Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No concerns about being a skin Flint? Or not supporting the art?
Nope. That principle still applies. Those authors I most love, I support by buying their books. When I can.

When money is tight....I'm glad I can now checkout a Baen book from the library.
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Baen Free Library: No membership required.

https://www.baen.com/allbooks/catego...r=name&dir=ASC

Everyone of these is Free to keep, you just can't sell or trade them (The Author still has Copyright)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I believe you can search for "Baen", but the results are not going to be all and only Baen books.

Permanent free. As in the cost is $0.00.
Okay, thanks. I was able to search for Baen Books but found none — and then it let me look for ones not in the library (where I got the full results). I was able to click on the publisher link from there, but still... zilch. But this deal was just made, so I guess it really doesn't mean much that they don't have gotten any in yet.

I see now the free Baen books (another link in this thread). It's weird that Amazon is selling some of those that Baen is giving away free.

(EDIT: I see now, when I go to "more options" they are also giving the book away. Weird.)

EDIT 2: An explanation. You pay for the 2nd Edition. The 1st edition is free.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-15-2019 at 06:06 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #19
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Excellent! The polar opposite of Macmillan. I'll have to keep an eye out for any at my library.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

EDIT 2: An explanation. You pay for the 2nd Edition. The 1st edition is free.
That is their way of keeping some books in the free library without violating the sale price policy on Amazon. The original release is 1st edition, the more recently edited (minor changes and references to other books in the series) version is the 2nd edition. Probably the biggest change was that a pair of characters that became important to latter books in the series were "de-aged" from retirees to middle age.

They've done the same with several other books.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is their way of keeping some books in the free library without violating the sale price policy on Amazon. The original release is 1st edition, the more recently edited (minor changes and references to other books in the series) version is the 2nd edition. Probably the biggest change was that a pair of characters that became important to latter books in the series were "de-aged" from retirees to middle age.

They've done the same with several other books.
Yes, there are about 25 titled "Second editions", more usually with an additional author's afterword and/or additional material rather than updated text. Amazon shows 37 Baen Books Freebies.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Yes, there are about 25 titled "Second editions", more usually with an additional author's afterword and/or additional material rather than updated text. Amazon shows 37 Baen Books Freebies.
The 37 free ones are probably the ones my consortium got (Ohio Digital Library). A quick sample check of about 5 books are all free on Amazon. Baen possibly has cheaper terms on those books, but I doubt for free for the libraries. None of them have epub versions. Only advantage of going through library might be broader reach as you don't need to use an Amazon account.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All the free ones can be "bought" for free from Baen directly. And downloaded in all popular formats. You don't need Amazon or your library, just follow the link theducks posted to the Baen Free Library.

Charlie.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
All the free ones can be "bought" for free from Baen directly. And downloaded in all popular formats. You don't need Amazon or your library, just follow the link theducks posted to the Baen Free Library.

Charlie.
Part of the reason Amazon gets away selling titles that you can get for 'Free' (legally) , is many folk are too lazy to learn how to load any other way other than click 'buy' on the device.

My ex has no problem loading a pattern onto her sewing machine, but put a (native format) book on the Kindle . 'to confusing'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Too true. Though the Free ones should also be available on Amazon, for free. You just have to poke a bit to find the "First Edition", instead of the not-free Second Edition. MUCH easier to just get from Baen. Really. And email it to your kindle if you're sideloading challenged.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote