Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So then why is it wasting space as a sticky, forcing me to scroll down just to see active threads? If this sticky is dead, why is it stickied right up at the top when it should be six feet under?
This sticky is for Mobileread's IRC channel.
The question I answered was about kNetConnect.com's forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Ahh.. So the channel is actually active? Long time since I was there...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's not very active, but we do get visitors.

A number of lurkers, a couple people who discuss $RandomStuff, etc. I keep it open in Thunderbird's Chat thingy -- every once in a while someone comes in and asks a question or two, so I try to make sure they can actually get a response.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Good point, I should put my bnc back in there...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #35
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IRC is so ephemeral, like writing on wet sand. I hope the good chat content gets copied to the forums, like I did with my early IRC debricking episodes (which grew into the "simple debricking" thread). I also did that in other threads too -- but much work to edit them to fit in the MR edit box without line wraps, and edit out the useless cruft, and get permission from all relevant participants...
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #36
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
BNC? I still have some of those in my walls and ceilings from the 10-Base-2 days, and a box full of tees and 50-ohm terminators. And I ran even slower ARCNET before that! And I even had 25-pin serial I/O cables strung through the walls before that... Kinda sorta faster than sneakernet, sometimes... (Don't laugh)!

Yeah, you probably meant something else (but I have no idea what).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-24-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_%28software%29#IRC

tl;dr it's a bouncer and keeps you logged in.

In the event that anything worthy of permanence comes up, I shall certainly post it here for posterity.
Usually it involves realtime repetition of collected bits of information already here.

Code:
3:43:57 PM - Radioactdave: Hi folks. I've got a Kindle Paperwhite on 5.4.5
FW. I'd like to jb it. Should I update the FW (flash a newer one) or is it not
worth the hassle?
3:49:01 PM - eschwartz: Jailbreak now, and afterward if you wish to update
the firmware it will be safe to do so without losing the jailbreak.
3:49:26 PM - Radioactdave: Wait, the JB is persistent?
3:49:52 PM - eschwartz: Yes, it includes a "bridge" which is designed to
restore the jailbreak after a firmware update.
3:50:46 PM - Radioactdave: Okay, thanks, seems like I've got to do more
reading on the subject.
3:58:14 PM - Radioactdave: Does the jailbreak survive a device reset via
the menu?
4:45:38 PM - eschwartz: A factory reset removes the bridge, and combined
with a firmware update will completely remove every last conceivable trace
of the jailbreak. Don't do it unless instructed to as part of an emergency
debricking procedure performed over a serial port!
4:46:31 PM - eschwartz: That being said, the bridge attempts to insert itself
for redundancy into the initscripts, for more or less this exact reason.
4:46:46 PM - eschwartz: So all hope is not lost if you perform a factory reset.
4:46:56 PM - eschwartz: As long as you don't get hit with a firmware update.
4:48:04 PM - eschwartz: You can add a few backup files to the device userstore
and the upstart service will perform a self-repair of the bridge.
4:48:13 PM - eschwartz: BUT!!!!!
4:48:16 PM - eschwartz: Why risk it???
4:48:28 PM - eschwartz: Just keep away from the factory reset.
Worthy? Or not?

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-24-2016 at 06:04 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Looks good to me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GM: Yep, actually did wire a house w/ 1/10 coax at one point... . That is, with a rather generous definition of "wire" (i.e., stuff hanging out the windows ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #40
geekmaster

Quote:
@GM: Yep, actually did wire a house w/ 1/10 coax at one point... . That is, with a rather generous definition of "wire" (i.e., stuff hanging out the windows ).
I actually cut a hole in my oak hardware floor, to snake a 25-pin RS-232 cable (with connector) through. I did not feel like unsoldering and re-soldering all those wires (solder-pot connectors), risking swapping some of them. For that matter, why DID they connect all those wires (pretty much in all cables back then) when RS-232 only used a few of them?

I had a couple of thousand-foot rolls of gigabit-rated cat-5e network cable, but I gave one to a friend (the all-teflon-coated plenum-rated wire). I still have a thousand-foot spool (Radio Shack brand) still shrink-wrapped, should I even run out of pre-made cables (yeah, when everything I use is wifi these days)... I still avoid wifi when I need physical security, but those projects have been awhile ago...

And for that matter, I have some big fat low-loss LMR-100 microwave cable strung here and there in my house too. At least I never needed to install any hollow-core water-cooled coax (but that crap spins the power meters anyway)...

And just for fun, while reminiscing, I not only have a 40W CO2 laser than can easily remove carelessly place body parts, I even have an ancient (quite rare) Helium-Neon laser that is powerful enough to cut thin metal when focused. I grunt when I pick that one up...

What is it with today? All these OLD memories keep getting triggered by just about everything I stumble across. I think it might be helping to distract me from my back pain -- yeah, that's it!

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-24-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Our AT&T tech had to laugh when he saw the phone line connected to the modem. The line had been run from the phone box, up to the small hole by the air conditioner across the ceiling through a doorway, then to a jack and down to the modem.
Needless to say since I had qualified for them to run new phone line free, the tech had although he didn't say them outloud, some choice words for his colleague. I got a new phone line.
Though the guy did draw the line at connecting my devices to my wifi. He said I could do it myself.
Gee , just because you have a couple of laptops and ereaders, they think you are smart.

Oh and I found the chat room.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #42
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
I was wondering where you'd gone.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #43
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Are people still chatting over IRC? I see nobody over there
This thread can be removed from its Sticky Status if really it is inactive
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #44
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Last I checked in there were people who'd join, ask a question, and leave within a minute... And the regulars who are idling most of the time, but obviously they already know of its existence, so...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #45
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
time to have some others moderators?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, developers corner, development, irc, web chat