Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Davidsc
Davidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Glo
Page Numbers on Side-loaded books

I just bought a Kobo Glo, in large part as a way for my local bookstore to get a share of my ebook buying dollar.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced an same issue with side-loaded books, both from other vendors and from the library. On the Kobo Glo, I see the page number of such books in two places - at the bottom of the screen, and on the right side of the screen. The problem with the number on the right side of the screen is that it often overlaps with, and makes unreadable, a few letters of text. I do not see the same issue with the same books on either my old Sony Pocket or my nook simple touch.

Has anyone else noted this? If so, is there any way to get rid of or hide the numbers on the right side of the screen so that they do not obliterate a bit of text?
Davidsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
You can remove that in settings/Reading settings/Page numbers in margins (page 2) <- untick
If the box is ticked, it will display the page number of the physical book, if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy your Kobo
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Davidsc
Davidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animalsDavidsc is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thumbs up I should have known

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
You can remove that in settings/Reading settings/Page numbers in margins (page 2) <- untick
If the box is ticked, it will display the page number of the physical book, if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy your Kobo
Wow! I should have known to ask here first rather than to contact Kobo. I was told to call my local library to find out what was wrong with their books.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
So it worked?
Wow, I'm glad it was helpful. I'm new to the Kobo world myself
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Almost. Not necessarily the physical book, but the page numbers for the Adobe standard of number of characters per page. I think it's a new page every 1024 characters or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsc View Post
Wow! I should have known to ask here first rather than to contact Kobo. I was told to call my local library to find out what was wrong with their books.
Lol that is very funny advice! Did Kobo tell you that? Gah.

Quote:
So it worked?
Wow, I'm glad it was helpful. I'm new to the Kobo world myself
...maybe new, but very helpful and kind
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Davidsc

I laughed afterwards, but was irritated during the call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Almost. Not necessarily the physical book, but the page numbers for the Adobe standard of number of characters per page. I think it's a new page every 1024 characters or something.

Lol that is very funny advice! Did Kobo tell you that? Gah.

...maybe new, but very helpful and kind
Yes, Kobo tech did indeed tell me to call the library. There were some other funnies, too.

I really dislike customer service like that.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsc View Post
I really dislike customer service like that.
Me too! They obviously don't own a Kobo themselves. Just ridiculous.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
I had this same problem. I found it was the justification setting I was using. When I turned the justification setting to none it fixed it. On another book with the same problem I found it was just the setting on the far right of the justification setting bar that made the page numbers on the side overlap. Hope that helps!
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
I had this same problem. I found it was the justification setting I was using. When I turned the justification setting to none it fixed it. On another book with the same problem I found it was just the setting on the far right of the justification setting bar that made the page numbers on the side overlap. Hope that helps!
That fix will depend on how long the lines are. If you are using flush left/ragged right justification, a line can be as long as a line with flush left/right justification on depending on total length of the words on the line.

One item that I find rather funny is that Kobo gives you a choice of justification off, left flush/ragged right or flush left/right. I actually generated a short epub with ragged left/right flush justification and either off or left flush looked the same when reading it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote