Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I guess the Story is doing well in Russia ...

I just discovered iRiver has released a new firmware update (v. 1.89) for the Story in Russia (it fixes some bugs in FB2 format support), but the website says not to use that firmware on anything but a Russian machine. I'm not sure whether to give it a try on my machine or not. If it only adds FB2 support, and doesn't address any of the other features that never got to a mature level of development, then I'd think there's not much point.

Outside of Russia, it's been a year since anything new for the Story, so ... that's pretty definitive.

(It makes me cross, as if that wasn't obvious, because it means that the device was already EoL before it even hit the market here in Australia. I know there's no guarantees on these things, but considering how friggin' expensive it was, I think that's bloody shonky.)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I just discovered iRiver has released a new firmware update (v. 1.89) for the Story in Russia (it fixes some bugs in FB2 format support), but the website says not to use that firmware on anything but a Russian machine.
The fact that it's just for Russia makes me think it has something to do with the Russian alphabet and presumably its handling of/in the FB2 format. Just a guess.

Which makes me wonder - how would my Iriver handle chinese characters? When I get around to testing the loading of fonts (see another thread not a thousand miles from here) I'll maybe include that in the test.

QUOTE=MacEachaidh;1478243](It makes me cross, as if that wasn't obvious, because it means that the device was already EoL before it even hit the market here in Australia. I know there's no guarantees on these things, but considering how friggin' expensive it was, I think that's bloody shonky.)[/QUOTE]

Same here. It appears to have more or less vanished from the market here in Sweden. But one thing I'm grateful for - it gave you the opportunity to use the word shonky, a new one for me, but very onomatopoeic. I'm going to add that to my list of adopted words. Thanks, Bran!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I'm going to add that to my list of adopted words. Thanks, Bran!
No worries, James, always happy to share! (i.e. divvy up)

Oh, and my Inner Pedant wants me to mention that a shonk is someone who does things by false pretenses, promising something he knows he can never deliver. In other words, his work and ethics are pretty bodgy. ()
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bodgy. Wow, you antipodals have certainly a talent for adding colour to our language. Another one I like is 'tinnies' for cans of beer.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
8andout
8andout doesn't litter8andout doesn't litter

Device: iriver story HD; Boyue T62+
If it's popular in Russia then here's hoping someone in Russia writes a good custom firmware for it.
8andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andout View Post
If it's popular in Russia then here's hoping someone in Russia writes a good custom firmware for it.
My thoughts, exactly!
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Hi folks here!

I have bought my Story (EB02) recently, because it was discounted. (still pretty expensive )
And what to say about this little monster? Well, I'm very impressed with it . It can do epub, pdf with reflow and fb2 as well. I even discovered, how to use my national fonts in epub (Middle Europe - Czech Republic) .
Then bought 2 cases: one original (the white one - ridiculously pricy), and one from Tuff Luv made of black leather (both via ebay).

Last thought: very satisfied with iRiver Story (had previously Jinke Hanlin V3).
I'm running on 1.86 FW (was preloaded in).

Hope, that community of iRiver Story (Cover Story) users will be larger
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru

Welcome to MR and the Iriver forum, Santo. I see you have a Cover Story. BTW, Bran, did you ever try the 1.89 FW upgrade on your original Story? Did it do any good?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Nope, James

I have "classic" iriver Story with no touchscreen and no wifi. So far very satisfied with it. FW: 1.86 (from factory).
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Quote:
I have "classic" iriver Story with no touchscreen and no wifi. So far very satisfied with it. FW: 1.86 (from factory).
Thanks. I did the upgrade from 1.71 to 1.86 my EB02 is now working much faster.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote