Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Open Source Ebook Solutions

If someone wants to have the most control over their ebooks, software, and hardware, what are some of the best open source solutions? What options give you the most freedom to manage your ebooks?
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Colerson
Nameless Being

Calibre is the best management software you'll find: it allows conversion between all sorts of formats, supports plugins for stripping odious restrictions, can transfer to hardware devices, and, while the UI is rather clunky, it does just about all you'd need for ebooks.

I'm not sure from a reader perspective: you'd want one that can be jailbroken, and that's just not something I've looked into. I live with the Kindle's firmware.
Advert
Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
+1 to calibre for managing your books. And https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com for DeDRMing them. (That isn't so much open-source as it is broken open with a crowbar. )

As for hardware, there are no E-Ink ereaders which are truly open-source, though some are more open than others. You probably want one that can be jailbroken, though -- at the least.
Maybe one of the more open Android phones. There are some open-source ereader apps out there.

If you want usability over ideology, ask yourself which features you need, and look for a device that has those features.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
If someone wants to have the most control over their ebooks, software, and hardware, what are some of the best open source solutions? What options give you the most freedom to manage your ebooks?
You can get an android-based reader and use an open source reader like FBreader or Coolreader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about the software for reading ebooks?
Good suggestion about Calibre, great software.
I like Android tablets and they seem to me coming closest to freedom as you can use various ereader apps on them.
I like Epub, but it seems Mobi/Kindle at the top of the heap for actual ebook formats.
Advert
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
You can get an android-based reader and use an open source reader like FBreader or Coolreader.
Thanks. I've heard of Fbreader, but didn't know it was open source. Will check out Coolreader
Old 07-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Thanks. I've heard of Fbreader, but didn't know it was open source. Will check out Coolreader
Both are very good reading apps.

You could also look into this reader:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...ource-ereader/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Kobo is the most open mainstream e-reader. You can install Koreader and Coolreader on it and they will read nearly any format.

Kindle is the least open. If you have an old Kindle, you might be able to jailbreak. If you don't know, keep your Kindle wifi off. It updates automatically and shuts down jailbreaking.

Alternatively get an Android e-reader like a Boyue or an Onyx, or a Nook ST (the old ones) and root it. You can "root" a Kobo with Android, but only the older readers, not the current generation, and the Android might be a bit flaky (at least on the Aura HD, less so the Glo).

FWIW my favorite Android reading app is AIreader.

Last edited by Rizla; 07-12-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
conan50
Fanatic

I've got a Paperwhite, nook ST, but will probably stick with Android tablets for ebooks in the future. I don't trust hardware makers, especially as nook hid away my ebooks, even public domain ebooks--unforgivable. I would not be surprised if Kindle does the same at some point.
In the future I'm only buying drm-free ebooks, somewhat easy as I mostly like SciFi and Fantasy genres, with Baen & Tor.
I just bought the new Premium Fbreader app in Google Play, looks nice so far. I like what they are doing with Google Books, might be the best solution at this point for syncing books, but wish I could link the books I already have at Google Books.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hiding your books in a partitioned userstore is exactly what a really stupid ebookstore would do, and whatever else Amazon may be, they aren't stupid.
Which is to say, I feel no need to worry. Your feelings may differ.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
If you're going to be using a tablet rather than an e-ink reader, you could get a Windows tablet and run Calibre on it. Aside from managing books, Calibre can also be a reader. I've never tried it on a tablet though.

Last night I was watching a couple of YouTube videos that showcased a $200 Chinese tablet that dual boots Windows 8 and Android and has a retina display screen. Best of both worlds?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-12-2015 at 08:52 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #12
conan50
Fanatic

Thanks again for the ideas!
Essentially what I'm thinking is going all epub. I'm tired of converting mobi files and having multiple file formats and a sort of digital sprawl.
I have a netbook with Linux and Calibre on it that I can manage my current library, and have nook HD tablet with the nice screen and sd card slot, and a DragonTouch 8" tablet with an IPS screen and sd card slot, I will mostly use these Android tabs for ebooks.
I'm wondering where there is a good place to get clean epubs. I'm aware of Baen, but are there any other publisher sites worth considering, especially for SciFi/Fantasy genre ebooks free of DRM?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You are at a very good place to find DRM free epubs that are clean of problems. Many of us find them over at Project Gutenberg and then clean then up before posting them here (as well as conversions for those of us who use Kindle. Of course these are all PD books not current, new titles. Feedbooks sells some epubs though I have no idea what the quality of the books are as i just look around the PD stuff there.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Just Baen and Tor, I think.

And as crich says, PD stuff -- but I suspect you want newer works.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Tor (US) and Tor (UK) are both DRM-free but they have different catalogues, so you can get more DRM-free books if you buy from both.

E.g. Peter F. Hamilton's UK editions are DRM-free (Tor UK) but his US editions have DRM (Random House). Gene Wolfe's US editions are DRM-free (Tor US) but the UK editions have DRM (Hachette).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote