Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
dkplayaclub
dkplayaclub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Resizing Covers for PocketBook App?

I am having an issue where a few of the books in my collection show with white bars on top/bottom or both sides. I have tried replacing the cover with a resized image but no matter what I try, I can't get the image to display correctly. I have even looked at a few books that do display correctly and made note of the cover size, but even those sizes don't seem to work.
Is there a default size that I can use, or some other fix?
dkplayaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Assuming you're talking about epubs (not pdf) ...

You can't choose a 'magic' image size but you can code your books so that the cover image will automatically expand to fill whatever screen size your device has. Based on your post I have no way of assessing how familiar you are with editing epubs, but the following is some sample code to achieve what you want. Use it for the epub's cover html.:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
  <meta name="calibre:cover" content="true"/>
  <title>Cover</title>
  <style type="text/css" title="override_css">
  @page {
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
      }
  body {
      text-align: center;
      padding: 0;
      margin: 0;
  }
  </style>
</head>
<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1365 2100" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet">
      <image width="1365" height="2100" xlink:href="../images/cover.jpeg"/>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>
</html>
  • The red numbers need to be the actual dimensions of your chosen cover image. The example shows a 1365x2100 cover image.
  • The blue path is the internal epub path to the cover image file.
  • The Green part, preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet", assumes you want to retain the correct aspect ratio of your chosen cover. If you prefer edge-to-edge on all 4 sides and don't mind some distortion use this setting instead, preserveAspectRatio="none"

If you're already using the Calibre software to manage all your books on a PC or Mac then it has simple features to apply the above style of covers to all your epubs at the press of a button.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
dkplayaclub

Thanks for your reply @jackie_w. I am using Calibre to edit my ebooks, and I do try to stick to epub format when possible. Up until now, I have only really used it to do very simple edits, never anything like this.

I made the changes you suggested to my "titlepage.xhtml" file, but I am still having the same issue. Just to be clear, I am not actually having an issue with the cover page displaying once I open the epub in PocketBook, but in the PocketBook library. Whether I have it set to show list or tile view, I get a squished thumb. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I normally use Calibre Companion as my Android library manager and just use Pocketbook (or Mantano) for the actual reading. Nevertheless I just opened up the Pocketbook 'All Books' page in both grid and list views. In each view every thumbnail is exactly the same size, no matter what the actual cover dimensions are.

Is it possible that Pocketbook is 'remembering' your old cover thumbnail in its cache? In which case try deleting the book from the device using Pocketbook. Then resend the book with its newly edited cover page. I don't know whether this would guarantee that Pocketbook will re-create a new thumbnail, but it's worth a try.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
dkplayaclub

Well, I was unable to get the cover to work properly, so I downloaded another version of the same book and it seems to work now.
Advert
Old 11-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
peter_kiel
peter_kiel began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
I found this old thread because I had the same problem as dkplayaclub.

To illustrate it, here are two thumbnails of the library page of PocketBook Reader, on the left the crippled covers and on the right the good ones.

I figured out, that the reason is an incorrect epub file structure. If the "content.opf" file is in root directory of the ebook, the book cover has the frame, if it is in the document folder (e.g. OEBPS), the cover is displayed in full size.

I fixed the problem with calibre ebook editor by renaming the "content.opf" file to "OEBPS\content.opf".

I hope, this will help.
I think, PocketBook Reader Android App is best Reader App and it is relativly unkown.
peter_kiel is offline   Reply With Quote