Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Tom, I'm not aware of anyone who has both the jetBook and the Sony 300.

But I can tell you that I have noticed that jetBook owners have expressed much more enthusiasm for it than 300 owners have for their device.
Perhaps because the 300 owners are busier reading books on their devices? (j/k)

Seriously, I haven't used a Jetbook but the 300 is a fine option imo. I don't think the 'limitations' mentioned above are truly such. I now have about 200 novels in my 300 (in pdf/lrf/lrx/epub formats), and am using less than 1/3 of the internal memory. This is probably a years' worth of reading, with plenty of room to spare, and a huge variety of books. So I do not see the lack of a memory slot as a 'limitation.'

The 300 e-ink screen is great. Haven't seen a jetbook to compare. The approx. 3 weeks battery life is also great--just spent 2 weeks in Fla. and didn't need to bring a charger. I like the form factor of the 300 too (having used a 500 and 505 for over 2 years). It fits nicely in my pants pocket, and is still very comfortable for being absorbed into book after book after book....

Many folks do seem to love their Jetbooks, so I don;'t think you'll go wrong either way. ANd the 5" screen is a fine form factor.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Well, I just ordered a Jetbook from BB&B with the 20% off coupon. I still haven't actually seen one in person but I know I can return the thing to the local store if I don't like it. Also, I'm hearing that Sony has run out of readers anyway along with the Nook.

I figure I'll have my reading material plus a bunch of reference material that I use in my job. That's another reason for wanting the SD slot. I would keep all the "static" items on the SD and my person reading on the JB memory.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 04:25 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac9ts View Post
Also, I'm hearing that Sony has run out of readers anyway along with the Nook.
There certainly don't appear to be any supply shortages with Sony here in the UK!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
the sony reader does have an e-ink screen, though - the jetbook doesn't. if that doesn't matter to you either way, i, too, have noticed the jetbook owners are quite enthusiastic.
It mattered a lot to me. I'd never give up the jetBook's superior, day-light readable screen for mere eInk.

In truth, the jetBook screen really is superior. The only disadvantage to the jetBook is you have to charge the jetBook once a week instead of once every two weeks like most eInk readers (oh the horror). In return, you get somewhat better contrast and instant screen repaint.

On the other hand, the jetBook's software is not quite as refined as the Sonys' by my casual observation.

On the gripping hand, as Kris mentioned, the jetBook has some utility features the Sonys don't have. It also has multi-language dictionaries built in.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, prs300