Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Taupo6
Taupo6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D00901
default app for mobi has changed to pdf

i broke my kindle screen recently. i tried to read the book on my laptop and in doing so i accidentally converted my entire library to pdf when i opened one book using pdf (i didnt see the comment to apply it to all files). Now i cant open my books as my kindle (new screen now) wont open any of them in pdf format.

How do i get the original mobi file format back and to change the default app from adobe pdf back to mobi format. do i need to change the entire library using Calibre or similar? i tried doing converting one book and now have both pdf and mobi in the directory. is there a simpler way to restore my library or will i need to reload the entire library again. i still need to get the app to use mobi to open it and this is where i am stuck.

Many thanks for your feedback on this
Taupo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupo6 View Post
i broke my kindle screen recently. i tried to read the book on my laptop and in doing so i accidentally converted my entire library to pdf when i opened one book using pdf (i didnt see the comment to apply it to all files). Now i cant open my books as my kindle (new screen now) wont open any of them in pdf format.

How do i get the original mobi file format back and to change the default app from adobe pdf back to mobi format. do i need to change the entire library using Calibre or similar? i tried doing converting one book and now have both pdf and mobi in the directory. is there a simpler way to restore my library or will i need to reload the entire library again. i still need to get the app to use mobi to open it and this is where i am stuck.

Many thanks for your feedback on this
This sounds like a Calibre issue. @Mods, can you please move this over to Calibre for this poster?

OP, I'll "report" it only so the mods move it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't really understand what you've done. But perhaps someone here in the calibre forum will be able to help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Possibly you set PDF as you preferred output format.

Preferences: Behavior: <Set the output format to AZW3 or Mobi for a Kindle>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Taupo6
Taupo6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D00901
Thanks for the feedback. yes i did select pdf as the preferred output in the one book i treid to open using my laptop. but it converted all the books in my library to pdf as i didnt uncheck the box that said to do so for only one book. thus in my calibre library, all the books are now in pdf format. will i need to reconvert them all back to mobi file? i tried with one book and it has both formats in the directory.
in my computer settings, the default app for opening the mobi file type is now pdf. i cant see how to change that back to the correct file type.
sorry if this seems a bit low tech but i am not so good at this. Thanks for your help
Taupo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupo6 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. yes i did select pdf as the preferred output in the one book i treid to open using my laptop. but it converted all the books in my library to pdf as i didnt uncheck the box that said to do so for only one book. thus in my calibre library, all the books are now in pdf format. will i need to reconvert them all back to mobi file? i tried with one book and it has both formats in the directory.
in my computer settings, the default app for opening the mobi file type is now pdf. i cant see how to change that back to the correct file type.
sorry if this seems a bit low tech but i am not so good at this. Thanks for your help
No re-conversion needed (normally)
Whe Calibre converts, it adds the format to 'the book', so you now have both.

When you connect different devices, the device driver has the ordered list of preferred (allowed) formats. If there IS an existing format that's on the list, it simply sends it. If there are none available, it converts to the preferred output(as set in behavior) using the preferred input list to determin which (if multiples) should be used as the conversions source.

NOTE: if you wish to FORCE a conversion, do a Manual Conversion (the convert icon), there you can pick both the IN and OUT formats
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote