Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
That's going against the crowd! Is there something special about the new store? Back in those days Maruzen and Kinokuniya were the two places where I spent a lot of time reading books.
Maruzen closed up its Kyoto's store a couple of years ago. I figured they were gone for good. Kinokuniya has stores all over S.E. Asia (S'pore, Hong Kong, etc.) and I thought they would be good for the long haul. But as I said, the Osaka Kinokuniya is carrying far less books, but Maruzen opened an entire building! Nothing special about this new one other than its gigantic size and huge English Language Section. BTW, both chain have reduced prices on English language books and magazines. We no longer have to pay $25 for a copy of 'Time.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Kinokuniya was always my favorite bookstore.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
yes, more competition is good
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Kinokuniya was always my favorite bookstore.
Apache
Well, riding the elevators in the Shinjuku store was a chore, always overcrowded. I sometimes went down in the basement because that was the only way to catch a ride.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
There is a Kinokuniya in the Isetan Building on Orchard Road in Singapore that was always my favorite bookstore. There was something about the layout that just made me want to spend the afternoon in there wandering through the stacks. The one in Osaka doesn't affect me that way.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Something is amiss... I see bookstores closing all over the world. Japanese book stores are cutting back on stocks. 'Kinokuniya,' Japan's #1 book store chain has reduced stock by 50% and is discounting books left and right. Only one row of English Language books now instead of three! I see Japanese convenience stores devoting 1/4 the space previously used for manga. More and more people are using e-readers, and today two models of Sonys can be found in EVERY electrical department store all over Japan. Amazon.co.jp is coming out with their Kindle.

But... 'Maruzen,' Japan's second largest book seller just opened a brand new seven-floor book store in one of the highest rent areas in Osaka! And one entire floor is devoted to English language books! Huh?

Stitchawl
Anectdotal but I've only ever seen two ebook readers out in the wild in Tokyo and one of them was my private student's whom I recommended to get one in the first place. I have no doubt that books are suffering in Japan but I don't think it's e-readers that's doing it. I suspect that smartphones hi-speed internet is what is really killing books.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
BTW, how do you like guessing what people might be listening to while wearing earphones? JPop? Punk-Rock? Samba? Classical? or perhaps audiobooks?

really, how likely it'd be?...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't remember audio books being popular in Japan, I know they exist but don't think I've ever seen them prominently displayed.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
BTW, how do you like guessing what people might be listening to while wearing earphones? JPop? Punk-Rock? Samba? Classical? or perhaps audiobooks?

really, how likely it'd be?...
For about half of the people on my bus, I don't need to guess.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
First I will say the obvious. I am not an expert on Manga, but it appears on the surface to just be a comic book styled form, very detailed elegant drawings.

I can see that color would be important but now that we have (besides generic tablets) color eReaders, that should be no problem.
I can see how sometimes there would be the need to put a lot of information/picture detail on a single page, but we have more and more pixels to work with and even larger screens, so that should help.

Anyway, my questions are:

Do we sell the American form comics for and on Kindles?
If not do we expect to sell them like we seem to expect to sell Manga which is the thought I see in this discussion.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Actually, manga are in black and white, it is literally pulp fiction. The paper quality is of the lowest quality permitting print. Color is out of the question so an eInk device is fine.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Maruzen closed up its Kyoto's store a couple of years ago. I figured they were gone for good. Kinokuniya has stores all over S.E. Asia (S'pore, Hong Kong, etc.) and I thought they would be good for the long haul. But as I said, the Osaka Kinokuniya is carrying far less books, but Maruzen opened an entire building! Nothing special about this new one other than its gigantic size and huge English Language Section. BTW, both chain have reduced prices on English language books and magazines. We no longer have to pay $25 for a copy of 'Time.'
Stitchawl
I have fond memories of the Kyoto Maruzen store and my student days there. I'm sorry to hear that it has closed.
The Kinokuniya in the Paragon building in central Bangkok is very pleasant and I always spend a few hours there when I am in Bangkok. It is the only place where I can browse English, Japanese and Chinese books in the same place.
There was a big Kinokuniya near Town Hall in Sydney when I was last there a few years ago. I wonder if it is still there. It was the only place in town where you could get cute Japanese stationary.
BookOff, the Japanese used-book chain, has a big store near Opera in the centre of Paris and they opened a French and English department across the street only a year or so ago. Looks like some shops survive the recent downturn in bookshops better than others.

Last edited by Polyglot27; 09-28-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
any news of when the kindle store might open in Japan? or any kindle news (in Japan)?
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote