Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Does the Kobo Aura H2O accepts 64GB SDXC?

Looking at the current cards on sale, I would almost expect it. However, I can't find the thread in which someone got a 64GB microSD card working.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Looking at the current cards on sale, I would almost expect it. However, I can't find the thread in which someone got a 64GB microSD card working.
There was this thread: 64gb MicroSD - WORKS

I seem to remember that he had to reformat from exFAT to FAT32 using a third party tool. There was another thread as well about using a 64GB SDXC as well though I seem to remember that was not about the H2O.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-07-2015 at 06:05 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Someone had 128GB cards working, also.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Thanks!

I'll search the kobo reader forum next time, too! (Not only the developers corner and the whole site.)

Another interesting thread is: Aura HD 64Gb MicroSD in Kobo Aura HD?

Last edited by Markismus; 07-08-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Yes, 64 gig cards work. I am using a 128gig card in my AuraHD and AuraH20.

Here is the card: http://www.amazon.ca/Lexar-High-Perf...DXC+633x+128GB

Wow, very expensive. Wait until they go on sale.

Here is the 64gig card: http://www.amazon.ca/Lexar-High-Perf...DXC+633x+128GB

And, I use this: http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk...-10974082.html to format it (fat32). You may need to 'Run as administrator' in win8.1.

Best,
Shunter
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Markismus
Guru

Thanks Shunter101. I installed the Transcend 64GB class 10 card in my external slot (changed exFAT to Fat with GParted and formatted it in Linux). Filled it up to 70% and everything is readable. Next to the literature, I put my whole organized sheetmusic (25GB) collection on it. Nice!

Did you also try installing a 64GB/128GB internally?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
Syana344
Syana344 will become famous soon enoughSyana344 will become famous soon enoughSyana344 will become famous soon enoughSyana344 will become famous soon enoughSyana344 will become famous soon enoughSyana344 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara
Hi all,

Just to share my experience: I made some trials with my new Glo HD. As I had several microSD around, I checked 32GB, 64GB and 128GB internally.

All of them are Sandisk microSDs Class10, and yes, it works fine with all of them.

As it was already said, I had to reformat from exFAT to FAT32 the 64GB and 128GB with an external tool, but once done no issue for me.
Syana344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
jretropie
jretropie began at the beginning.

Device: H2O
I just install a Samsung 128GB on sale on amazon. When it boot up, it will show a error message saying the SD wasn't formated to fat32. (But I did formated fat32)

But even it have this error, when I got to device information, it does show the external SD as 128GB.
jretropie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #9
Markismus
Guru

IIRC, than you could try using a few smaller partitions on the 128GB. There is a limit imposed by microsoft of 32GB, theoretically it could run up to 2TB.
However, if you're only using the external slot, that is not practical, since only one partition gets mounted.
IIRC2, not all fat32 partitions are created the same. Switch your format program. Normally I would switch between windows/linux for formatting it. But if you're windows only, you could try googling for software that also formats your SDcard.

Personally I opted for the partitions as they are given on the internal SD-card. At the end I added a very large ext2 partition: It's mounted at boot at /mnt/user. With KSM+koreader the library is accessible and Nickel isn't bothered with it. The beauty of it is that you can still factory reset your reader.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
not sure where the limit is, but the kobo does support 128G fat partition just fine (using kobo's own mkfs.vfat to boot)

maybe you used GPT instead of oldschool msdos partitions? that might not be supported (never tested)

also must be partition number 1 for the external sd (3 for internal sd)
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
not sure where the limit is, but the kobo does support 128G fat partition just fine (using kobo's own mkfs.vfat to boot)

maybe you used GPT instead of oldschool msdos partitions? that might not be supported (never tested)

also must be partition number 1 for the external sd (3 for internal sd)
Limit is Windows.

As mentioned, the native GUI format tool only allows up to 32GB. Can't remember exactly but CLI format might allow for greater than 32GB.

I used a third party program (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free) to expand the FAT32 partition.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I created an addon for the Kobo (MagicMemory, see in my signature) that allows the Kobo itself to extend its own sd card. I should probably update it though, see if it still works, and give on-screen instructions with fbink...

well, a project for another day, I guess
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
jretropie
jretropie began at the beginning.

Device: H2O
Ok. I backup my old SD to image file and then load it to the 128gb Samsung SD card. Then use partition mini tool to resize it. Now it works fine without error message.

Now I have a 128GB eReader. I am so satisfy!

Last edited by jretropie; 11-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
jretropie is offline   Reply With Quote