Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ebook reader with high memory

I will like a ereader that allows me to store 400gb of ebooks.
I like to store all my ebooks in one place.
It is all right if the memory comes from microsd.
The ereader must be able to read epub and pdf documents.
Must be able to read epub with chinese words, as well.

Last edited by chongjasmine; 11-09-2019 at 04:55 AM.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #2
Dav_25
Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: too many
I have never seen an ereader having such capacity unfortunately.
The best I have seen was the Boyue ereaders (Alita, Mimas), they can be used with an SD card of up to 128GB, which is quite nice.
Dav_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks. Any other recommendations?
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
iPad Pro with 1TB of storage? The 12.9" screen works well with most PDFs and supports marking up PDFs using either an Apple Pencil or a finger. We picked up a pack of the 512GB version for work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
Dav_25
Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dav_25 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
Thanks. Any other recommendations?
Here is the wiki link for the Mimas (couldn't find it for the Alita), you should see about the 128Gb sd card :

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/BOYUE_Likebook_Mimas
Advert
Old 11-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Dav_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
iPad Pro with 1TB of storage? The 12.9" screen works well with most PDFs and supports marking up PDFs using either an Apple Pencil or a finger. We picked up a pack of the 512GB version for work.
The iPad pro is not an ereader. He will damage his eyes with it.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav_25 View Post
People look at screens all day, if actual damage was occurring, it would be front page news. There are also many users here who read on tablets or smart phones.

You can't just say they will "damage his eyes" as a blanket statement. There are many variables involved, not to mention simple preferences.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav_25 View Post
Pull the other one... It's got bells. The current state of the discussion as to whether LCD/AMOLED/any backlit screen causes eye damage has not reached any solid conclusions backed by rigourous testing.

And, yes the iPad Pro mades a pretty decent ereader (IMNSHO). The screen size is much better than most eInk ereaders for PDF files which are often formatted for letter/A4 paper size and the CPU and RAM handle complex PDFs better than most dedicated reading devices. Playing with the brighness and background colours can help for long reading sessions though most discussions seem predicated on everyone using a reading device having the brightness cranked to the maximum and no other display options being available.

I do prefer my eInk devices for long reading sessions but then I know of few others who will read for 4+ hours in a single session. I don't assume that everyone will have the same experience though I do wonder about some of my younger relatives who spend hours in front of a screen, playing games, browsing Instagram, Twitter and ghod alone knows what other social media sites, on rare occasions, working on homework, etc. None of them have had their eyesight destroyed or damaged as a result.

Now if you had stuck to the real drawbacks of the iPad Pro such as it being rather heavy for a device to be handheld for hours or the battery life being far shorter than an eInk device, your post might have been worth reading.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An iPad won't damage your eyes. Maybe the bank balance. It's less tiring than a 6" eink for Letter or A4 PDFs. Novels in epub/mobi/azw are likely less tiring on eInk and longer battery life. If you only want to read big PDFs, you can get a good enough 10" Android tablet for 1/2 the price of an iPad. You might need a larger tablet for some PDFs.

You can put maybe 5000+ novels, many illustrated, on an 8G ereader with 6.7G free at Factory reset. Probably closer to 6K.
At one a day that's about 13 years reading. At one a week nearly 96 years. I might sometimes manage three books in a day, if they are about 45,000 words and I do absolutely nothing else and stay up very late.

If the storage is needed because of comics, magazines, PDFs, Manga etc, then get a 12" Android or Windows tablet that takes a 256G micro SDHX card, about £30 or less. The cost of iPad storage is crazy. Though 10" MIGHT be big enough.

I'm convinced eInk based eReaders originally had SD card slots because there was only 0.3G to 1.3G Flash free after the OS. Most people with ordinary novels will find 4G enough and 8G is loads for regular novels. More graphic or PDF content is dire on 6", dubious on 7" and marginal on 8". The 10" to 14" range of eink are madly expensive and the big Sony ones are really ONLY for PDF, not actually ereaders.

Best to have a 6" or 7" for novels and a big colour LCD tablet (but not overpriced iPad) for graphic / PDF stuff.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 AM   #10
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If we don't want to spend a lot of money on expensive high-storage iPads and e-readers we can buy a cheaper 64 GB iPad Pro e.g. used 10.5 version (featuring Antireflective coating, Fully laminated display, Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, Wide color display (P3), True Tone display ... ) and some Wireless Media Drive or some cheap 50 $ wi-fi HDD enclosure (putting some older 200-300 GB HDD thereon).

Those wi-fi drives and enclosures create their own wi-fi network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=SanDisk...ref=nb_sb_noss

I can connect my eink readers to wi-fi enclosure over USB and then transfer books wirelessly (between e-reader, enclosure and iPad, or Android tablet) using iOS/Android app (for our enclosure), or without USB connection, just using enlosure's wi-fi network and free iPad's apps with file server capabilities (if our enk reader has got a web browser) or even without iPad if our e-reader is also capable of installing Android apps thereon.

Last edited by Marinolino; 11-13-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Don't buy an Apple ANYTHING if you want to save money. Some items are 70% margin.
They are primarily a marketing company.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Getting back on topic. The LikeBook Ares has the same SDcard 128GB reader as the Mimas and isn't quite that expensive.

What's even nicer: I remember the Kobo line being marketed as limited to 32GB cards. However, I had a 64GB sdcard internally and a 128GB externally. So it is a good chance that these LikeBooks are garanteed to work up to 128GB. After that it's what you are able to pull off.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
I will like a ereader that allows me to store 400gb of ebooks.
I like to store all my ebooks in one place.
It is all right if the memory comes from microsd.
The ereader must be able to read epub and pdf documents.
Must be able to read epub with chinese words, as well.
The best match for these requirements is an eink monitor for your laptop/netbook/MHL-capable smartphone. There happens to be such a Chinese product http://www.dasungtech.com/
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote