Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
How cheap is cheap? I mostly read SF, fantasy, and YA, but I also read quite a lot romance. My favourites are Courtney Milan (mostly straight couples, both historical and contemporary), whose novels cost ~5 USD, and KJ Charles (gay couples, historical and historical fantasy, at 4-5 USD). As they are romances, they have happy endings, but some of them go quite grim first, so you really feel the protagonists have deserved their happily-ever-after.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
hildea: Thanks I found some of her books on Amazon UK for free. I've downloaded one to try: The Governess Affair. If I like this, I may try others which are fairly inexpensive (from 99p to a couple of £'s).

If anyone could recommend another genre: historical, thriller, detective; anything except sci-fi, fantasy or YA, that would be great. See above for my definition of 'happy ending'. Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #18
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Be aware that Milan's inexpensive ones are mostly novellas. They are good, but might be disappointing if you're expecting full length novels.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Terisa: you can download it for free, but only in epub.

JSWolf: I mentioned in my original post that sci fi is a genre I don't particularly like.
I missed that. But still, the book I recommended is very good and you may find you'll like it. The main characters are something special and the book is really good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #20
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I dind't check it as epub is the format I use.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Terisa: Did you download the book?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Am I wrong or can you download it for free at goodreads?
Quote:
Exactly where and how can it be downloaded for free?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Exactly where and how can it be downloaded for free?
Follow the link given in post 12. On the Goodreads page, under the synopsis, you'll find several buttons under the heading "Get A Copy". Click the "Download ebook" button.
Simples!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #24
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Follow the link given in post 12. On the Goodreads page, under the synopsis, you'll find several buttons under the heading "Get A Copy". Click the "Download ebook" button.
Simples!
Ha! That download option doesn't appear when using Chrome on my phone, but sure enough it's there on the desktop! Thx.

ApK
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 AM   #25
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
If you're still looking for ideas, I really enjoyed this book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-re-far-apart
At the time I got it it was free on Amazon, but that's no longer the case. Maybe you can find a place to borrow it.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #26
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Beneath a Scarlet Sky is AMAZING. The author had to take a few liberties to fill in the gaps but Pino Lella's ( book is about him) son states the book is 90% accurate ( he posted on goodreads)

My grandparents died in Germany in the mid 1940's and it was a great look into the past and in that era.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #27
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Don Quixote, USA by Richard Powell. Very funny. it's $4.99 or free from Kindle Unlimited.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #28
BookCat
C L J

These seem to be war stories, or at least set during wars. Do they have 'happy' endings?
Thanks for the recommendations, but I'd hate it if the good guys die at the end.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #29
ApK

Quote:
These seem to be war stories, or at least set during wars. Do they have 'happy' endings?
Thanks for the recommendations, but I'd hate it if the good guys die at the end.
At the risk of a spoiler for a book about WWII: We won, so there's that.

But seriously, I had to double check what thread this was when I saw that recommendation, too. Even with a happy ENDING, I'd doubt the REST of a book about wartime makes it suitable to the OP's purposes.

Last edited by ApK; 03-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
If you're still looking for ideas, I really enjoyed this book. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-re-far-apart
At the time I got it it was free on Amazon, but that's no longer the case. Maybe you can find a place to borrow it.
Thanks for reminding me of this one--I probably got it when it was free; I've had it for ages.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compelling, free or cheap, happy ending, mobi