Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbum View Post
Hi

- I understand your problem, but it is nothing special.
- The same applies to other manufacturers.
- I have a similar case with Pocketbook Inkpad 3. Same equipment sold in multiple countries :
*This is how with Aibecy that sells BOOX NOTE, it's the same product as ONYX but the dealer is Aibecy.

France
Inkpad 3 - TEA@Firmware - for Shop France Cultura
Oficial
Inkpad 3 - Oficial@Firmware - for Shop Pocketbook
Rusia
Inkpad 740 - etc etc for Shop rusia

etc

-When I contacted TEA, they replied that I could not use someone else's "firmware" because it could damage something. Actually, it's just a guarantee of nothing else, the device is the same.
* This is just about protecting the product sold under a certain brand. Product warranties for the right.

- The main difference was that every Firmware was optimized for a particular country and their store to buy services and books.
* Or the video card for PC. You have a video card GTX 1080 in "MSI" and another "Asus" with a Firmware (VBIOS) diferent, not comatible between them. I admit a little bizarre comparison :-p

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 07-03-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
sunbum
sunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro
I wonder a few things:
- Do those of us who are stuck with the Russian version of the product have any recourse whatsoever? Legal or otherwise?
- Is it plausible that the firmware cannot be switched to the non-Russian version without causing bugs? Or is this merely a concocted excuse?
- What is Onyx or Onyxboox.com getting from preventing those who want the original firmware from having it? The motives seem sketchy here...
- Is it possible something sinister is underneath all this? It all smells very funny...
sunbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 AM   #18
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Another good reason to buy from the German store.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 AM   #19
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I confirm. Some days ago, the same problem with the Polish vendor : firmware and update locked ! Impossible to have all updates, the vendor compiled the official firmware and update his site. What's happen if the site close ?

For the standard version, the supported version by Onyx : https://ereader.store/en/ or directly Onyx International. For the European customers, there is 2*years of guarantee/warranty

Last edited by Randy11; 07-17-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 AM   #20
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
And their web page is?
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post
And their web page is?
In my previous post or this :https://ereader.store/en/e-book-readers-12
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
What about the warranty

Quote:
Warranty for non-EU customers is 1 year? 6 months?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #23
toushi
toushi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Oh great, I knew something was up when I saw a boox and onyxboox website. I ended up getting mine from onyxboox because the website looked better and I thought it was a us offshoot after looking at the nyc address. I guess I don’t really care as long as the hardware is the same (please someone tell me it is). I’m guessing it may be political China doesnt want russian firmware and vice versa. I dont care who steals the data really, all the same to me as long as the same firmware updates come eventually. Would be unhappy if the official Chinese model has a new firmware that never comes to my russian model.
toushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #24
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by toushi View Post
Would be unhappy if the official Chinese model has a new firmware that never comes to my russian model.
How often does a new firmware update provide a significant improvement? I recently updated to the new version of the Russian firmware, and barely noticed the difference.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #25
sunbum
sunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersunbum can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
How often does a new firmware update provide a significant improvement? I recently updated to the new version of the Russian firmware, and barely noticed the difference.
I think the new firmware of the non-russian (default) version of max 2 pro has significant new features. But, those of us with the russian version are stuck...
sunbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
Maybe the plan was for the Russian distributor to add some value (for the international market) over the awful Chinese firmware but in practice they don't have the resources either.

I bought an M96C (a very short lived device that was replaced within weeks by the N96) from the German eReader Store and they had their own line of firmware. The guy from there used to frequent these forums and claimed he was adding new features. I suspect he was just rebuilding the original and making little if no changes - it didn't even come with a release note.

Maybe it would be better if Onyx just open sourced the whole lot and let competent software developers take over. Maybe then something unique and valuable would emerge.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, firmware, onyx