Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Nook Glowlight Plus free space?

The new Kindle Paperwhite 4 has made me look back at B&N's Glowlight Plus.

I know it has 4GB of storage, of which 1.5GB is taken by the OS leaving 2.5GB. But I've read conflicting reports of how much space is available for sideloading. I'd first heard that they learned from the beating the Glowlight took and left all of the free space available. But then I've read other reports of them restricting 2GB for B&N content, leaving only 512MB for sideloading.

Any Plus owners that can confirm which is true?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
I just hooked my Glowlight Plus up to my laptop, it shows up as "MTP USB" device with 2.56GB free out of 2.81GB. Calibre shows that is has 2.5GB available.

I just side-loaded over 1GB of epubs with Calibre and didn't have any problems.

I don't know if this matters or not, but this was a 'refurbished by manufacturer' Glowlight Plus purchased off Ebay from a seller called "bigdeals" a few months ago. I have not had any problems with it.

Hope this helps.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I just hooked my Glowlight Plus up to my laptop, it shows up as "MTP USB" device with 2.56GB free out of 2.81GB. Calibre shows that is has 2.5GB available.

I just side-loaded over 1GB of epubs with Calibre and didn't have any problems.
Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure all of the space was available for sideloading. I remember hearing that it was. There's only that one review I read saying differently and I was pretty sure they were mistaken.

Quote:
I don't know if this matters or not, but this was a 'refurbished by manufacturer' Glowlight Plus purchased off Ebay from a seller called "bigdeals" a few months ago. I have not had any problems with it.
That's the seller I'm looking at too. They sold something like 5,000 of the things.

I've been eyeballing the new Kindle Paperwhite, but really hardware wise the old Glowlight Plus is just as nice, except for the smaller hard drive. And it handles ePub, so I wouldn't have to convert my library for the Kindle.

I have an old Simple Touch with Glowlight (my first ereader!) and my better half has a Glowlight 3. The amber light is very nice at night. But I think waterproofing would be a bigger benefit for me, since I like to read in the tub.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The 2013 (white-body) Glowlight was severely limited, only providing 512 MB for side-loading.

At first the 2017 Glowlight 3 (black body with both blue & orange LEDs) was similarly nerfed for side-loading, but B&N removed the partition in a firmware update. So it has plenty of space but a few bad habits, like wiping out all the user-created shelves every time you side-load new content.

I'm wondering whether the firmware update for the 2017 model is applied to the 2013 model. If that's the case, I need to dust off my old Glowlights and get rid of that memory partition.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The 2013 (white-body) Glowlight was severely limited, only providing 512 MB for side-loading...

I'm wondering whether the firmware update for the 2017 model is applied to the 2013 model. If that's the case, I need to dust off my old Glowlights and get rid of that memory partition.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend.
The Glowlight looked like a nice reader, but that 512MB for side-loading killed it and I think it really hurt the Nook brand overall.

The Glowlight 3 is a very nice machine. I just wish they would fix the buggy software. But with the way B&N is going, I'm not counting on it.

When reading, the 3 is trouble free and I guess that counts for a lot. Luckily, I'm not a big user of shelves.

In general, I think model for model, the Nooks always offered more on the hardware side than their Kindle competition. But dumb decisions like the sideloading limit and the extras Amazon offers in their software hurt the Nook.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-09-2018 at 10:59 AM.