Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #61
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
That’s a shame, sorry you didn’t have the positive experience I’m having. I like my Oasis for night time reading using the white on black, and for in or near water. But I still prefer the little one for day to day reading.
I have a Paperwhite 4 which is already very close in size and weight to the Kindle 10th gen so the difference there is far less pronounced compared to the Oasis 2. It is, however, noticeably lighter than the Paperwhite 3.

The Paperwhites (black models at least), have a soft coat finish making them more grippy. The Kindle 10th gen, I found the smooth plastic quite slippery (mind, the smooth aluminum finish is one of the cons of the Oasis to me). The plastic seams are also rougher/sharper. Noticeably lower QC vs the Paperwhite (or just cheaper design to begin with).

At $129 Paperwhite 10th gen vs $89 Kindle 10th gen, the Kindle 10th gen is a pretty good option. At $89 Paperwhite vs $69 Kindle, I think the PW is worth the extra $20.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #62
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I have this kindle in black and think it works very, very well. The size is smaller than the Paperwhite 4 which I really like. The font is just fine and the contrast is great...I don't notice a difference at all when reading. One thing too is that it feels substantial in hand, not heavy, just sturdy. There are zero "creaks" when held and I like the texture of the back. I always use my readers "naked" and this one fits the bill well. For the cost, it's certainly worth it.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #63
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I've been reading all these posts trying to figure out which one to buy. My first ereader was a Sony. Then I went to a Kindle keyboard. I really liked that Kindle, but gave it to my mom when I bought my Fire tablet. I'm looking to get another ereader now and think the "New Kindle" would be just fine for me. I only want it to read books - no images, no comics, etc. The screen has to be better than the Kindle keyboard, and I thought that was very easy to read on. Of course, I'm going to wait for it to go on sale...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #64
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I've been reading all these posts trying to figure out which one to buy. My first ereader was a Sony. Then I went to a Kindle keyboard. I really liked that Kindle, but gave it to my mom when I bought my Fire tablet. I'm looking to get another ereader now and think the "New Kindle" would be just fine for me. I only want it to read books - no images, no comics, etc. The screen has to be better than the Kindle keyboard, and I thought that was very easy to read on. Of course, I'm going to wait for it to go on sale...
If you're fine with the Kindle Keyboard, then this new Kindle should work well. Same resolution and pixel density with higher contrast and option to use built-in front light.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #65
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Ok, I didn't post my rant. Good.

Also, the light diffuser thingy and touchscreen layer likely at least partially undo the gains in contrast from the better screen.

Still, I'm with you guys though, I'm fine with my Kindle Keyboard's screen, though I prefer my kindle manga's screen. If my kindle manga bites the dust, I'm probably getting the basic kindle to replace it. I'd rather have the extra cash.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #66
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
The light was the biggest deal for me. For my Sony, I bought an LED light that used a AAA battery and the base of it fit into a pocket on the Sony's cover. It had a flexible neck with a single LED that you had to position just right because of the glare. I used to wedge it between the Kindle keyboard and its cover when I got that. It was a pain, which is why I switched to tablets.

I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid around $200 for the Sony not including the cover and the light. Even at full price, this new Kindle is under $100 and the people here are talking like it's the worst thing out there. Just amazes me. My, how times have changed.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #67
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The light was the biggest deal for me. For my Sony, I bought an LED light that used a AAA battery and the base of it fit into a pocket on the Sony's cover. It had a flexible neck with a single LED that you had to position just right because of the glare. I used to wedge it between the Kindle keyboard and its cover when I got that. It was a pain, which is why I switched to tablets.

I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid around $200 for the Sony not including the cover and the light. Even at full price, this new Kindle is under $100 and the people here are talking like it's the worst thing out there. Just amazes me. My, how times have changed.
In all honesty, my Sony PRS-350 has a more premium feel than this. Comparing with older devices, yes, this should be quite a nice features upgrade at a much cheaper cost.

It's certainly not the worst thing ever. However at $69 for the Kindle 10th gen and $89 for the PW4 (plus 20% cashback on PW4 for Amazon Prime credit card users), this wasn't worth the minor cost savings to me.

Now if we're only looking at full MSRP of $89 and $129, the price differential makes better sense.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #68
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
KT4, 5.11

All my books (all sideloaded) have an infernal "tick" sign on the right. What is that, and how do I remove it?

Does anyone else think the UI SUCKS?
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #69
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ripkindle View Post
KT4, 5.11

All my books (all sideloaded) have an infernal "tick" sign on the right. What is that, and how do I remove it?

Does anyone else think the UI SUCKS?
The tick means "on local Kindle". Yes, it's useless. It's been there since 5.6 or 5.8 or something like that.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #70
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The tick means "on local Kindle". Yes, it's useless. It's been there since 5.6 or 5.8 or something like that.
So, that's what it means. (I always have the downloaded filter on.) For me, then, it is worse than useless because it is so distracting and always there.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #71
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I noticed on YouTube videos that the pw.4 and gen10 kindle have a sustained black flicker on page turn. It hasn't changed since my kindle keyboard.
This is the only reason to stop using the keyboard as far as I'm concerned.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Patricia1066: Err, what?

You'll pretty much always have to see it in person to effectively measure how pleasant you find how a specific device handles eInk refreshes.

Kindles tend to be at the forefront of "Doing It Right", though.

(It's unclear to me if you're talking about the good old black flash, which can be controlled, and is getting far more efficient that on older devices, even when you do enforce it; or more subtle trickery involved in non-flashing REAGL updates, which do magically weird shit if you happen to look at it frame-by-frame, which is meaningless, since you're not reading that way ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #73
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@Patricia1066,

Also remember that camera's recording frame rate can spoil the effect compared to seeing it in person. So just try in person first, this will give you much better understanding of this 'flicker'.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #74
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Yes, I'll try it out. Pity whsmith no longer offer the chance to try reading devices here in UK. Anyone know where I should go in London?
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
Yes, I'll try it out. Pity whsmith no longer offer the chance to try reading devices here in UK. Anyone know where I should go in London?
A little over 10 years ago, when the expensive at the time Kindle 2 came out, and there were reports of screens fading in sunlight and of wide variations in contrast, and amazon was the only source, a number of people around here met up in a coffee shop so owners could compare and prospective buyers could see one for themselves.

The stakes are lower now, but London is really big, so maybe a similar meetup could be arranged.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote