Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
fabrice91
fabrice91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Sleep cover and time of book cover viewing delay

Hi,

When I open the Kobo sleep cover, it wakes up and show me the cover of the book but it is very very fast, I can't really see the cover itself. Is there a parameter somewhere to modify in order to say to the Kobo the delay to show the cover before to access the content of the book ? I think that 2 or 3 seconds may be a good choice.

Thanx
fabrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I haven't seen a way to change how long the sleep screen is displayed. Maybe a patch can do it.

Also, I laughed when I saw your request. We get lots of complaints about things being to slow, including this. This might be the first time that someone is complaining the firmware is to fast.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
fabrice91

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, I haven't seen a way to change how long the sleep screen is displayed. Maybe a patch can do it.

Also, I laughed when I saw your request. We get lots of complaints about things being to slow, including this. This might be the first time that someone is complaining the firmware is to fast.
I agree, looks funny ;-)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice91 View Post
Hi,

When I open the Kobo sleep cover, it wakes up and show me the cover of the book but it is very very fast, I can't really see the cover itself. Is there a parameter somewhere to modify in order to say to the Kobo the delay to show the cover before to access the content of the book ? I think that 2 or 3 seconds may be a good choice.

Thanx
You can always call up the cover from the table of contents or by using the slider to go to the beginning of the book, but I agree, with some books, I'd enjoy a few more seconds to view the cover art.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
You can always call up the cover from the table of contents or by using the slider to go to the beginning of the book, but I agree, with some books, I'd enjoy a few more seconds to view the cover art.
If I want to look at the cover, I usually just hit the power button and put the device to sleep. If I need to see the stats that are shown on the screen sleep/power screen, I tap the centre of the screen. Then for kepubs, I bring the in-book stats up. That is a better display with more detail.
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
I suspect that Kobo wouldn't want to incorporate a time delay. They'd probably have folks complaining about not getting into their books quick enough. Which might be me from time to time, say when I'm standing in line at the store! 😁

Truth is, a lot of cover art these days isn't worth a second look. And there are various options to get to the cover for a nice long look as you say for when the art is appealing.

When I *really* want to appreciate cover art, I tend to load the book on a tablet so I can see it full color. I rarely read on the tablet, but it's great for viewing covers!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Truth is, a lot of cover art these days isn't worth a second look.
That's for sure. One of the boons of e-books is they have brought a lot of mid-list and cult-favorite OOP books back in to print. But the cover art tends to be amateurish and lack-luster. There are signs this is improving though. Lately I have seen some self-pubbed books with nicer cover art.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #8
fabrice91

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I want to look at the cover, I usually just hit the power button and put the device to sleep.
I was talking about case with a sleep cover...
You close the sleep cover -> you cant see the book cover anymore (ok thats what I want)
You open the sleep cover -> the book cover appears very briefly, too briefly in my opinion
A good idea may to have a .config file with parameter like cover_delay=3
Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice91 View Post
I was talking about case with a sleep cover...
You close the sleep cover -> you cant see the book cover anymore (ok thats what I want)
You open the sleep cover -> the book cover appears very briefly, too briefly in my opinion
A good idea may to have a .config file with parameter like cover_delay=3
Yes, I know that. But, as the option doesn't exist, that's the way I do it. And I think if the option did exist, I'd set it to the minimum.