Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
House of the Dead

I'm looking for an ebook version of Dostoevsky's "House of the Dead" and so far have not been at all successful. Anyone know of any?

I'm wanting to get it on my Kindle... so no DRM please.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've had a look, using my favourite book-searching tools, and have been unable to find it.
This is annoying because the Constance Garnett translation should be in the public doman, and she's a good translator.
So, at the moment, it looks as though you are out of luck, Gideon.

In the meantime, here's a link to some other works by Dostoevsky:
http://www.kiosek.com/dostoevsky/library.html

(We also have some of these in our upload section.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks, Patricia! I appreciate the effort... It's really quite strange but all my sites are turning up empty, too.

I take solace that I'm taking a course completely devoted to his works, however... I am so excited!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I've just uploaded The House of the Dead in three different formats: LRF, LIT, and HTM. I spent the evening cleaning up the source; I'm sure there are still some errors and inconsistencies --- anyone is welcome to improve upon what I've started! I must say that I'm amazed that PG did not have this great classic available.

I was able to scrounge the web and come up with the 1888 translation by Edwards, which I'm almost certain is in the public domain, along with some ancient cover art, which I think is safe and legal, as well.

Anyway, I hope this is something you can use. It's all over in the ebooks upload section of the forums.

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Already found it! And just finished converting it into Mobi format, so I'll upload that too! Thanks!
Advert