Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #1396
BrentEubanks
BrentEubanks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
It's not a big deal for me either way. But I can tell you for sure that this problem did not exist in early August.
BrentEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #1397
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentEubanks View Post
It's not a big deal for me either way. But I can tell you for sure that this problem did not exist in early August.
Well the last time there were any code changes in the driver in the area handling this was May. And that wouldn't have affected this. The bug has been there since the function was added in August 2016.

Did you change the configuration in August to add the collection name?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #1398
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you set the author in the metadata plugboard for whichever of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver you use, the multiple authors will be set correctly when the device processes the books:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
I've tried this value in the plugboard, it works great (it's especially useful now that kobo allows to see books by author)
Is there a way to tell kobo utilities to use the plugboard when updating the metadata? (if I'm not mistaken, the plugboard value is only used when sending the book to the device)
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #1399
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
I've tried this value in the plugboard, it works great (it's especially useful now that kobo allows to see books by author)
Is there a way to tell kobo utilities to use the plugboard when updating the metadata? (if I'm not mistaken, the plugboard value is only used when sending the book to the device)
There is a checkbox on the Update Metadata dialog to use the plugboard. It is after all the options to choose what fields get updated.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #1400
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
There is a checkbox on the Update Metadata dialog to use the plugboard. It is after all the options to choose what fields get updated.
Great! I had to change calibre to english to find it, the french translation is a bit difficult to understand. I will work on it when I have the time.
Thank you for your help!
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #1401
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
I try to find an automated solution to store whether a book is on my device or not. Of course nothing important, only nice info as I have two devices and only one could be plugged in at same time.
I am already using this plugin for reading date and percentage showing for each of the two devices. It works perfect.

Looking into the help pages there should be a store option for the reading status but this seems to be replaced by ration (if so, the documentation is not updated). Maybe you decided it is not needed as percentage will provide same information.
But my hope was that there is a status when the book is on the device (one of three) and no status if not.
This information cannot be evaluated from percentage.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #1402
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
I try to find an automated solution to store whether a book is on my device or not.
There is an automated way to do this. You want the Reading List plugin. Have a look in the thread for Reading List plugin. It will do just as you want. I do the same thing with my H2O.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134856
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #1403
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I use reading list to update a custom column for each device (odk and odt) that uses this template:
Code:
{#odk:switch(Yes,K,No,x,.)}{#odt:switch(Yes,T,No,x,.)}
So it shows KT if it is on both devices and xx if it has been removed from both devices, and .. if the columns are not set.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #1404
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
I try to find an automated solution to store whether a book is on my device or not. Of course nothing important, only nice info as I have two devices and only one could be plugged in at same time.
I am already using this plugin for reading date and percentage showing for each of the two devices. It works perfect.

Looking into the help pages there should be a store option for the reading status but this seems to be replaced by ration (if so, the documentation is not updated). Maybe you decided it is not needed as percentage will provide same information.
But my hope was that there is a status when the book is on the device (one of three) and no status if not.
This information cannot be evaluated from percentage.
Yes, the percent read is basically the reading status: If there is no value, it is unread, if it is 100% then it is finished, anything else is being read. Zero does mean being read, but it is not really possible to achieve this on the device. Using it to indicate the book is on a device is not a good idea.

The plugin has no concept of a book being on the device if the device is not connected. Part of that is that I don't find it a very useful piece of information. Another part is that I am a heavy user of the Reading List plugin (as JSWolf suggested). This can be used to repopulate a list each time the device is connected. But, I use it to make sure books go to the devices I want them on the next time the devices are connected.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #1405
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The plugin has no concept of a book being on the device if the device is not connected. Part of that is that I don't find it a very useful piece of information.
As I think I've mentioned before, I have a lot of searches that are dependent on if a book is on the device or not.

Really, for me, a book has 3 "on device" states:
1) not on device
2) recently added to device but not yet imported
3) on device and imported

I need to keep track of these because if I edit a cover, it's not interesting if the book isn't (yet) on the device, as it will be automatically transferred next time it is put there. But if it is on the device, then the cover now needs to be updated on the device eventually. Worse...if a book gets sent to the device, and I edit the cover _after_ that but before the book is imported, now I can't update the cover until next time.

Similarly, if a book was recently added to the device, next time I need to update its metadata; and when it is removed, I need to reset that flag so that if it is re-added, the metadata can be re-added.

And just to be extra confusing, occasionally a book gets sent to the main memory instead of the SD card, and the reading list plugin treats these as separate targets on the same device.

Either the reading list plugin isn't sophisticated enough to keep track of those states, or I'm not clever enough to use it to do so. There's some corner cases it can't satisfy (like keeping track of things not yet imported, and discrepancies between books actually on the device and ones it thinks are while the device is plugged in and things are being changed), but it helps even so.

Last edited by compurandom; 10-26-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #1406
compurandom
Guru

That reminds me... a feature I'd like to see in kobo utilities...

Occasionally the cover on the device is better than the cover in the library.
It would be awesome if I could not just send covers, but retrieve them.

Unfortunately, sometimes I know which books have better covers on device, and sometimes I don't until I see them. Not sure how to fix that, but still, having a cover import feature would be a lot better than munging through the filesystem and doing it manually.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 AM   #1407
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
That reminds me... a feature I'd like to see in kobo utilities...

Occasionally the cover on the device is better than the cover in the library.
It would be awesome if I could not just send covers, but retrieve them.

Unfortunately, sometimes I know which books have better covers on device, and sometimes I don't until I see them. Not sure how to fix that, but still, having a cover import feature would be a lot better than munging through the filesystem and doing it manually.
I assume you are talking about purchased books downloaded to the device. There isn't anything at the moment. But, I have recently been thinking about library books downloaded to the Aura ONE. It would be good to have a way to add an empty book to the calibre library to allow tracking these. That's a while off as I haven't looked at it.

But, the other part I might be able to help with. I was fiddling with covers recently and kept wanting to look at what was on the device. I did add something to select a book and open the directory holding the cover. I hadn't thought of a good use for it other than the type of experimenting I was doing. But, this would make grabbing the cover easier.

I'll have to prepare a release. I was fiddling with something and I think it's broken. I'll have to put that back together first.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #1408
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As I think I've mentioned before, I have a lot of searches that are dependent on if a book is on the device or not.

Really, for me, a book has 3 "on device" states:
1) not on device
2) recently added to device but not yet imported
3) on device and imported

I need to keep track of these because if I edit a cover, it's not interesting if the book isn't (yet) on the device, as it will be automatically transferred next time it is put there. But if it is on the device, then the cover now needs to be updated on the device eventually. Worse...if a book gets sent to the device, and I edit the cover _after_ that but before the book is imported, now I can't update the cover until next time.
When you resend a book to the device, the driver will delete any existing cover images. They will be recreated from the new copy of the book. The only problem with this is that a few covers will be cached in memory. This includes the covers for the current book. The images aren't recreated until the cached copies are removed from memory or you restart the device and they are needed again.
Quote:
Similarly, if a book was recently added to the device, next time I need to update its metadata; and when it is removed, I need to reset that flag so that if it is re-added, the metadata can be re-added.

And just to be extra confusing, occasionally a book gets sent to the main memory instead of the SD card, and the reading list plugin treats these as separate targets on the same device.
No, calibre treats them as separate targets. When you send a book, you decide where it goes. You can set a default for when you just click the send button, or you can choose each time. The reading lists work by defining which device the list is for. And you can point them at the secondary memory if you want.
Quote:
Either the reading list plugin isn't sophisticated enough to keep track of those states, or I'm not clever enough to use it to do so. There's some corner cases it can't satisfy (like keeping track of things not yet imported, and discrepancies between books actually on the device and ones it thinks are while the device is plugged in and things are being changed), but it helps even so.
Overall, you are describing roughly what I do. I don't worry so much about updating the metadata as the main time I change a book on the device is as I read it and fix problems. At that point, the metadata isn't that important to me. Occasionally, I select all recently change books and update the metadata. That will include recently read books, but I put the last read date and my rating in the comments when I update the metadata, so these do need to be updated on the device.

For my processes, I have a reading list for each device. These are set as "send on connect" and "clear after send". When I get a new book or change one, I decide which devices to put it on. Then I add it to the appropriate lists. Next time I connect the device, the books get sent and the list gets cleared.

If I was going to always update the metadata, I'd probably not have the list clear automatically. Then I could select the books in the list and do whatever else I needed to do with these books. And then manually clear the list.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #1409
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
I assume you are talking about purchased books downloaded to the device.
Actually, it's probably a lot messier than that.
I've got calibre on systems at different sites, and the only communication between the two sites is my ebook, so sometimes I end up importing books into one or the other library directly from the device.

Also, I frequently create covers for books that either don't have any or have worthless covers. (Lots of imported PDFs, but quite a few epubs too.) If I make or update a cover at one site, it would be nice to import it at the other site as well. Keeping track of what has been updated is well beyond anything I would expect, but it would be nice to be able to import them manually.

Quote:
There isn't anything at the moment. But, I have recently been thinking about library books downloaded to the Aura ONE. It would be good to have a way to add an empty book to the calibre library to allow tracking these.
I already do that with the existing Overdrive plugin which does a fairly good job of populating the library with empty books with good metadata. About half the time, calibre automatically matches the empty overdrive entry with the book on device without any help. (Some of which now have covers in my library.) Also, about half of the overdrive books come with poor covers, cropped stupidly or are otherwise worthless, so I occasionally "improve" them and replace the cover on the device.

I rarely bother adding covers to overdrive books; usually if I do it is because I was fixing/replacing the cover that came with the book. This is even more important with the new home screen.

Quote:
When you resend a book to the device, the driver will delete any existing cover images.
That's not the issue. The issue is that I import a bunch of books, queue them for send to device, and then plug in the device. While I'm bored waiting for that to finish, I start looking through the set and realize some of them have ugly covers, and start making better ones. Or maybe I sent these books a month ago and I'm just now getting around to fixing the covers.

At any rate, I now have a bunch of books already on the device and improved covers in calibre. I have a custom column that the generate cover plugin updates and I occasionally remember to manually update to indicate that a book has an updated cover.

So, if the book isn't on the device, that column is meaningless, because as you say, the cover will be sent with the book. But if the book is already on the device, it needs updating, but can't be updated if the book was just sent and hasn't been imported yet. I'm not going to re-send the book, because I probably don't need to embed the cover into the actual book, and if it is from overdrive, I can't anyway.

As to updating metadata, updating metadata of recent books won't work for me. I frequently update metadata on books in spurts, or change metadata on a whole class of books at once, or send old books to the device that haven't been recently modified, so there might be books that are not recent that need their metadata updated. I've got thousands of books in the device, and maybe 3x more in calibre, so updating all book metadata isn't very practical, especially when there might be only 20 that need it.

So I use a marker tag for books that need metadata. Books not on the device do not have the tag set. If books are on the device and I update the metadata, I clear the tag. If I delete a book from the device UI, the tag will be set for a book not on the device, and I need to remember to clear the tag before the book is resent so I remember to resend the metadata.

I also have a reading list for each device, but a lot of books get sent to the device without going through the reading list, so I can't really use it to keep track of metadata.

What would be really helpful would be a macro plugin...
So I could maybe select a bach of books and hit a button to run the macro, and the macro would send covers for selected books, send metadata for books, remove books from the selection for which either of those failed, and then remove a marker tag and/or set a column value for the remaining books.

Or something like that. (Maybe not both of those operations in the same macro, but you get the idea.)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #1410
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I also have a reading list for each device, but a lot of books get sent to the device without going through the reading list, so I can't really use it to keep track of metadata.
For this, you can add the mark and check it not in Reading List but Smart Eject, so, prior to disconnect, there is a warning.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities