Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #16
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ahhh... a believer in kind words.
It probably isn't wise to state on here what I think of that POS that tries to call itself an interface...

er... did I just say that out loud?

Oops
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #17
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I have Glyphs and this modifications (adding weight, stripping hinting...) are actually easier to do the with FontForge, I keep it around just for that reason.

Last edited by GERGE; 09-30-2015 at 08:11 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 AM   #18
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to admit, once you get used to it, the interface is far from unusable really. I certainly wouldn't call it pretty, but it is usable, once you know the basics of how to do things.

I think many troubles I've had with it in the past have been stability and bugginess related. The current builds have certainly improved on the reliability front for sure.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Anyone else posting a download link to Google's "Literata" font will be banned from MobileRead without further warning. This is a copyrighted font and we take copyright infringement very seriously.

Take note of this warning.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #20
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Anyone else posting a download link to Google's "Literata" font will be banned from MobileRead without further warning. This is a copyrighted font and we take copyright infringement very seriously.

Take note of this warning.
Oups! It's Google of course ...
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's not just Google; it's links to ANY copyrighted material.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's not just Google; it's links to ANY copyrighted material.
Thanks for the remark Peter but you know, I was joking ...
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #23
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Hmm, for whatever reason the converted Literata Bold doesn't work. Bold text is rendered with the Regular font. Has anyone else noticed such an effect? The original OTF renders correctly.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #24
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Hmm, for whatever reason the converted Literata Bold doesn't work. Bold text is rendered with the Regular font. Has anyone else noticed such an effect? The original OTF renders correctly.
Literata requires the namehack option to work properly. It's the font that caused me to add that option in the first place.

Without that hack, the font does not get renamed properly, and will not display correctly on the Kobo.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #25
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Literata requires the namehack option to work properly. It's the font that caused me to add that option in the first place.

Without that hack, the font does not get renamed properly, and will not display correctly on the Kobo.

I hope this helps.
The last time I ran the script I'm pretty sure I picked the name hack option. How can I check that the font is indeed named properly?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Is there a way to strip PANOSE data using the GUI version for either Mac or Windows? I'd rather not muck about with trying to install the CLI version for either OS if I can avoid it, and I don't mind doing the grunt work within fontforge. I can find it easy enough, but aside from changing the information there, which doesn't seem to be stripping it, I can't see a way to remove it.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference for Literata since that font appears fine on my H2O.

eta- I've installed Fontforge on my Windows 10 box, not a CLI version but the readme did not specify that it needed to be CLI for Windows. Tried running the batch file, and I keep getting the same error

c:\Program Files (x86)\fontforgebuilds\bin\ffpython.exe: can't open file 'c:\users\mercury': [error 2] No such file or directory

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-12-2015 at 01:33 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #27
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Is there a way to strip PANOSE data using the GUI version for either Mac or Windows? I'd rather not muck about with trying to install the CLI version for either OS if I can avoid it, and I don't mind doing the grunt work within fontforge. I can find it easy enough, but aside from changing the information there, which doesn't seem to be stripping it, I can't see a way to remove it.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference for Literata since that font appears fine on my H2O.

eta- I've installed Fontforge on my Windows 10 box, not a CLI version but the readme did not specify that it needed to be CLI for Windows. Tried running the batch file, and I keep getting the same error

c:\Program Files (x86)\fontforgebuilds\bin\ffpython.exe: can't open file 'c:\users\mercury': [error 2] No such file or directory
Yeah, for windows and linux at least, the standard fontforge install is fine. As far as stripping PANOSE info in the ff gui, it's a matter of setting the values to 0 (or any) and generate a new font from it.

Are you dragging font files onto the batch file? I must admit the file has not had extensive testing.

To be honest, I'm just about ready to finish retiring this version of the script. I've written a simple wxPython GUI wrapper, and a slightly modified script that I plan on releasing soon under a more generic name.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #28
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
The last time I ran the script I'm pretty sure I picked the name hack option. How can I check that the font is indeed named properly?
Open it with the windows font viewer (if on windows), the internal font name should match the font name you entered in the script.

Also, make sure you strip the PANOSE information (option '-p'). This is very important for fonts to work properly on Kobo devices.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah I'm just using the drag/drop bash file. Look forward to your next release. Guess I'll just strip the PANOSE info the 'hard' way for now.

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-12-2015 at 02:54 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #30
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
is that the entire output of the script? If not can you output the complete contents of the command window?

At what stage does it fail?

I want to try and figure out where things went wrong, to see if I can improve the script and/or batch file.

Tags
font