Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
tozzi
tozzi began at the beginning.

Device: marvin
Add fields like Author to the mask?

Hi!

I'm organizing my sheet music with calibre. It works fine and supports my dataformats from notatioprograms...

I'd like to add fields in the main area from author on the main metadatafield.
For Composer I use the authorfield. Now I need a second field for Arrangement or Transcription. This is important, when I have a Title, original, but arranged or transcribet by several musicians. So I can identify the Title, without loosing the original composer. I work with several userdefined columns, but I would like to have the basic data in the main metadata field!

Probably there is a soltution?!?

ThankYou in advance...

Tozz
tozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tozzi - Long shot: try "Peter (Composer) & Paul (Lyricist) & Mary (Arranger)"

I have a vague memory you can put MARC relator codes in parentheses.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozzi View Post
Hi!

I'm organizing my sheet music with calibre. It works fine and supports my dataformats from notatioprograms...

I'd like to add fields in the main area from author on the main metadatafield.
For Composer I use the authorfield. Now I need a second field for Arrangement or Transcription. This is important, when I have a Title, original, but arranged or transcribet by several musicians. So I can identify the Title, without loosing the original composer. I work with several userdefined columns, but I would like to have the basic data in the main metadata field!
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. If you use BR's suggestion, it means editing the author field to add the other information to it. Personally, I don't like it. I think that the separate columns for each type of person is more flexible.

What I would consider is a custom column made up of others. You could use a template to build a column to display what you want. The quick and dirty template to produce something like what BR suggested would be:

Code:
{author} (Composer) {#arrangement :| & | (Arrangement)} {#transcription:| & | (Transcription)}
That would list each of the values one after the other and handle not having and arrangement or transcription. It doesn't handle multiple values in each, but, that shouldn't be to hard to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use BR's method
(trans), (Illus), (creator), and the most used...(ed) for collections
BTW that does not mess with the sort

In that case I store the containing authors in an author-like column, which was originally used for the real name of the Author when a books cover had a Pen name. Plans evolve with usage
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
tozzi

ThankYou very much! I'll try this!

I use calibre for epook since many years. Half a year ago, I got the idea to organize my sheetmusic, partitures and files from notationsoftware with calibre. So far it works very well.
Writing arrangements from Standards (Jazz, classic...) needs something like a second important entry in the metadatas, e.g. you have a Jazzstandard and many different interpretations or variations. So I need the "author"->"composer" AND who arranged it for ensemble, or bigband or trio... So this arranger-entry is very important. You see many titles with the same name and composer, but there should be close to it an entry of arrangement!
It would be nice to have a separate entry for that in the author or title area.

Next whish would be to rearrange or change the fields and name of the fields by changing the calibre-library.
By the way, is it possible to change the calibre config together with canging the library??? So for books, the entry is "author" and after change to the partiture-library the entry would change to "composer"...

It would be like a separate module you change, and if you would like to sort something else, you coul'd change with a different library to the e.g. stamp-collection.

ThankYou,

Tozz
Old 07-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps you would be better of putting the roles (composer, lyricist, arranger etc) in separate columns, and have a composite column that combines the names with the relator codes, you could then use the View Manager plugin to show different Virtual libraries based on the role columns -- so you'd have a Composer VL, a Lyricist VL, an Arranger VL etc. And you could do searches like #arranger:"=Patrice Durand"

BR
Old 07-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
tozzi

Hi BetterRed,

I tried the "View Manager"-Plugin. For the first it works for me fine. Thank you!
My next lesson will be the "virtual libraries"! I have to read a tutorial/wiki/forum to understand how it works, and the addition to the ViewManager.

As long as I can't change "Author" to "Composer", I'm fine with "author", it's almost the same .

Probably you have a link to the virtual library tutorials, where it will be clear understandable to me...

For sure I made columns, but virtual libraries based on the role column I have to understand first... Since I have all the sheets in a different library, ViewManager works fine!

THANK YOU!!!

Tozz
Old 07-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
You can also use View Manager to have certain views switch to a corresponding virtual library. It's a very handy feature.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozzi View Post
Hi BetterRed,

I tried the "View Manager"-Plugin. For the first it works for me fine. Thank you!
My next lesson will be the "virtual libraries"! I have to read a tutorial/wiki/forum to understand how it works, and the addition to the ViewManager.

As long as I can't change "Author" to "Composer", I'm fine with "author", it's almost the same .

Probably you have a link to the virtual library tutorials, where it will be clear understandable to me...

For sure I made columns, but virtual libraries based on the role column I have to understand first... Since I have all the sheets in a different library, ViewManager works fine!

THANK YOU!!!

Tozz
Here you go ==>> Virtual libraries

So, for an Arranger VL you would have a search term of #arranger:true - i.e. sheets that have something in the #arranger column.

And as ownedby posted, you could have an Arranger View that hooked into the Arranger VL and had the #arranger column as the primary sort field.

You might want to make use of the feature at Preferences->Searching->Group search (tab-panel) to combine the roles (Composer, Lyricist, Arranger etc) into a Contributors group. This would create an Contributors entry in the Tag Browser, and allow search terms such as @Contributors:("=Paul Desmond") to show sheets that has Paul Desmond in one of the role columns. The '@' signifies the search term is referencing a Grouped Search or User Category column - I would guess that under the covers the Grouped search feature sets up a User Category.

Aside: yes, I would also quite like a feature that allowed us to change the Header name of standard columns, probably at the physical library level. But for me at least, it doesn't take long to 'know' that the Title column in my Journals library equates to the Edition (name/number/date whatever).

BR
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #10
tozzi

THANK YOU BetterRed!!!!!!!

I'll read it later that evening!

Tozz

Tags
database, fields, metadata, new field