Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I believe reading ability like Catsknit described is probably a genetic gift, as is being able to be an Olympic sprinter. Most of us would never be able to do either no matter how much we practiced.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #47
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Reading speed is valid in such cases when you want to join a book club or want to discuss some book with your friend or s/o if you both read the same book at the same time.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #48
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
When I amassed over a million miles of air travel, I would read 60 pages per hour. It was a way of finishing all the novels of John MacDonald, Ross MacDonald, Elmore Leonard, etc. This was more a matter of time management than reading for enjoyment. As a reader ages, you have to monitor the health of your eyes. Just as there is the phenomenon known as the fog of war, there is the fog of reading. Put the book down when your eyes can't focus properly, or you see colors blur (on non eink readers).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #49
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekxp View Post
I have never read many books in my life until I got an eReader. Slowly I am getting faster and wonder how fast do people read on average? Seems like I am consuming 250-350 page novels in about two weeks. Is this a good pace?
it takes time. At first it took me 3 months to read 1 book ( in 2010 when I got my first ereader) now I average 2 or 3 a month 40-50 novels a year. I count books over 600 pages as 2 books since it takes so long to finish. i f a book is too slow I sometimes skip paragraphs or chapters.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm probably a slow reader. Novels with lots of dialog are like eating cotton candy. Non-fiction with sentences that you have to chew are a lot slower. I set my ereader on a five minute timeout and often it sleeps on me while I'm relating something that I just read (no matter how tangentally) to my own life experience. Also, I'll go off and research some mentioned phenomena/book/person/historical event.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:43 AM   #51
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
OTOH, one disadvantage for me is that unlike what quite a few people say, I don't 'hear' people's voices when reading...
I certainly do. And sometimes they get stuck trying to pronounce a characters name. So they try again, again and again. And after that, they sometimes find they have forgotten what they just read due to distraction with the name, so they have to go back and re-read the paragraph.

Stupid voices.

But if you look at "time to complete a book" divided by "cost to purchase the book", I have a phenomenal "bang for the buck" rating.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:24 AM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I have discovered over the lqst couple of months as I get into reading a wide range of Golden Age mystery novels that I am enjoying them more as I slow down. Francis Vivian and Christopher Bush in particular have proved to be authors whom I enjoy more if take the time to follow the gentle, relaxed pacing of their paragraphs.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-13-2022 at 03:29 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:37 AM   #53
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just took a reading speed test and my result is 230 words per minute which is an average reader and I could improve if I get rid of subvocalizatiotion which I know I have.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #54
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
People have different reading speeds just like they have different walking speeds. It doesn't really mean anything so long as you're fine with your speed.

That said, there's a weird trend on fanfic novels right now for authors to put extremely condescending notes about 'you've read a lot! time to take a break!' on some chapters. It always makes me wonder why they think this is OK, and how slowly do they read anyway? Fanfic is a great soruce of dumb, tropey fun, but these people aren't writing masterpieces that take ages to get through.

Last edited by Rbneader; 11-22-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #55
nellywilk
nellywilk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
I just took a reading speed test and my result is 230 words per minute which is an average reader and I could improve if I get rid of subvocalizatiotion which I know I have.
Do you mind sharing, what test was that?
nellywilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:15 AM   #56
arturg
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellywilk View Post
Do you mind sharing, what test was that?
http://www.readingsoft.com
Old 12-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #57
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
400 pages or less it takes less than a week if its a good book. i read about 2-3 novels a month
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote