Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, eReaders have become a mature technology. Until there is a change such as a Gallery 3/ACEP screen with speed and price close to that of a Carta screen (I do like dreaming wildly), most changes will be relatively minor.
Some of us have been dreaming of that since 1986. Mirasol seemed plausible at the time. I agree it needs C Y M system (like ACEP but 20x faster) rather than a filter on a mono eink panel which is never going to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I agree with the others. There's really not much the PW5 can improve on.
Maybe give it a pen (Galaxy Note-style where you can insert it in the body) for some really basic note-taking features.
Most people getting eink get it to read novels and are uninterested in notes. Also unless eink gets a lot faster it's poor. I've tried reMarkable, Elipsa and Sage. The Sage was best. None of the other 5 people I know with note taking on eink use it now that novelty wore off. I've abandoned it on the Sage for the TCL Nxtpaper 11, which works far better for notes with touch keyboard, KT keys, USB keys, finger with Gboard and TCL T-Pen in regular text apps or browser or Nebo or OneNote. You can actually use a Kobo/MS pen on the Libra 2 and save sketch/notes, but not edit them. They are saved as SVG and can be viewed via MyBooks or exported to PC.

So I agree, there is little to improve on and most people would be happy with either a Paperwhite 3 level device (Kindle gen 7) (or similar Nook or Kobo) but choice of 5, 6, 7 or 8 inch screen, with also models with page turn buttons.

The changes since 2013 have been minor increments. Newer models will have USB-C and 32G Flash (minimum).

Last edited by Quoth; 03-29-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:31 PM   #17
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
For the most part, eReaders have become a mature technology. Until there is a change such as a Gallery 3/ACEP screen with speed and price close to that of a Carta screen (I do like dreaming wildly), most changes will be relatively minor.
I’m still hoping for a new eReader with a screen as good (or better, one can dream) as the one on the Voyage.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 02:55 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I agree with the others. There's really not much the PW5 can improve on.
Maybe give it a pen (Galaxy Note-style where you can insert it in the body) for some really basic note-taking features.
An 8" PW6 would be good. No buttons and in the same form factor as the PW5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:46 PM   #19
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
An 8" PW6 would be good. No buttons and in the same form factor as the PW5.
I'd personally rather have bezel buttons similar to those on the Kindle 3 (keyboard) -- too narrow of bezels are uncomfortable to hold, they're already getting quite narrow on the button-free models.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:37 PM   #20
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'd personally rather have bezel buttons similar to those on the Kindle 3 (keyboard) -- too narrow of bezels are uncomfortable to hold, they're already getting quite narrow on the button-free models.
Great idea!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 09:11 AM   #21
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I don’t know what they’d improve upon either at this point. With that said I’d like to see Amazon come out with a Bluetooth page turner. They could have Anker make it like they had them make the SE’s wireless charging dock.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:32 PM   #22
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I don’t know what they’d improve upon either at this point. With that said I’d like to see Amazon come out with a Bluetooth page turner. They could have Anker make it like they had them make the SE’s wireless charging dock.
Another great idea!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:58 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A Bluetooth page turner? Talk about a niche device for a niche market.

Unless you have a disability that makes holding an ereader in your hands impossible, normal reading distance (~35cm for young adults and dropping as presbyopia sets in) limits the need for any page turning device.

I will mention that I have three acquaintances who are unable to hold an ereader with their hands but for them, holding a Bluetooth clicker is not possible. Two of them are using a mouth switch to trigger a device that taps the screen to turn a page, the other one is using a device cobbled together by a techie group to achieve similar results by using a pneumatic switch where they blow to page forward or tap and hold and suck to achieve a page back.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:54 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've often wanted a foot operated page turner for use while washing the dishes -- I can then prop my reader up on the window sill and read while doing the dishes! haha
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:01 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've often wanted a foot operated page turner for use while washing the dishes -- I can then prop my reader up on the window sill and read while doing the dishes! haha
One friend of mine has one of those he uses when using his tablet to display music scores. I rather vaguely remember it uses Bluetooth and the name has Firefly in it which may help if anyone wants to look it up.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:09 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Unless you have a disability that makes holding an ereader in your hands impossible, normal reading distance (~35cm for young adults and dropping as presbyopia sets in) limits the need for any page turning device.
Quote:
How about that, washing dishes is a disability.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:16 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about that, washing dishes is a disability.
Reading while washing dishes might qualify a niche use but I somehow doubt that it is a disability. Though I will admit to not having washed any dishes other than my knives by hand in several decades. The dishwasher takes care of the rest while using less water than handwashing/rinsing.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:44 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
One friend of mine has one of those he uses when using his tablet to display music scores. I rather vaguely remember it uses Bluetooth and the name has Firefly in it which may help if anyone wants to look it up.
I have one of these specifically for turning pages of digital sheet music.

Of course it is another matter to develop the coordination to operate it while also playing some instrument.

There are some less costly alternatives, e.g.:

https://www.soundbrenner.com/blog/to...for-musicians/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:17 AM   #29
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Capability to connect page turning bluetooth devices is something I keep wondering how come they haven't done this already. I would also love to have option for two columns when in horizontal orientation. I know the text would be small but this would be for those who have good vision.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:15 AM   #30
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Another great idea!

Thank you! We could also get a back button if they made their on turner. People are always complaining about not being able to page back.

Quote:
A Bluetooth page turner? Talk about a niche device for a niche market.

I will mention that I have three acquaintances who are unable to hold an ereader with their hands but for them, holding a Bluetooth clicker is not possible. Two of them are using a mouth switch to trigger a device that taps the screen to turn a page, the other one is using a device cobbled together by a techie group to achieve similar results by using a pneumatic switch where they blow to page forward or tap and hold and suck to achieve a page back.
I find that non-disabled people almost always say this about something new that they deem unnecessary until they try it, like it, and then it’s ok for everyone to want it. You don’t have to be disabled to want this. It’s doesn’t have to be a matter of laziness. It’s perfectly fine to just want the convenience of something.

I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but page turners are popular in this niche community. Go on any book community social media and you’ll find it in nearly every ereader must have video. These are regular people not nerds like us here. I’m willing to bet good money the majority of these people using page turners aren’t disabled.

I am disabled. I don’t hold my Kindle often. When I do hold it it’s because I’m outside and tilted back in my wheelchair. I use gravity to help me hold it. My pager turners are assistive technology (AT) for me just like my Kindle. When I’m reading in bed my Kindle sits on my overbed table on a tablet stand. I can read while upright or reclined in my hospital bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have one of these specifically for turning pages of digital sheet music.

Of course it is another matter to develop the coordination to operate it while also playing some instrument.

There are some less costly alternatives, e.g.:

https://www.soundbrenner.com/blog/to...for-musicians/

This would’ve been so useful back when I still playing violin. Someone always had to turn the page for me.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote