Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
6th time out. Based on PM's, I am not the only one. grrrrrr
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A very quick comparison of the text with a hardback and the aformentioned (cough) unauthorised ebook shows that the text is extremely clean, although I haven't gone to far as to check the site that lists the various corrections that have been made over the years.

The 'watermark' appears in the ePub on the copyright page, and is incorrectly tagged (someone didn't check what was already there, I think!) and looks like this:

<p><p>This book is watermarked and was acquired by user [32 hex digits] on 27 March 2012</p></p>
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The watermark also appears in the KF8 and mobi files as well, without the messed up tags, but with a different user id.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #49
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And for those dreaming that Rowling would marginalize Kindle users (yeah, riiiight!):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...harry%20potter

Oh, and... erhm...
(Don't take it out on me...)

They are cheaper if you buy from Amazon.

(For a Change, Amazon is the Affiliate to their partner.)

Sorceror's Stone: $6.39
Chamber of Secrets: $5.99
Prisoner of Azkhaban: $5.79
Goblet of Fire: $6.98
Order of the Phoenix: $7.11
Half-blood Prince: $7.01
Deathly Hallows: $7.99

Total: $47.26

Your prices will likely vary.
How are you seeing these prices?
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #50
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did not see those prices at Amazon and was directed to the Pottermore site, which is on its 10th attempt at loading and will problavly fail miserably.
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #51
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Presumably everyone has now found out about them, so there's a LOT of traffic.
News of it is exploding all over twitter, or perhaps I just follow to many book sites because every other tweet seems to mention it.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #52
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I just got mine from the Amazon link. I didn't have an problems with Pottermore loading. I'm in the US.

I got the bundle, $57.54 for the set.

They're now listed on Pottermore under "My Books" as separate books. Sent them one by one to Amazon, where they show up as individual books in with my other ebooks under "Manage Your Kindle". They all pulled up in Kindle4PC just fine, and work in Calibre just like my other Kindle books. Metadata downloaded fine. Conversion went fine.

Mine includes the illustrations on the first page of the first one. Haven't checked all the way through yet.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #53
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I did not see those prices at Amazon and was directed to the Pottermore site, which is on its 10th attempt at loading and will problavly fail miserably.
The site is almost certainly getting hammered, since this is the first day of availability.

Traffic will eventually fall within their capacity. I.e. just be patient.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
How are you seeing these prices?
They were accurate as of 9AM.
They have changed since.

(shrug)
Somebody may have griped.

Sorry!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #55
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Or build the site to handle getting hammered. It is frustrating when you try to get in through Amazon, Pottermore, and a direct link and still cannot.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #56
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Or build the site to handle getting hammered. It is frustrating when you try to get in through Amazon, Pottermore, and a direct link and still cannot.
Almost no one could build a site that could flawlessly handle the volume of traffic they're currently experiencing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #57
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Or build the site to handle getting hammered.
It is. It would look a lot worse if it wasn't.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #58
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
The sync to device feature is fantastic! Not that I wasn't perfectly willing to side-load them, but syncing them is even better. Does that mean that the files will sync between devices, since they're in our device libraries? *crosses fingers*
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Or build the site to handle getting hammered.
You do know they subcontracted the site to Sony, right?
(That's why the T1 is plastered all over.)
And we all know how great Sony is at software development; always robust and on-time.

As is, it's lasted longer than I expected.

The books will still be there tomorrow. And next month.
Sooner or later we'll get through.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #60
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Sure she could, sell them through the regular bookstores as well as Pottermore.

I am thrilled that the books are available. I know that I will survive the fact that it is taking longer then it should to buy them. All this does, for me, is reaffirm that this decision was silly, unnecessary, and annoying. If I could buy these through Amazon, I would have them now and I could use a gift certificate. Instead I, and others, are stuck trying to deal with a site that is not equipped to handle the traffic because she is a control freak.

That is what is frustrating.

And yes, I know I can wait a few more hours but there is the fear that if you do that she is going to pull the site again because it cannot handle the traffic and you cannot get access to the books, again.