Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #556
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
Well, I'm as willing as the next person to gripe about things, so it is a nice change now and then to say something positive. I'd basically given up on getting my books (I had 135 books over on Fictionwise). The other day I was on B&N for something and I realized that my Nook shelf had a lot more books on it than I expected. If I'm counting this right, they've managed at least 123 of that 135 - and I know I did not download a few of them, because I had already bought them again and don't want duplicates on my reader. So I'm willing to bet all 135 are there. It took a long time, and there were no further communications from B&N after the initial sign-up. But I have a nice batch of "new" books to load on my reader, some of which I bought and read so long ago they are once again new to me - I have no memory of them at all.

So please excuse me now, while I go find a cuppa tea and sit down with a good book.

Good luck to all of you with this. Maybe, with time, B&N will come through.
Thank for the report. I think I'll only be happy when my books appear, but reports from others are encouraging.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #557
ladyplf
ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyplf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm,pocketpc,nextbook 7
I haven't been keeping up with this thread nor how well the transfers were going but I wanted to report that I got most of my ebooks from fictionwise transfered to B&N. However a good deal of my ereader.com books are MIA. I have figured out that one the ebooks from one publisher, Dorchester, are missing. This is most likely do to the publisher going belly up, but still it would have been nice for Barnes and Noble to mention that to customers. None of the missing books are on the list of books that they couldn't convert so that is deceptive to me.
ladyplf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #558
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyplf View Post
However a good deal of my ereader.com books are MIA. I have figured out that one the ebooks from one publisher, Dorchester, are missing. This is most likely do to the publisher going belly up, but still it would have been nice for Barnes and Noble to mention that to customers.
It's possible that any books no longer offered by the publisher have been removed, and B&N hasn't bothered to figure out what those are or even announce to customers, "ebooks no longer being published will not be transferred."

The Dorchester saga is long and convoluted. They were selling books without paying author royalties for some time, and continuing to sell them long after the authors reclaimed their rights. Booksellers refused to remove the books when informed of claims of copyright infringement--or they removed them, and Dorchester said "we have the rights for that!" and they went back up.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #559
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My one eBook from eReader.com was a free eBook at the time and it did transfer over.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #560
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's possible that any books no longer offered by the publisher have been removed, and B&N hasn't bothered to figure out what those are or even announce to customers, "ebooks no longer being published will not be transferred."
That's not the full answer either, because I got continued access to Sleeping Planet by William Burkett in the transfer. Bought it from Fictionwise in 2008, and the publisher, Rosetta Solutions, went under sometime in 2010. It's not currently being offered as an ebook anywhere, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by curtw; 01-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #561
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We're two weeks into the new year, so I'm having a go at an online chat with the nook UK support.

So far it might as well be a bot responding. I'll post a transcript once I'm done.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #562
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

OK, the suggestion was to ring a support line in the afternoon, and they'll transfer me to Fictionwise Customer Support. But it does appear to be a UK freephone number: 0800 279 6665

Chat transcript edited for privacy (not that my details are hard to find!):
Spoiler:
Bulacan Jonathan: Thank you for joining Nook International Chat Support. My name is Elmo, may I know whom I'm chatting with?

Paul Durrant: Hi, Elmo. I'm Paul Durrant

Bulacan Jonathan: Thank you Paul.

Paul Durrant: I got an email on 21st December saying that my Fictionwise library would be transferred to my nook UK account in the new year. We're two weeks into the new year, and nothing has transferred yet. Is there any further news, or anything else I should be doing?

Bulacan Jonathan: May I ask also the email address that you are using for your Nook Account?

Paul Durrant: <email address>

Bulacan Jonathan: Thank you for the information.

Paul Durrant: That's also the email address at my Fictionwise account, username <username>

Bulacan Jonathan: Where are you located right now?

Paul Durrant: England

Bulacan Jonathan: Regarding on transferring of your Fictionwise books to your account. Please do call our Customer Support, 0-800-279-6665 around late in the afternoon so that we can transfer you to the Fictionwise Customer Support. You may also try this phone number 855-654-9332 and their hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8AM-11PM ET, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM-11PM ET.

Paul Durrant: Thanks. I'll give it a go later today.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #563
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

And the UK people couldn't help, and couldn't transfer me to Fictionwise support.

But I find that I can call the US number via skpe, so I'm on the phone with them now.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #564
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The US support line has taken my details, and they're being passed on to a supervisor.

I really don't understand why B&N are so keen on using voice for this process. Wouldn't it be a lot quicker and easier to have it go through a dedicated email address?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #565
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I really don't understand why B&N are so keen on using voice for this process. Wouldn't it be a lot quicker and easier to have it go through a dedicated email address?
I had the same thought.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #566
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The US support line has taken my details, and they're being passed on to a supervisor.

It probably reduce work since fewer people will contact them if they only allow phone contact.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #567
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It probably reduce work since fewer people will contact them if they only allow phone contact.
It would, of course, result in a lot less work if they'd only get it right, or at least send out emails keeping us informed of what's going on.

I got an email on the 21st promising that things would happen in the new year, and we're two weeks in and nothing's happened. No wonder they're in trouble!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #568
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Which inconveniences some, and ought to be discriminatory.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #569
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:

Maybe to keep supervisors busy?
Seems like most everything customer related requires escalation.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #570
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I just assumed they had a lot more phones than computers.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote