Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #76
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No wonder the GL 6” experience at my local store sucks.

It’s many versions behind (on 48 or 49.x.something) and won’t update and the staff seem not to really care.

Bummer. Was hoping to see/feel the speed changes in person

Last edited by bookyboy; 11-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #77
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Updated my Glowlight 3 to 50.0.117. Negative first: The database is broken, so when I eject the device all the books are there but it's all scrambeled. When I try to open my current book, it seems to pick one at random. But when I find my current book, it opens to the correct location. My Glowlight's been that way for a long time, so it isn't new behavior. It seems to be my Glowlight. At least, I haven't heard others complain about it.

Now on to the positive: Man is it faster! It's faster when browsing my library and faster when searching. The Glowlight 3 is as fast or faster than my Clara and my 2015 Plus running 50.0.118.

Also, while the database is screwy, I don't have to wait ten minutes after ejecting for the Glowlight to settle in.

My 3 was running 49.something before I updated. Overall, the update is a massive improvement. The Plus has always been stable, but the 3 is so much better than it was.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-25-2019 at 10:22 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #78
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Awesome!

Thx for the report!
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #79
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Glorioski! I got the firmware update and now, for the first time, "delete" actually deletes something when I mark it to go away.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #80
Sheilafitz
Sheilafitz began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
yes my screensaver option went away too after the update. It's not my favorite the book symbols. I like the quotes better. But I guess it will have to do.
I'm just glad that it's just not me. I wish they would get it fixed.
Sheilafitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #81
Sheilafitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
Has anyone else had their screensavers change or disappear after the update? I used to have the quotes screensavers but after the update it switched to something else. When I went to the screen settings, there was no longer an option to pick screensavers. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Updated my Glowlight 3 to 50.0.117. Negative first: The database is broken, so when I eject the device all the books are there but it's all scrambeled. When I try to open my current book, it seems to pick one at random. But when I find my current book, it opens to the correct location. My Glowlight's been that way for a long time, so it isn't new behavior. It seems to be my Glowlight. At least, I haven't heard others complain about it.

Now on to the positive: Man is it faster! It's faster when browsing my library and faster when searching. The Glowlight 3 is as fast or faster than my Clara and my 2015 Plus running 50.0.118.

Also, while the database is screwy, I don't have to wait ten minutes after ejecting for the Glowlight to settle in.

My 3 was running 49.something before I updated. Overall, the update is a massive improvement. The Plus has always been stable, but the 3 is so much better than it was.
Maybe it's going faster bc of the deletion of the screensaver option? too much space taken up?
I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #82
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Does something strange happen in the hours between 8 and 10PM or so, Pacific Time, to grossly slow the Nook GL down? I've noticed that waking up the Nook seems to hang at the little "swipe sideways to unlock" box. Or if I had it already powered on, then paging through the library is extremely slow.

GenerallyI have to power cycle the Nook and that means holding the top button for several minutes before it notices the input.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #83
Sheilafitz

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappa Key View Post
I talked with a Nook support person today and the option to select
screen savers is no longer available with the new firmware.

I am enjoying the increased speed. The Nook now seems equal to my ClaraHD, if not a tad faster.
Ah what a shame for the screensaver.

I do too see a quicker speed. But do feel though it's more touchy than my kindle.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #84
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Does something strange happen in the hours between 8 and 10PM or so, Pacific Time, to grossly slow the Nook GL down? I've noticed that waking up the Nook seems to hang at the little "swipe sideways to unlock" box. Or if I had it already powered on, then paging through the library is extremely slow.

GenerallyI have to power cycle the Nook and that means holding the top button for several minutes before it notices the input.
Mine syncs at around 10:15PM EST
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook