Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
6" EZ Reader help!

hi guys,
there seems to be so much info on Pocket Pro... and not so much on 6" model!
My mum just got it, and of course i will be responsible for setting it up for her.. ahhh the things we do for our parents!

anyway, i was checking the firmware download section on EZ Reader website, and it seems that the latest firmware (with the Coolreader) is only available for PP? Is that right? So no Coolreader on 5" version? Thats a shame as i love it... i actually convert everything to fb2 now.

what is the latest firmware for 6"? would that be the December one?

and in general, what are the major differences i should be aware of between the two versions? Anywhere i can find a comparison chart of some sort (not so much tech/size/weight data, but firmware, formats etc).

thanks heaps to all you helpful souls out there!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Smile 6 inch info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
hi guys,
there seems to be so much info on Pocket Pro... and not so much on 6" model!
My mum just got it, and of course i will be responsible for setting it up for her.. ahhh the things we do for our parents!

anyway, i was checking the firmware download section on EZ Reader website, and it seems that the latest firmware (with the Coolreader) is only available for PP? Is that right? So no Coolreader on 5" version? Thats a shame as i love it... i actually convert everything to fb2 now.

what is the latest firmware for 6"? would that be the December one?

and in general, what are the major differences i should be aware of between the two versions? Anywhere i can find a comparison chart of some sort (not so much tech/size/weight data, but firmware, formats etc).

thanks heaps to all you helpful souls out there!
Dear Smarty:

There is a new 6 inch firmware upgrade due soon that will provide Coolreader. I am waiting for it to arrive here at Astak.

I believe the latest 6 inch now is December. That will give you the visible clock, 9 font levels in EPUB, a search engine, and hyperlinks.

You can find all the main info on the 6 inch at: www.theEZreader.com/html on the FAQ sheet under "support".

There is also info on my blog (back aways) at: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

Thank you. The 6 inch is an exceedingly dependable workhorse she will love.

Be thankful you can do something for your mum. My poor mom has Alzheimers and sees me only as a child of 10 years old. This wounds my heart.

Last edited by Robertb; 05-12-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
SmartyPants
Zealot

Thanks Robert!
I knew i could depend on you to answer promtly!
yep i've read all FAQ, its just i already done so much research on PP, and now it seems i can't really use my knowledge on 6" model...

good news about the new firmware coming. Will be looking forward to that.

sorry to hear about you mum...
yes we hardly ever appreciate what we have... only to realise all too late when its gone how important it really was.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Thanks Robert!
I knew i could depend on you to answer promtly!
yep i've read all FAQ, its just i already done so much research on PP, and now it seems i can't really use my knowledge on 6" model...

good news about the new firmware coming. Will be looking forward to that.
You will also need to realize that there are now two versions of the 6" EZ Reader. The original one was the Hanlin V3 with a 200 MHz processor with 4 gray scales, and the new one is a Hanlin V3+ with a 400 MHz processor and 16 gray scales. There are also lots of other differences between the two, so much that the firmware between the two is incompatible. The firmware for the new 6" reader is more closely related to the firmware for the 5", but also not interchangeable.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Try buggins v3 firmware it is the best so far

http://begemot.homeftp.net/ the website in is russian so you might need a translator

Daniyal
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
SmartyPants
Zealot

thanks guys!
i will do some more research on firmware.

Daniyal, i am originally from russia, which is very handy when trying to download stuff off russian websites...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks guys!
i will do some more research on firmware.

Daniyal, i am originally from russia, which is very handy when trying to download stuff off russian websites...
If your Russian reading skills are still good then you might enjoy learning about all the best firmware first hand at this site:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/
Unfortunately, I have to read it with the Google Chrome translator.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
By the way, the Astak EZReader devices have always used CoolReader. The newest version of the PocketPro has updated to version 3 while the older versions used version 2. Many of the tricks used on Version 3 can also be used on Version 2 although version 2 does not support ePUB. See the wiki for more details.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
SmartyPants
Zealot

hmmmm i just read on one of the russian forums that for firmware update the SD card MUST be 512mb max?
All my cards are 2GB min.. who even has 512mb cards these days??
Or does Astak hardware differ from Lbook hardware afterall?

Robert, help!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
We have no such limit on our Firmware Upgrade

Quote:
hmmmm i just read on one of the russian forums that for firmware update the SD card MUST be 512mb max?
All my cards are 2GB min.. who even has 512mb cards these days??
Or does Astak hardware differ from Lbook hardware afterall?

Robert, help!!!
Dear Smarty:

I know nothing about russian forums and cannot possibly comment on them.

We do not have any such limit on Astak Firmware Upgrades. We do recommend a 2GB card.

I agree that you cannot even find 512MB cards now. They are collector's items.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
SmartyPants
Zealot

thanks Robert!
i just wanted to make sure there is no such limitation on 6" model for any firmware upgrades, be it Lbook or official Astak ones...
would you say any 6" model shipped nowdays would already have the latest official firmware installed on it?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
From OpenInkPot Installation Guide:
Quote:
# Unpack to obtain the V3update.bin file
# Copy this file to the root directory of the SD card. Use plain SD formatted with FAT16 - SDHC, MMC, and FAT32 cards won't work. The bootloader is not able to address beyond 1Gb, so either use a card with less than 1Gb storage, or make sure whole file is in first 1Gb of card (e.g. by formatting it).
Note that this is for the Hanlin V3 (EZ Reader Basic), not the V5 (Pocket Pro), and applies equally to any firmware (not just OpenInkPot). In addition, this may be out of date, although I don't think the bootloader is updated once the device leaves the factory (the point of a bootloader is to boot no matter what, so it isn't messed with usually). In any case, it can't hurt to follow these instructions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
SmartyPants
Zealot

right...
so if all i have is a 2Gb card, i should still be ok if i format it?

i was under the impression that Astak, Hanlin, Lbook and some others use the same model hardware-wise, and the only thing that differs is the firmware.. in which case this limitation should apply to all, Astak included?

i am talking about 6" Basic model of course, not PP or Lbook V5 etc
Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
right...
so if all i have is a 2Gb card, i should still be ok if i format it?

i was under the impression that Astak, Hanlin, Lbook and some others use the same model hardware-wise, and the only thing that differs is the firmware.. in which case this limitation should apply to all, Astak included?

i am talking about 6" Basic model of course, not PP or Lbook V5 etc
You should be ok if you format a 2gb card and the first file you put on it is the
firmware.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
You should be ok if you format a 2gb card and the first file you put on it is the
firmware.
That always works for me on the V3 (6") and V5 (5").