Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #61
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappa Key View Post
My GL3 updated 2 nights ago. Response and startup is very fast. Seems faster than my Kobo ClaraHD. New set of bookshelves with more ways to search those books. A big improvement. Seems the update can only be done via wifi.
After reading your post I checked my GL3 and it was updated too. Haven't checked the bookshelves but it does seem faster. What's amazing is that I was able to successfully transfer a library book to it without ADE crashing!
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #62
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When was this new software released?

This makes me very curious because my big complaint with the nook was the dog slow software experience.

Are things snappier?

Also does this cover the normal glowlight as well as the glow light plus I assume?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just checked with my Glowlight Plus, no firmware update. What version is this update?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #64
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just checked with my Glowlight Plus, no firmware update. What version is this update?
Mine is the GL3 - Model BNRV520

Current software is:

App Version
50.0.117 / 5.0.5.35

Shop Version
v5.0.271

Readouts Version
v5.0.155

Synced Date
Nov 16, 2019 although I don't know that's when it updated. I do know ADE crashed when I tried to transfer the TOR freebie to it about a week ago. Today, no problems.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Mine is the GL3 - Model BNRV520

Current software is:

App Version
50.0.117 / 5.0.5.35

Shop Version
v5.0.271

Readouts Version
v5.0.155

Synced Date
Nov 16, 2019 although I don't know that's when it updated. I do know ADE crashed when I tried to transfer the TOR freebie to it about a week ago. Today, no problems.
Thanks. My Glowlight Plus is 50.0.133
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #66
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thanks. My Glowlight Plus is 50.0.133
Interesting - so this update is just for the normal 6" Glowlight then?

Can anyone with one of those also corroborate any "snappiness" improvement?

I'd love to throw a GL into my arsenal, particularly at the price they can be had for, but the Nook software on the GLP turned me off *totally*

(the speed/responsiveness of it)
Old 11-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #67
wandalynn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

I'd love to throw a GL into my arsenal, particularly at the price they can be had for, but the Nook software on the GLP turned me off *totally*

(the speed/responsiveness of it)
I compared navigating the same book I transferred to the GL3 with the Kobo Libra. Libra is faster but not significantly. What I remember about the nook was that it was annoyingly slow. Doesn't seem that way now. Of course, once I got the kobo reader I started using it almost exclusively so it's hard to make a fair comparison between the GL3 then and now.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

I don't know if the Glowlight Plus (2015) counts, but there was definitely a change in "snappiness" when the last update came through.

App Version: 50.0.118/5.0.5.35
Shop Version: v5.0.271
Readouts Version: 5.0.1.4
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #69
bookyboy
Addict

Hmm - I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this new snappiness would be something different than the 6" Glowlight demo experience I had at B&N store a few weeks ago..
Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Hmm - I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this new snappiness would be something different than the 6" Glowlight demo experience I had at B&N store a few weeks ago..
I don't know. I would think that the demo unit would be upgraded, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if it wasn't.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #71
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know. I would think that the demo unit would be upgraded, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if it wasn't.
My in store trial was a few weeks ago however.

I'm confused here.

Are some people saying that a new update just recently came out (in last week or so) or are they talking about an older update that they just only recently took notice of?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #72
wandalynn
Addict

The nook crashed ADE when I tried to transfer the TOR freebie to it around Nov. 12 and I ended up using Calibre. I was able to transfer a library book to the nook with ADE a few days ago. I haven't tried any more books so I can't say it wasn't just a fluke. Here's a 30 sec video showing the nook's response times: video
HTH
Old 11-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #73
bookyboy
Addict

@wandalynn

Thanks for posting the video..

It seems "ok" - but definitely still a bit sluggish compared to Kindles/Kobo's I would say.

Hardly a total dealbreaker, but for some reason it bothers me immensely when using the Nooks.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #74
bookyboy
Addict

@wandalynn --- (or anyone)

On the 6" GL - is there anyway to use the buttons where they aren't so loud to depress?

i.e. if you press more towards the top/bottom are they a bit quieter?

I noticed that on the GLP and it was very nice, particularly if you read next to someone who's sleeping.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #75
Tappa Key
Tappa Key began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GL3 - Kobo Clara HD
Nook GL3 Screen savers missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traciinaz View Post
Yes those are the screensavers I have now too. They must have removed the option to choose which screen savers showed.
I talked with a Nook support person today and the option to select
screen savers is no longer available with the new firmware.

I am enjoying the increased speed. The Nook now seems equal to my ClaraHD, if not a tad faster.
Tappa Key is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook