Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #31
Enthusiast
guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Inkbook 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
-- A2 mode (or "Black-and-white without greys but also without the flashing effect upon change"): how fast does it look? Is ghosting evident? Could you try playing videos?
An example of a video (the accidental sound is not from the icarus): http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...011_233255.mp4
It's black and white video. With more colors it looks worse.
The switching between the A2 and the standard mode doesn't work very well. I have to restart the device so it forgets completely the A2 mode.
Actually in the standard mode the flashing isn't that bad. There is a small delay between touching the screen and changing the view - I thing this way they made it to flash less, but the small delay is noticeable.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #32
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
I wrote absolute performance. Absolute from clock speed.
The i.MX 6SoloLite has a value around 275 and a clock around 1000; this odd processor (a variant of 3188? Cannot get it yet) .
It seems like it is a 3188. Here

Quote:
I would love to know a couple of things:

-- A2 mode (or "Black-and-white without greys but also without the flashing effect upon change"): how fast does it look? Is ghosting evident? Could you try playing videos?

-- Office Automation, text editing: could you try Kingsoft version 5.12 and/or WPS latest version, and tell us the experience? (I hope you have a keyboard to connect, either BT or USB-OTG)
-Tried videos in youtube both in normal and A2 mode. Didn't crash and the sound was fine. In normal mode the screen fluctuates between a normal image and a ghosty one all the time (not fast enough to refresh, I guess). With A2 mode it goes much faster but you can't see the images clearly, they seem just like a bunch of shadowy images moving. I was quite impressed by it but there is no way you can watch a video like that.
Another thing is that there is no shortcut to access the volume of the device. Only from the Music app or third apps.

-I tried it with a couple of taking notes apps (SimpleNote and the one that comes with the firmware). I used both a BT keyboard and an wireless keyboard (OTG) and both work fine for taking notes. I type fast so sometimes the cursor gets delayed a little in normal mode but it was Ok.
I have also used an external keyboard to turn pages with Alreader (I miss the keys for turning pages )

Last edited by colibris79; 10-11-2017 at 06:39 PM.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
It seems like it is a 3188. Here

-Tried videos in youtube both in normal and A2 mode. Didn't crash and the sound was fine. In normal mode the screen fluctuates between a normal image and a ghosty one all the time (not fast enough to refresh, I guess). With A2 mode it goes much faster but you can't see the images clearly, they seem just like a bunch of shadowy images moving. I was quite impressed by it but there is no way you can watch a video like that.
Another thing is that there is no shortcut to access the volume of the device. Only from the Music app or third apps.

-I tried it with a couple of taking notes apps (SimpleNote and the one that comes with the firmware). I used both a BT keyboard and an wireless keyboard (OTG) and both work fine for taking notes. I type fast so sometimes the cursor gets delayed a little in normal mode but it was Ok.
I have also used an external keyboard to turn pages with Alreader (I miss the keys for turning pages )
Can you try scrolling some text? I have the T62D and it does that so well that I can read while it's scrolling. I can't believe they would remove something like that.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #34
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can you try scrolling some text? I have the T62D and it does that so well that I can read while it's scrolling. I can't believe they would remove something like that.
You mean scrolling inside of a pdf, for example? Using which app? I am using Perfect Viewer to read a pdf and a black and white comic and I find the scrolling to be very smooth (at least for an e-ink device).

Last edited by colibris79; 10-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #35
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean scrolling inside of a pdf, for example? Using which app? I am using Perfect Viewer to read a pdf and a black and white comic and I find the scrolling to be very smooth (at least for an e-ink device).
I do more scrolling in the Calibre Companion app. The text scrolls perfectly and I can read while scrolling. The book covers look like crap which is what I would expect. I tried scrolling on a browser, and I could read easily while scrolling.
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #36
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I just tried scrolling this thread and I could easily read while scrolling.

Sent from my T62+ using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #37
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
I do more scrolling in the Calibre Companion app. The text scrolls perfectly and I can read while scrolling. The book covers look like crap which is what I would expect. I tried scrolling on a browser, and I could read easily while scrolling.
I think it should be the same here. When scrolling on my browser, if there are no images you can read the text just fine.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #38
colibris79
Zealot

One thing I wold like to say about the screen definition. Even though I think it is great, I find the screen from my Onyx C67ML Carta 2 a little bit better. Fonts seem slightly "crispier" and definition also seems better.
Still, I just love my 8 inches device!

Last edited by colibris79; 10-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think it should be the same here. When scrolling on my browser, if there are no images you can read the text just fine.
Thanks. I just realized that you said that there is both normal and A2 mode. So it can't do it automatically?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #40
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Thanks. I just realized that you said that there is both normal and A2 mode. So it can't do it automatically?
I don't exactly what you mean by "automatically" but I was scrolling without any problems in normal mode (I could read while scrolling down). Although I don't have a T62D to compare it with. If you show us a video of the T62D and its scrolling maybe we can tell you for sure.

Last edited by colibris79; 10-12-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #41
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I don't exactly what you mean by "automatically"
On some devices - Onyx for example -, upon touch drag the EPD mode changes from Normal to A2, and back to Normal upon release
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #42
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
there is no way you can watch a video like that.
On the Onyx Boox Max Carta you can watch (*reasonable*) videos just (*reasonably*) fine, only the refresh seems around 8fps.
I have seen a Dasung clip where video looks even fluid (12fps? 16fps?)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #43
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
On some devices - Onyx for example -, upon touch drag the EPD mode changes from Normal to A2, and back to Normal upon release
Ok, now I understand. In the browser, it does change from normal to A2 and back to normal (refreshing the screen) after release, just like in my Onyx Reader.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #44
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
On the Onyx Boox Max Carta you can watch (*reasonable*) videos just (*reasonably*) fine, only the refresh seems around 8fps.
I have seen a Dasung clip where video looks even fluid (12fps? 16fps?)
That's true. It all depends on how you understand "reasonably". Maybe saying "no way" was too much. But I can say there is no way I can watch a video like that and enjoy. It's only my opinion though.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #45
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
That's true. It all depends on how you understand "reasonably". Maybe saying "no way" was too much. But I can say there is no way I can watch a video like that and enjoy. It's only my opinion though.
The matter is the purpose. My parameter is "university lessons" - check the MIT public courses for example. Although, one of us suggested "older Kurosawa", and it may even work well ; ) Roshomon did not shake much.