Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Question Experience with screen protectors on Kindle Paperwhite (2018)?

I'm absolutely, utterly allergic to scratches and prints on the Kindle, can't read if I can see scratches and in fact exchanged my previous one because the matte bezel coating scratched off in a couple places (it's OCD). I'm being extra with my current Kindle Paperwhite I just got a few days ago and not even using it until the cover I got for it arrives. I'm wondering if anyone has used screen protectors on it and if they know if they peel off well from the new bezel-less screen? Which ones are a good quality?
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I keep my Kindles in Amazon Kindle cases and have never had a scratched screen.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I keep my Kindles in Amazon Kindle cases and have never had a scratched screen.
Okay... but that's not what I'm asking.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've never used any type of screen protector on my e-ink Kindles. They have all been in covers, which I close when not reading. None of my Kindles have ever been scratched. I put Decal Girl skins on the bezels.

I'm the only one who uses my stuff, and I take good care of it.

My only device with a screen protector is my iPhone, because my very first one was scratched by keys while in my purse. My tablet devices don't have screen protectors either.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never used a screen protector on any eInk device in the 13 years I've been using them. My concern would be that adding any additional layer on top of the screen must inevitably degrade the image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Thank you for your contributions, but I don't need telling that you haven't used and haven't scratched your screen. I have and I'd like to guard against it if possible because my reading experience is otherwise quite low and I'm anxious using my device in less than perfect conditions. That won't change.

Does anyone have actual experience using screen protectors as per the question in my top post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never used a screen protector on any eInk device in the 13 years I've been using them. My concern would be that adding any additional layer on top of the screen must inevitably degrade the image.
That's a good concern to point out. I found this video that shows a screen protector on a Kindle and it looks fine to me, but I don't have the best video quality. I have screen protectors on all my other devices; what do you foresee being different with e-Ink which might degrade the image significantly? I don't mind it even if it did look less sharp, for example.

Last edited by newkindlefun; 02-15-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I do recall putting a screen protector on my first e-ink Kindle in 2009. I took it off 10 minutes later because it made the screen look fuzzy/cloudy.

In all the years I've been using Kindles, since 2009, and heavy use on the Amazon forums, also since 2009, I don't remember anyone talking about using a screen protector on an e-ink Kindle.

I think you'll be waiting a while for someone to show up who not only uses a screen protector, but was also happy with it.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've used screen protectors on my older Nooks because I used sleeves rather than covers. They work pretty well, but it's almost impossible to eliminate 100% of the bubbles. I do manage to get them off to the side. You get the bubbles when you place the plastic down on your screen and carefully, using a microfiber cloth, coax them out of the center. They do work very well to prevent actual scratches. Removal requires some thought as invariably, you have thrown the package away. I use another piece of the very same plastic in the rare event I have to replace. Since the sleeve was so protective, I've only had to replace a protector once.

All that said, these are not current model kindle screens. I can't see any problem with them peeling off of a bezel screen. It's just a plastic with no glue.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Smt
Smt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage
I put a screen protector on my voyage for no real reason it is a tempered glass one so no issues with bubbles. I now have the Oasis 2 without a screen protector and putting them next to each other I don’t find the voyage is blurred or the text looks flushed out at all. I have never had to peel it off so do not know how easily it can be removed.

Last edited by Smt; 02-16-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Smt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't used screen protector either on my numerous e-ink readers I had since 2007 and I have never seen an e-ink device with a screen protector.

Please note, that for most of that period (2007 - 2019) the vast majority of devices had recessed display and the display was matte plastic. So it would have been impractical to apply a screen protector.

It was only with introduction of Kindle Voyage and a small number of similar models from other manufacturers that we have readers with flush glass front available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
In all the years I've been using Kindles, since 2009, and heavy use on the Amazon forums, also since 2009, I don't remember anyone talking about using a screen protector on an e-ink Kindle.

I think you'll be waiting a while for someone to show up who not only uses a screen protector, but was also happy with it.
I do remember a few threads like this one here on Mobileread in the past and the vast majority of answers were that nobody ever uses a screen protector. Please note that most of those threads were in time when a reader with flush glass front was not available.

I have always used a good cover for my e-ink reader and I always considered that to be adequate protection.

Please notice, I am not telling you about the state of the screen of my e-ink readers. I am also not telling you whether you should use a protection or not.

In my limited experience with modern screen protection [on non-e-ink devices], there is usually no problem to peel them off. Especially if you buy that very thin tempered glass.

When you decide to get a screen protecting foil, lock yourself in a bathroom, run hot shower, wash your hands, wash everything around and then apply the foil. Much smaller probability of having a speck of dust floating in the air during the application process. When you get a grain of dust or a bit of lint trapped under the foil it is much more distracting than a scratch. Do not ask me how I know ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please note, that for most of that period (2007 - 2019) the vast majority of devices had recessed display and the display was matte plastic. So it would have been impractical to apply a screen protector.

It was only with introduction of Kindle Voyage and a small number of similar models from other manufacturers that we have readers with flush glass front available.
The toughened glass screen of the Voyage and Oasis is pretty much immune to scratches (unless you seriously abuse it!). The plastic screen of the PW4 is probably softer, but all the same, I've never personally scratched a device with a plastic screen. I find that a case offers sufficient protection.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #12
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm curious just because whenever I upgrade from my PW2 I'm thinking of NOT getting a case because of the weight and added expense and I rarely hold it like a book (I usually hold it with the cover folded back more like a tablet).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I'm curious just because whenever I upgrade from my PW2 I'm thinking of NOT getting a case because of the weight and added expense and I rarely hold it like a book (I usually hold it with the cover folded back more like a tablet).
Update: Got the screen protector. I rather like it so far! You do have to know how to put it on, but I have a lot of practice since I use them quite extensively. There's no discernible "extra layer," the text looks just the same and very crisp, and the touch screen is equally sensitive, at least as far as I've noticed. I've only used it for a day.

The only possible downside is, since I got the regular screen protector, it's of course shiny like a tablet. Not sure if there are matte screen protectors for the Kindle. But personally I don't mind this.

The way it looks exactly like a tablet but is not equally fast/responsive or in color is a bit of a mindfork.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #14
HAMGGT
HAMGGT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
There are matte screen protectors available as well as those shiny ones.
I have selected the matte since once put on, it looks the same as without them, by not turning it into a mirror.
HAMGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
Update: Got the screen protector. I rather like it so far! You do have to know how to put it on, but I have a lot of practice since I use them quite extensively. There's no discernible "extra layer," the text looks just the same and very crisp, and the touch screen is equally sensitive, at least as far as I've noticed. I've only used it for a day.

The only possible downside is, since I got the regular screen protector, it's of course shiny like a tablet. Not sure if there are matte screen protectors for the Kindle. But personally I don't mind this.

The way it looks exactly like a tablet but is not equally fast/responsive or in color is a bit of a mindfork.
Pleased to hear that it works for you, although I do continue to question the need for a screen protector on an eInk device.