Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #316
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Baring in mind that I'm probably one of the younger members of this forum...
Those slipped right past me. I barely remember when the original Doritos were put on the market back in the 1960s, at least I think I do.

How many of you guys remember the Frito Bandito mascot? Politically incorrect by today's standards, but then so was the Andy Griffith Show and a large percentage of the cartoons and other shows we watched.

And this guy is not politically correct now either:

OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #317
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Those slipped right past me. I barely remember when the original Doritos were put on the market back in the 1960s, at least I think I do.

How many of you guys remember the Frito Bandito mascot? Politically incorrect by today's standards, but then so was the Andy Griffith Show and a large percentage of the cartoons and other shows we watched.

I even remember the song. Definitely not PC. It's amazing how many shows don't meet today's standards. A different time for sure.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #318
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #319
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I even remember the song. Definitely not PC. It's amazing how many shows don't meet today's standards. A different time for sure.
Well that is the thing, they are from half a century ago. Most of the complaints I hear concerning shows like I Love Lucy and the Andy Griffith Show are from younger people who are not familiar with the 1950s and 1960s. As you said, it was a different era and those kinds of shows were not politically incorrect for their time period. The Frito Bandito on the other hand was no doubt politically incorrect even back then, but he was the mascot for a San Antonio based company and I don’t recall any complaints at the time, which is rather surprising. But then again that was a time when Bill Dana’s fictional character of José Jiménez was extremely popular. Since Dana was not hispanic, he was Hungarian, it is amazing he didn’t get a lot of push back. Definitely a different era back then.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #320
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It was already in syndication by the time my brother and I watched it in the mid-1960s. I think it was filmed in the 1950s. I barely remember it now, but we loved it and would rush home after school to watch it in the late afternoon.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #321
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I don’t recall any complaints at the time, which is rather surprising,
Not surprising at all, in those days if something in the media (or on the street for that mater) offended the simple expedient was to simply not watch.

Today's generation has to get all in your face, whether offence was intended or not.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #322
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

My fav sci-fi movie:

Quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 epic science fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay was written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, and was inspired by Clarke's short story "The Sentinel". A novel also called 2001: A Space Odyssey, written concurrently with the screenplay, was published soon after the film was released. The film, which follows a voyage to Jupiter with the sentient computer HAL after the discovery of a mysterious black monolith affecting human evolution, deals with themes of existentialism, human evolution, technology, artificial intelligence, and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. The film is noted for its scientifically accurate depiction of spaceflight, pioneering special effects, and ambiguous imagery. Sound and dialogue are used sparingly and often in place of traditional cinematic and narrative techniques. The soundtrack incorporates a number of pieces of classical music, among them Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, "The Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss II, and works by Aram Khachaturian and György Ligeti.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #323
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Politically Incorrect Commercials

Old 05-24-2019, 01:56 AM   #324
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Politically incorrect by todays standards:

How about John Wayne playing Genghis Khan in The Conquerors?

Quote:
Well I tell you one thing pilgrim, er, uh Mongul...
Or how about Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto in that series of movies?

And then there was Marlon Brando playing the Japanese character Sakima in The Teahouse of the August Moon.

Just to name a few...
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #325
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Politically incorrect by todays standards:

How about John Wayne playing Genghis Khan in The Conquerors?

Or how about Peter Lorre as Mr. Moto in that series of movies?

And then there was Marlon Brando playing the Japanese character Sakima in The Teahouse of the August Moon.

Just to name a few...
Yep. During WWII, films depicting the Japanese were downright racist and American audiences ate it up with glee. I cringe whenever I see scenes from this time period.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-24-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #326
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Well that is the thing, they are from half a century ago. Most of the complaints I hear concerning shows like I Love Lucy and the Andy Griffith Show are from younger people who are not familiar with the 1950s and 1960s. As you said, it was a different era and those kinds of shows were not politically incorrect for their time period. The Frito Bandito on the other hand was no doubt politically incorrect even back then, but he was the mascot for a San Antonio based company and I don’t recall any complaints at the time, which is rather surprising. But then again that was a time when Bill Dana’s fictional character of José Jiménez was extremely popular. Since Dana was not hispanic, he was Hungarian, it is amazing he didn’t get a lot of push back. Definitely a different era back then.
As a near-native San Antonioian of the times, these was most certainly complaints from the Hispanic community. The complaints are what caused the mascot to be dropped.

Was there at the time(s). . . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #327
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Here is another really bad example, Micky Rooney playing Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Also pretty much every Native American character in the numerous western genre movies were played by white actors wearing dark makeup, and they were called Indians or even Injuns.

And if we go way back in time to Shakespeare's era, all women were played by male actors because they though women couldn't act.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #328
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I just thought of this one, a whole bunch of the popular cartoon characters of the 1950s and 1960s had speech impediments, like Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Donald Duck, etc. While not racially insensitive, it was certainly insensitive to children who had/have speech impediments, especially since many of those characters were portrayed as being rather lower on the IQ scale.

Come to think of it, did Porky ever wear pants --if not that's whole different issue!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #329
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

And Pepé Le Pew should be on the #metoo list, pretty high up on it actually. (My cats asked me to mention this one. )

He was definitely a "little stinker," and certainly not a good role model for little boys in the 1960s.

Last edited by OtinG; 05-24-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #330
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
And Pepé Le Pew should be on the #metoo list, pretty high up on it actually. (My cats asked me to mention this one. )

He was definitely a "little stinker," and certainly not a good role model for little boys in the 1960s.

I learned French watching his cartoons - le meow, le purr, le skunk...