Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2021, 02:15 AM   #1
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Issue with Wake up - Kobo Glo HD

Hi everyone, I have a issue with my Kobo Glo HD. After the device going to sleep mode, I cannot wake it up by pressing the power button. It have no problem with the battery since I can use reset pin to reset it or wake up by attach to sleepcover.
Does anyone have any idea to fix it?
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra_w View Post
Hi everyone, I have a issue with my Kobo Glo HD. After the device going to sleep mode, I cannot wake it up by pressing the power button. It have no problem with the battery since I can use reset pin to reset it or wake up by attach to sleepcover.
You could get a sleep cover and use that. All it takes to wake is to open the cover. This is just an example of one such cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Clara-Ratesel.../dp/B07FDZVT35
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Does the power switch work otherwise? Will it put the device to sleep, or turn it on or off? If you hold it down for 20 seconds, does the device turn off? For this, the screen will not change, but, the front light will turn off. Then pressing the button should turn it on. If it doesn't work at all, it suggests the switch is broken. Or somehow the button is not aligned properly. You would need to open the device and look.

If it is just for waking and sleeping, have you enabled the screenshot mode? This is done by adding "Screenshots=true" to the config file. And there is a way to do this using patches or NickelMenu. If so, the power button will be used to take a screen shot rather than wake/sleep/power off. Removing that line, or changing it to "Screenshots=false" or one of the other methods, will fix this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does the power switch work otherwise? Will it put the device to sleep, or turn it on or off? If you hold it down for 20 seconds, does the device turn off? For this, the screen will not change, but, the front light will turn off. Then pressing the button should turn it on. If it doesn't work at all, it suggests the switch is broken. Or somehow the button is not aligned properly. You would need to open the device and look.

If it is just for waking and sleeping, have you enabled the screenshot mode? This is done by adding "Screenshots=true" to the config file. And there is a way to do this using patches or NickelMenu. If so, the power button will be used to take a screen shot rather than wake/sleep/power off. Removing that line, or changing it to "Screenshots=false" or one of the other methods, will fix this.
Yes, the power switch is fine, if the device is active, press the switch can put it to sleep mode, press again 3-5s later also can wake it up, but if leaving it longer in sleep mode, the switch is useless
Anyway, I check the config file, the screenshots option is not there, so I think the file is ok.
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, the power switch is fine, if the device is active, press the switch can put it to sleep mode, press again 3-5s later also can wake it up, but if leaving it longer in sleep mode, the switch is useless
I have a distinct memory of someone reporting a problem like that some time ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the solution was. But, I would start with reinstalling the firmware. That is just to make sure the install is clean.

After that, I would probably try resetting the config file. Rename the "Kobo eReader.conf" file and and restart the device. That will create a default config file. If there is an unusual setting in there, it should be cleared. And you can put it back if it doesn't help.

After that, you could try signing out of the Kobo account and back in. Again this clears a lot of settings and data which includes the database. When I do this, I take a full copy of the books partition so I can restore it if it doesn't help.

The final way would be a full factory reset. Do this from either the Developers option menu or manually using the last method on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Reset:_Glo_HD. These methods wipe the root partition and restore the factory firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:16 AM   #6
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Is it possible your device is turning full off after some time of no usage?

If you can wake with the button after you put it to sleep, that should be it.

How do you have the settings for the auto turn off?
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozkas View Post
Is it possible your device is turning full off after some time of no usage?

If you can wake with the button after you put it to sleep, that should be it.

How do you have the settings for the auto turn off?
That is a very good idea to check for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote