Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you choose for me?
Nook 7 21.88%
PRS-600 17 53.13%
Kindle 2 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
One more "Choose for me!" thread.

Ohai:

I am very interested in purchasing an ebook reader for myself this Christmas, and I am currently between three: Nook, PRS-600 and the Kindle 2.

After searching a good amount on these forums I could not quite make up my mind.

Which would you recommend based on selection of books and retailers to choose from, ability to annotate, extra features(IE: Browser, wikipedia access etc.) and your over all happiness with it.

I am partial to the Nook, but I realize BnN has been accused of(and rightfully so) some dirty business practices involving its development, as well as the big grey area of whether or not some features will eventually be implemented.

Oh and the super-duper attached poll will halp.

Teh Fuzzykinz
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
PocketBook 360.
I have recently purchased one myself and it is great little machine.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

Oh and....

The ability to have alternate dictionaries would be wonderful! Such as a English to German dictionary.

Thanks for your replies/votes!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
You might have to take the Nook off your list if you want it before Christmas. News today is talking about delays in shipping.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If wireless browser capability is important to you, I can't help.

But if the English-German dictionary is important, you might want to look at the jetBook and the jetBook Lite. I like the Lite because it runs on rechargeable AA flashlight batteries.

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-jetbook-lite/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

I'm starting to lean towards the PRS-600, while at the same time I am going to wait for the Nooks release anyway just to see if it's the amazing piece of hardware many claim.

Thanks for helping me get to this point guys.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Since I have no information about you or your e-book reading priorities, it's difficult to guess what reading device would help you the most. For example, if you're looking specifically for the Kindle's wireless capabilities, then the Sony won't be very useful. But if you're at all interested in using a touchscreen device, then the Kindle is right out.

I think you'll find your decision much easier when you list out what you see as the pros & cons of each.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
Pocketbook 360
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzykinz View Post
Oh and....

The ability to have alternate dictionaries would be wonderful! Such as a English to German dictionary.

Thanks for your replies/votes!
A german-english dictionary should work on the Kindle. There are issues with translation dictionaries, though they shouldn't be an issue in this case. Take at look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

I am very pleased with the Kindle. For taking notes, I like the physical keyboard better than on-screen keyboards that I have tried (irex DR1000, ipod touch and a PDA) - better physical feedback so I know I've hit the button.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote