive display with limited battery life and wide functionality, than a merely decent color display with incredible battery life and optimized for reading. Just my guess.

I think the PixelQ tech is amazing, and hope Jepsen puts it on a bunch of devices. I'm just not sure Apple is the right fit for that kind of tech. My bet is AMOLED is Apple's next screen tech.
I can agree with the first part. The IPS screen apparently gives the best colour around, and at 133 dpi it's one of the highest 'big' screens I have heard of.

On the second, not so much. I have an XO-1, and it does have discernible colour - but not vibrant or brilliant. So, not fantastic.

Also I have not checked on the pixel density achieved recently; the XO-1 is 800 x 600 with a 7.5" screen - ah ha, that works out to 133 dpi, as well - not bad for the first gen! So make it bigger and keep pushing the pixel density. If you want magazine quality viewing you need to approach colour laser printer dpi... well, no - that's up around 600 dpi for my $250 HP... but probably 200 dpi would be nice.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Apple doesn't strike me as the kind of company to try to market a tablet that can't showcase the colors of the screen. Bright color is a key component to Apple's present brand identity, and I think Pixel Qi may be too much of an aesthetic compromise.

Besides, it gets really hot in the sun if you're wearing a black turtleneck all the time.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Also I have not checked on the pixel density achieved recently; the XO-1 is 800 x 600 with a 7.5" screen - ah ha, that works out to 133 dpi, as well - not bad for the first gen! So make it bigger and keep pushing the pixel density. If you want magazine quality viewing you need to approach colour laser printer dpi... well, no - that's up around 600 dpi for my $250 HP... but probably 200 dpi would be nice.
The Mirasol demo unit and first-gen ebook reader screen is 5.7 inches and was claimed to deliver something like 1024x768, which is well over 200ppi (some strange disparity in some claims though at exact ppi, even though it should be vaguely calculable to 224ppi). I'm really interested in getting a look at something like that, as well as seeing how they can accomplish decent grayscale on it.

I'd also like to see some of those 300+ppi screens made a few years back...could be very neat. A number of phones also approach or even exceed 300ppi, but their displays are a bit small compared to ebook readers (one exception being the expensive Fujitsu FMV Biblo U/B50, which manages 1280x800 on a 5.6" display)

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-29-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
So, as they say, close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and dancing.
Cute - I'd never heard it with the addition of dancing before. </threadjack>
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Frankly, I think it's barking mad to suggest that the iPad is going to be a "failure" because it doesn't use a specific screen technology. Nobody can say that the screen that they are using is "inadequate" - on the contrary, from all the videos, the image looks crisp and the colour vibrant.

I confidently predict that it will be a huge success.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It may hurt it among avid readers who care about how the screen is for straight text and want e-ink or some other reflective screen.

I hardly think it will fail though as the vast majority of people buying tablets won't be avid readers buying it with the main concern being reading novels, non-fiction and other types of plain text.

It's being marketed as a multimedia device and the screen looks great for the internet, video, games, magazines etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It's being marketed as a multimedia device and the screen looks great for the internet, video, games, magazines etc.
Which makes the fact that they're not supporting flash quite a bit funnier, in my opinion. I think that hurts it far more than the screen ever will, and a lot of buyers will even ignore the lack of flash support.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Precisely, and I think that's the point that some people may be overlooking. The majority of buyers will be purchasing it for music, video, web browsing, etc, not as a book reader.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Which makes the fact that they're not supporting flash quite a bit funnier, in my opinion. I think that hurts it far more than the screen ever will, and a lot of buyers will even ignore the lack of flash support.
That I do agree with. I use my iPod Touch a lot for web browsing, and lack of Flash support is a constant annoyance.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post

@stustaff While I agree with you, I must admit I do not understand the infatuation folks have with reading in direct sunlight. Here in Texas the last place I want to be on a Sunday afternoon is setting out in the sun. Now under a shade tree is fine, but it's HOT here! I never would have thought that people spend so much of their time setting in lawn chairs in direct sunlight.
Well, in Texas you've got the humidity and mosquito factor to go along with the heat.

Here in Southern Candafornia, I've been outside working all week and reading in the sun, (beach, downtown, the Valley) and it's been great.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
That's because free flash games, programs etc. on the web would render a lot of stuff in their App store useless. And thus they wouldn't get their cut from selling an App of a game that you can play in Flash on the web for free etc.

But it is a big drawback. Lack of stylus handwriting, multitasking, and Flash kill it for me.

If it had those 3 things, I'd buy one day one.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #27
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@stustaff While I agree with you, I must admit I do not understand the infatuation folks have with reading in direct sunlight. Here in Texas the last place I want to be on a Sunday afternoon is setting out in the sun. Now under a shade tree is fine, but it's HOT here! I never would have thought that people spend so much of their time setting in lawn chairs in direct sunlight.
Same here. I can't remember the last time I read outdoors.

But I just hate being outdoors very often period. Almost always too hot or too cold. Sunburn easily. Hate getting sweaty. I'm a magnet for biting insects.

I grew up in a rural state, am an Eagle Scout etc. Got my fill of the outdoors growing up and have been a pure city slicker from college on!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
That's because free flash games, programs etc. on the web would render a lot of stuff in their App store useless. And thus they wouldn't get their cut from selling an App of a game that you can play in Flash on the web for free etc.

But it is a big drawback. Lack of stylus handwriting, multitasking, and Flash kill it for me.

If it had those 3 things, I'd buy one day one.
Well it does have admittedly limited stylus and handwriting recognition now.

Buy a capacitive touch stylus approx $15 and download one of the many handwriting recognition apps. which im sure will expand once the iPad is actually released.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Well it does have admittedly limited stylus and handwriting recognition now.

Buy a capacitive touch stylus approx $15 and download one of the many handwriting recognition apps. which im sure will expand once the iPad is actually released.
Yeah, I'll keep an eye on how those work. From what I've read it seems like hand writing on capacitive touch screens is a mixed bag--especially if your write small and sloppy like I do.

So I'd have to read some reviews and demo it myself.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That I do agree with. I use my iPod Touch a lot for web browsing, and lack of Flash support is a constant annoyance.
Flash is generally a really big security headache though, which is probably why Apple doesn't want to support it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote