Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 12:18 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Pajamaman: Close, but no cigar.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I jailbreak so I can install my own fonts. Kindle supports custom fonts now, but only for azw3 books and -- in my case anyway -- it causes a weird chapter skippijg bug when I use custom fonts. Plus with jailbreak I can replace the UI fonts too, so menu and book listing texts are bigger (and nicer looking than the default fonts, imo)

Plus making the dictionary font bigger

Plus reducing book margins to minimal

Plus using your own pics or book cover as screen saver. Not a must, just a nice to have bonus

The main downside is once you're used to the perks, it sucks when you lose jailbreak or have to get a new device that can't be jail broken.

Sent from my G6 using Tapatalk
My question is if you want all these things that are available in other Readers, why go with a Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Someone posted a goodereader link? I find it a useful resource. Shame the link was deleted.
It was not GoodEReader that was linked. It was another site that ripped off the work of some good people and is charging for it.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was not GoodEReader that was linked. It was another site that ripped off the work of some good people and is charging for it.
Ah, my mistake. You could paste the guide and not give the author a credit

Last edited by Pajamaman; 11-03-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No. Third-party documentation is the bane of my existence.

If there's an issue with the available doc, constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #21
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
My question is if you want all these things that are available in other Readers, why go with a Kindle?
I ended up with Kindles because of the screen lighting. I've tried other e-readers and Kindle is the only one which screens I really like. So jailbreaking a Kindle does seem like a good idea.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
What I'm looking for is experiences with jailbroken Kindles. Why did you want to jailbreak?
Disclaimer:
I have jailbroken the very first Kindle Paperwhite, so it was quite a long time ago. The features of third-party programs have improved since and so have the features of the original firmware.

So ...
I got the [then] new Paperwhite, because it was the only e-ink reader at the time that has front-light. I have also had an unique opportunity to buy new Paperwhite, because at the time I was in USA. Normally, here in Europe, everything electronic is considerably more expensive than in USA.

After getting the Kindle I realized that while the hardware was gorgeous, I hated the firmware with a passion. *EVERYTHING* about it irritated me. You see ... up until that time I was using PocketBook that had the most advanced features at the time and had *lots* of configuration options, had possibility to add high quality third-party programs without a hassle. So I was spoiled rotten. Before that I have read on notebooks, PDAs, Sony Reader, previous PocketBook devices - so I had a very precise idea what options I want and Kindle at the time offered anything but. No configuration options, not even the ability to change fonts, switch of front-light completely, set left justification or sane margins. And do not get me started on library interface in the form of a long list of books (instead my cherished hierarchical folders).
Quote:
Is it only for the screensavers? And now that you've jailbroken your Kindle is it really what you'd hoped for?
No, it was not for screensavers, the jailbreak at the time did not support that (I think), but after switching off the WiFi for a long time and applying numerous hacks I have somehow screwed up something, so my Paperwhite stopped displaying the adds when switched off.
Jailbreak did give me access to some configuration options, interesting third party programs, I have even installed the entire alternative firmware from China alongside the jailbreak (you had to reboot the Kindle into other system), but I did not like that one either. I think that this was the moment when Amazon went to overdrive to prevent us from future hacking.
Quote:
And is it easy to maintain the jailbreak?
Super easy. Just switch off the WiFi off. Normally I like to sideload and I keep WiFi off, so it was no big deal.
Quote:
I just want to know if it's really worth it, and if people regret jailbreaking their device because it's not what they'd hoped. Or it's too difficult to maintain the jailbreak. Or if they kind of really wanted the new update (because of features?), but can't because it's now jailbroken.
It was worth it, but even with the jailbroken system and *all* the hacks that were available at the time I was still not satisfied with the Paperwhite.
So when PocketBook came up with a new front-lit model I have sold the Paperwhite and got PocketBook. (and was frustrated again, because they abandoned some features that made previous models so attractive, but that is a rant for another long post )
Quote:
I have this voice in the back of my head saying I should jailbreak once it's possible, but on the other hand, it it really worth it? If it's only for the screensavers, I can live without those.
Is there any risk?
Why can't you have both?

DISCLAIMER:
there are many, many people that are perfectly happy with Kindles the way they are, or have only very minor issues with the original firmware features. Many of them got their Kindle as a very first e-book reader, so they are not used to certain settings. I personally got used to a different set of features on a reader before I got that Kindle. I have also worked in desk-top publishing for a while, so I notice things about typography that the vast majority of people do not see at the first or the second glance.

</rant mode>
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Is there any risk?
Why can't you have both?
Well, I could of course totally mess up the jailbreak and be stuck with a defective Kindle.

I'm glad people are so happy with their jailbreak. It makes me want to try as soon as it's possible with the newest firmware.

Quote:
Super easy. Just switch off the WiFi off. Normally I like to sideload and I keep WiFi off, so it was no big deal.
And I always have the Wifi off and sideload all my books, so that's good to know!
Old 11-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
DISCLAIMER:
there are many, many people that are perfectly happy with Kindles the way they are, or have only very minor issues with the original firmware features. Many of them got their Kindle as a very first e-book reader, so they are not used to certain settings. I personally got used to a different set of features on a reader before I got that Kindle. I have also worked in desk-top publishing for a while, so I notice things about typography that the vast majority of people do not see at the first or the second glance.
You just described me. I've never jailbroken any of my Kindles, haven't felt the need. Especially now that you can install custom fonts (that was my biggest gripe with the Kindle firmware). I haven't experienced any bugs with custom fonts on my Kindles. I'm fine with the default margins and line-spacing, but I do install custom font sizes (the FONT_RAMP hack). You don't need to jailbreak for that. They only work with the azw3 format, but that's the format I use in any case, so no problem.

Funny thing is, I was not satisfied with the default line-spacing options on my Kobo and had to patch for that. But I use a different font on the Kobo, so that might be the reason.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-04-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, I could of course totally mess up the jailbreak and be stuck with a defective Kindle.

I'm glad people are so happy with their jailbreak. It makes me want to try as soon as it's possible with the newest firmware.
You cannot jailbreak with the newest firmware. Amazon have fixed it so that's no longer possible.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Funny thing is, I was not satisfied with the default line-spacing options on my Kobo and had to patch for that. But I use a different font on the Kobo, so that might be the reason.
Looking at the font Charis SIL, version 4 had smaller spacing between the lines and version 5 has larger spacing between the lines. I don't know if this difference shows on a Kindle.

I have modified ChareInk so it has a smaller line height on a Kindle.

So yes, different fonts can have different line heights. Thw thing is, Kindles use different metadata in the fonts for the line height vs. RMSDK. Why, I have no idea.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Looking at the font Charis SIL, version 4 had smaller spacing between the lines and version 5 has larger spacing between the lines. I don't know if this difference shows on a Kindle.

I have modified ChareInk so it has a smaller line height on a Kindle.

So yes, different fonts can have different line heights. Thw thing is, Kindles use different metadata in the fonts for the line height vs. RMSDK. Why, I have no idea.
The CharisSIL I use on my Kindles is version 4. ChareInk has a bit too small line-height for my taste. And it doesn't look quite as good on the Kindles as the earlier version (imho, of course).

Yes, Kindles render fonts differently than Kobos. The difference is small, barely noticeable, but it's there. I found that LexiaDama with patched line-heights works best for me on my Libra, I never considered it my favorite on my Kindles.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
You cannot jailbreak with the newest firmware. Amazon have fixed it so that's no longer possible.
That has been true multiple times in the past, until it wasn't.

Whether or not there will be any future jailbreak no one can say.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #29
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseKOA View Post
Please guide me, make bigger font for dictionary, menu UI with kindle jailbroken
Read what @mergen3107 wrote in the post below yours for how to change the dictionary font size

As for changing the UI font, you need to install the font hack, then over ride either Amazon ember or futura, I don't remember which. This is risky and could cause your Kindle to boot loop, so first you should make sure your font works and you can over ride one of the safer fonts, like Baskerville.

Sent from my G6 using Tapatalk
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #30
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
I know this, but I have lots of faith in all those reader hackers with lots of free time.

Tags
why jailbreak