Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Hitch - a recurrent problem I've struck with screenshot based instructions is that users are often unfamiliar with the target application/system. And your clients, being of a writerly bent rather than being painterly types, could be more comfortable with a bunch of words rather than a bunch of pictures.
With all due respect, Red--and I mean this, from the bottom of my heart--this kind of makes me want to kill you, or myself. Y'know WHY I have these? Because my clients do not and will not read written instructions. For YEARS I have battled with this irony; that authors, apparently, won't read. I have tons of written instructions. TONS. None of which they'll read. They won't read emails; they won't read instructions IN emails; given the choice, they will neither download nor read instructions.

When I had my forms and instructions in Hightail, I found out, factually, that for every 100 forms downloaded, only 1-3 of the instruction sheets that goes with the form would be downloaded. Yes, that's right--one to three, total, for every 100 downloads of the forms. And then I'd be besieged with email..."Hitch, what do I put in this field?" "Hitch, what's this for?" "Hitch, why do I need to complete this?"

IME, authors and publishers want everything to "just work" like most Mac users. They want it to intuitive, and when it's not, it's a nightmare.

Quote:
I tend to use screenshots to illustrate/reinforce written instructions rather than the medium to convey the instructions. Maybe a web page with clickable thumbnails, a'la this would be a better approach. Or something like this from Dropbox.
Yup...feeling suicidal right now.

Quote:
I find the vast majority instruction videos useless, notable exceptions are those Kovid has done for calibre - where the visuals are used to reinforce his narrative.
They don't watch them anyway. You want to take a wild guess how many times a week I say "and did you download/do X, like we discuss in the "Watch me first" video?????"

Quote:
Can I suggest you post one of the PDF's here.
I'll send you one.

Quote:
Added : another idea I've often used is to suggest the instructions be viewed on a phone/tablet, and executed on a computer, or vice versa. That's what I did with Kovid's videos when I first installed calibre - watched a segment on a tablet, then put it into practice on my desktop, if I didn't 'get it' rewind and repeat, else watch next segment.
Uh....one of us is deranged. Put the instructions on their phones or tablets? Dude...these guys literally don't know what "download from a browser" MEANS. Sideload to a phone or tablet? OMG...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Send one of the eight-year-old hackers from DEFCON round to see them.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
maybe the pdf redone as a "graphic novel" aka a comic may be more appealing
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
maybe the pdf redone as a "graphic novel" aka a comic may be more appealing
I feel like dying just a little bit, when I say this, but...I have actually made two comics, for instructions. See attached--two different comics that I've made. That doesn't work, either. (I attach these solely so you know I'm not making it up....)

Hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comic1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	165548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comic2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	165549  
Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
With all due respect, Red--and I mean this, from the bottom of my heart--this kind of makes me want to kill you, or myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed
I tend to use screenshots to illustrate/reinforce written instructions rather than the medium to convey the instructions. Maybe a web page with clickable thumbnails, a'la this would be a better approach. Or something like this from Dropbox.
Yup...feeling suicidal right now.
Sorry, I know this comment can't help, but I can't avoid to laugh for the situation, and a lot. You should write a book Hitch with all these "anecdotes"; it would be a boom.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
audiobook version ???
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post

Sorry, I know this comment can't help, but I can't avoid to laugh for the situation, and a lot. You should write a book Hitch with all these "anecdotes"; it would be a boom.
I think it's a small niche, Rube, that would "get it." Y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
audiobook version ???
NOW you guys are starting to realize WHY I posted here. I am just out of ideas. Text. Comics. Pictures. Videos. I am simply at wit's end.

Hitch
Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

NOW you guys are starting to realize WHY I posted here. I am just out of ideas. Text. Comics. Pictures. Videos. I am simply at wit's end.

Hitch
You have pretty much exhausted the gamut. Perhaps a FAQ section on the web site with short videos for short attention spans and text description (answers). I feel your pain. Or you could use my answer for everything, a wiki page (tada!)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #24
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I think I know why Hitch has that avatar now.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You have pretty much exhausted the gamut. Perhaps a FAQ section on the web site with short videos for short attention spans and text description (answers). I feel your pain. Or you could use my answer for everything, a wiki page (tada!)

Dale
Dale:

I've actually acquired Help & Manual 7, and I'm nearly done with a brand-new, wiki-ish Help section that I will a) add to our website and b) print out in PDF. (sigh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I think I know why Hitch has that avatar now.
Yes, you have that exactly right. It always frustrated me, but now, it's been nearly a decade, and it just seems to really be getting WORSE, which I never would have believed.

I had another "typety-type-type-type-ENTER-ENTER-typety-type=type-typeENTERENTER" manuscript today, all 75K words of it. (sigh). The submitter was NOT 100 years old, either. Who doesn't know that word processors word-wrap, in 2018???????

Hitch
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Hitch
Send a copy by Guido's delivery service. We will wait until you read these

theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Send a copy by Guido's delivery service. We will wait until you read these

Don't think I haven't been tempted!

Hitch
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Speaking of someone who learned to type in 1975, "enter enter" is a hard habit to break.

But as someone who has helped others learn computer skills, I somewhat feel you pain.

Years ago, in the late 80's early 90's, I was a part of a local food co-op. For a time, I received orders from users, many via fax. One gal's order always came through with half the page nothing but smears/static. Finally got it figured out...she was turning off her fax machine before it was done slurping the paper all the way through. She thought that was ok.

Then there was the insurance agent who had a template Word File he used, and he wanted to print out 25 or so each Monday. Went to his office to help straighten out what he said wasn't working right. He would open Word, print 1 copy, then fire up his scanner and make 24 copies, which were fuzzy and not clear. I was speechless.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How about a video game or virtual reality. Or maybe an injection of AI
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #30
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I sometimes put together screenshots for folks I work with, using the "Snipping Tool" that comes with Windows 7. It always open the screenshot directly in front of the application. After copy > pasting the screenshot into Word or email, I have occasionally caught myself clicking on the Snipping Tool screenshot instead of the application...although I am able to figure out what's wrong PDQ!

I'd suggest you tell the user to open the PDF beside the browser/application window...but I suspect that's too technical for this crowd. Assuming they'd even read that instruction.

I feel for ya, Hitch.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote