Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #31
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Checking it out I wouldn't mind volunteering!
I've learned a lot volunteering at www.pgdpcanada.net. It's really rewarding and I love seeing the books I helped out on show up in PG Canada.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #32
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I just came back from the Tools of Change in Publishing conference in NYC, where publishers essentially show up hoping to figure out how they're going to save their own butts from The Future. As an author (who got a pass through my connection to Read an E-Book Week), it was interesting to see the extent to which publishers are hoping to combine things like e-books into what they are doing right now. They are not really looking for new business models... they are looking for the easiest way to jump onto the e-bandwagon, baggage and all, and enjoy the ride. "Who's gonna do the blogs and Facebook links for us?"

Only a few of them really seem to get that they need to do some radical thinking to truly embrace an e-book market. Fewer still accept that they will need to make radical changes in their print-based products, or they will strangle themselves. Look to the smaller, newer companies and indies... they seem to be able to overcome the inertia of the old guard, and they will be the true drivers of change in publishing.
Talk about getting to actually be that "fly on the wall". Thanks for relating the info. I do have concerns that the "business as usual" crowd will either make or break the market in the near term. I don't know why, but to me there is more hyperbole in the ereader device market (from the device mfg's themselves) than any other and at the same time the publishers seem stuck in the 50s using punch cards to flip mechanical switches.

When shopping for ebooks these days, I do wonder if the current "only as good as your last quarterly" corporate environment is something keeping book costs up and selection down (though improving a bit more these days). It would seem to me there long term revenue from conversion to electronic format since no book would ever again be out of print.

I also do not get the "company store" nature of content. Increased device/platform independence of content would surely seem to equate to increased revenue?? But then that too would seem tied to that 50s mindset.

Hopefully this will be "the year of the device" and the next domino to fall will indeed be the publishing world. That and a "whiter" eink display background...hehe...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
oh - look - flying pigs ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #34
ke7dbx
ke7dbx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
These arguments just remind me of whats going on in the downloaded music and movies world.
ke7dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke7dbx View Post
These arguments just remind me of whats going on in the downloaded music and movies world.
yep, they all be similar - and please don't start on DRM (that's had plenty of lifetimes here already).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert