Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just found out: When you send a book from Pottermore to your Amazon account, it automatically queues it up for download to all your registered Kindles!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Almost no one could build a site that could flawlessly handle the volume of traffic they're currently experiencing.
Do you think they are selling more total items today than Amazon will?
And it isn't as if they have taken years to get it right... oh, wait
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
You do know they subcontracted the site to Sony, right?
(That's why the T1 is plastered all over.)
And we all know how great Sony is at software development; always robust and on-time.

As is, it's lasted longer than I expected.

The books will still be there tomorrow. And next month.
Sooner or later we'll get through.
I have no idea, I cannot get onto the site to see that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #64
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I can get the site to load fine, but it's not accepting my payment method. Some damn Master Card secure code that I keep changing but never is working to what I am changing it to.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems I'm the only one who feels the price is a little high, and even I paid it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
My reaction to the price was "not completely unreasonable, although on the high side for something first released years ago" - but it could have been a lot worse.

I noticed that the books go to the Books part under Manage My Kindle on Amazon, not Personal Documents (when sent there directly from Pottermore), so that's nice.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #67
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The prices are fine. They are lower then what I thought they would be.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I bought the first one. The download screen looks like (attached) and gives you the option to "link" to a store account. For the moment, I declined to link to B&N since I don't know what that means -- I opted for direct download, which gives you an epub.

It's running via epub preview in Calibre; I searched for my name and found nothing. (Yay.)

Booting it up in Sigil, no mention of my name there either. Nor the last four digits of my credit card.

Dare I hope they gave up on the watermarking entirely?

Very exciting. I'm off to buy the rest!

ETA: Not sure how I feel about that Remaining Personal Downloads: 7 thing at the top, though.
Does it have embedded fonts? If not, I'll have to add them in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems I'm the only one who feels the price is a little high, and even I paid it.
£7 for a large book like the last few HP books? It's a little on the high side, but not outrageous. £5 would have been better, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #70
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does it have embedded fonts? If not, I'll have to add them in.
It looks to me like it does not. But I'm just looking in Sigil at the empty Fonts folder. When I changed the ".epub" to ".zip", I couldn't even find a Fonts folder in it.

If there's no special fonts, I'm happy. I font-strip anyway.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #71
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I thought it was a bit high, but I've never read the books before (except the first one), so it's a "new" book for me.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #72
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Success! Bank called and cleared my card and they are now all downloaded to my iPad 3 .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
The CSS calls out "Times New Roman" in several places. The "Fonts" folder (as viewed in Sigil) appears to be empty.
Looks like I'll have to put in the fonts. Oh well. Shouldn't been too hard to do.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And for those dreaming that Rowling would marginalize Kindle users (yeah, riiiight!):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...harry%20potter

Oh, and... erhm...
(Don't take it out on me...)

They are cheaper if you buy from Amazon.

(For a Change, Amazon is the Affiliate to their partner.)

Sorceror's Stone: $6.39
Chamber of Secrets: $5.99
Prisoner of Azkhaban: $5.79
Goblet of Fire: $6.98
Order of the Phoenix: $7.11
Half-blood Prince: $7.01
Deathly Hallows: $7.99

Total: $47.26

Your prices will likely vary.

Edit: And the prices *have* varied. Up to full list price, now.
Somebody must've whined.
You try to buy from Amazon and you are directed to Pottermore. And the prices are all the same. There is no discount from Amazon. It's not true that you get a discount at Amazon.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
They are also now available on Amazon
Amazon directs you to Pottermore to buy them.