Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Astak 6 EZ Reader Plus
Question Newbie question - SD card

Just have my brand new EZReader 6.

I'm impatience to wait for tech support on Monday... so checking what folks here know.

SD card - It's my understanding that this unit can take a 16g SD card.... but I'm not sure what I'm buying. The Astak faq says SDHC cards only for the 5 but doc does say 16. It also notes class 4 for speed.

Any clue to what card I should be orderings????
-------

I'm totally in love already... just need to get Calibre on an SD card to be a total happy puppy.
dacattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Welcome to the Astak family. I have no doubt you will continue to be totally happy with your puppy as it grows on you.

Your profile sez your Device is a 9 Plus, your post sez 6. I'm guessing it is a 6 Plus since I've not heard of an Astak 9" -- although we don't seem to be kept as informed as we once were.

However, my guess is the FAQ has not been updated for the Plus yet, and any information for the 6 is addressing the old 6. (There is, after all, still a button on the 6 Plus spec screen to download ADE firmware, which is for the old 6, not the 6 Plus despite it being mentioned a couple weeks ago)

As I understand it, most specs for the 6 Plus are similar to the 5 PPro other than the size, so being a newer unit, there is no doubt that SDHC in the documentation is correct.

Someone will have to verify my guess, but most of the time the memory speed isn't critical. If rated memory speed is faster than the unit, it will still access at the unit's speed with no detriment. And I doubt a slower memory card (say SD instead of SDHC) will be noticeable. Its not like we are talking about a Pentium II versus a Core 2 Duo.

Nothing wrong with getting as big of an SD card as possible for future use, since you have to buy it anyway, but unless you are planning on loading it with mp3's, I can tell you that the 2g (SD) card in my PPro is barely a quarter filled with 400 books. It is supposed to hold about 3500, which means a 16g card would hold about 14,000 books. That's a LOT of reading.

Be careful buying off ebay, tho. There have been posts regarding 2g cards marketed (and labeled) as 16g and 32g cards, but have merely been messed with to read as if they are 32g cards.

Just thot I'd post something for you so you know we are out here. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, I am sure. (they may have even slipped in while I was composing this drivel.)
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Dacatt. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The new 6+ is very similar in capabilities to the 5", so I would follow the FAQ for the Pocket Pro. However, as eGeezer says, I'm not sure that it matters in the case of SD cards - likely any name brand SDHC card will work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks for the welcome. I've fixed the profile, yes, it's a 6 and I'm dyslexic to the point I just don't flip things left and right, but up and down.

Buying the SD card - I'm figuring Amazon. Was going to go out to Office Depo and pick on up, but can get double the size for the same price on Amazon.

I'm getting the 16 because I'm going to put some music on it too. I don't have a portable MP3 player. Right now I just keep my music on a stick. I'm not out much so I've avoided too many extra devices.

Thanks for the confirmation on the firmware. I found that on another post at least.

I'm slowing getting set-up... and having a blast.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacattt View Post
Just have my brand new EZReader 6.

I'm impatience to wait for tech support on Monday... so checking what folks here know.

SD card - It's my understanding that this unit can take a 16g SD card.... but I'm not sure what I'm buying. The Astak faq says SDHC cards only for the 5 but doc does say 16. It also notes class 4 for speed.

Any clue to what card I should be orderings????
-------

I'm totally in love already... just need to get Calibre on an SD card to be a total happy puppy.
There are SD cards and there are SDHC cards.

The old 6" would not do anything over 4G per the FAQ (The 5" had a 16G limit)
As to Class (SDHC): Never understood why they would list it as an UPPER limit. Class is a Lower limit type thing that affects write speed and is backwards compatible.(The EZ wants to write no slower than class 4. A class 6 card allow writes at class 4 speeds )

I have 1000 EPUB with cover images included, on my 4G card It is 1/4 full
I have a couple of hours of MP3's in the Main storage ( I have the 5") and there is still room.
Manga? Lots of images (scans)? Are reasons to need that huge storage.
4G cards ar sellinf for under $10 on sale at the local Walgreens drug chain. Why risk E-bay?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
...4G cards are selling for under $10 on sale at the local Walgreens drug chain. Why risk E-bay?
Yeah, I only mentioned the e-bay caution thing cuz you (dacatt) didn't say where you were shopping for your card. Naturally, if you don't have an mp3 player, then this is a convenient way to go. But as theducks has emphasized by listing the general content of his not-even-close-to-filled 4g card, you don't HAVE to spend the money on a 16g card.

On the other hand, with that cool 16 shades of gray capability of the 6 Plus (which makes no difference for reading), I'd be temped to load it with photos -- especially with the folder capability of the EZ Readers --, and 16g could fill up fast.

Guess that would make a slideshow feature in the firmware useful, although you could get the same by putting a series of photos into a pdf file. (Just scanned some books into pdf for my wife's iPad, so that slideshow notion just popped into my head. Getting off subject now, so I'll stop.)
Old 08-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
On the other hand, with that cool 16 shades of gray capability of the 6 Plus (which makes no difference for reading), I'd be temped to load it with photos -- especially with the folder capability of the EZ Readers --, and 16g could fill up fast.

Guess that would make a slideshow feature in the firmware useful, although you could get the same by putting a series of photos into a pdf file. (Just scanned some books into pdf for my wife's iPad, so that slideshow notion just popped into my head. Getting off subject now, so I'll stop.)
I popped My Camera card into my PEz this weekend to show off that the PEz could display pictures straight from the Camera card.
The latest (released) Lbook FW asked me if I wanted a slide show They heard: "Wow, I did not know it had that!"
Now if I can figure why it locked up at the 33rd picture
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Good News, Ducks, lol.

You don't need to have LBook FW to lock up your PPro with pics. Just need to tick it off. (No, my Astak FW did NOT ask if I wanted a slideshow).

For the heck of it, I popped my camera card in, too. It showed pg 1/149 which surprised me, but messing around pressing the page buttons didn't advance the pics and finally locked it up. Tried menu, "redo", reset, and finally power off with no visible change. Even after power off attempt, pressing a button still lit the led.

I pulled the SD card just for the heck of it. The picture disappeared and the PPro powered on, which is what it does if you stupidly pull the SD card without powering down. Works fine. Just need to drop out of each pic before choosing another. Funny, tho, that it shows the total number of pics as if they were pages.

But I might have to buy a Plus just to see the pics in 16 shades of gray. Looked pretty good in 8.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Good News, Ducks, lol.

You don't need to have LBook FW to lock up your PPro with pics. Just need to tick it off. (No, my Astak FW did NOT ask if I wanted a slideshow).

For the heck of it, I popped my camera card in, too. It showed pg 1/149 which surprised me, but messing around pressing the page buttons didn't advance the pics and finally locked it up. Tried menu, "redo", reset, and finally power off with no visible change. Even after power off attempt, pressing a button still lit the led.

I pulled the SD card just for the heck of it. The picture disappeared and the PPro powered on, which is what it does if you stupidly pull the SD card without powering down. Works fine. Just need to drop out of each pic before choosing another. Funny, tho, that it shows the total number of pics as if they were pages.

But I might have to buy a Plus just to see the pics in 16 shades of gray. Looked pretty good in 8.
2 things i noticed.
1) use only 4:3 pics, not 16:9 or you get locked.
2) pressing the 1 or 2 key, got the slide show question (must'a fat fingered it at the demo )
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
dacattt
Connoisseur

The 16's are now like $30 at Amazon. That's a nice price point. And thinking about it, might consider some photos given I'm probably keeping my dumb phone another year or two.

Then I got inspiration... my sister does professional photography. She may have cards she considers "little" laying around, too small to bother with.

Once I confirm what the EZReader takes, maybe I can bum a card.

Ah, more decisions.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Well, I'd say whatever FW I have doesn't have the SS option, then. pressing 1 or 2 gets photo 1 or 2. Tried a loooong press. Still just got the pic. But fun to experiment.

Good idea, there Dacatt. I'm sure that as a professional, she long abandoned anything below 8g as a pointless waste of time. If she has extras, my address is ...

J/k, of course.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-29-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well, I'd say whatever FW I have doesn't have the SS option, then. pressing 1 or 2 gets photo 1 or 2. Tried a loooong press. Still just got the pic. But fun to experiment.

Good idea, there Dacatt. I'm sure that as a professional, she long abandoned anything below 8g as a pointless waste of time. If she has extras, my address is ...

J/k, of course.
You have to press the numbers after an image is loaded. It is on lBook but I am not sure about the pocket pro.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Went back and checked, cuz after I do three things, I can't remember what the first thing I did was. Nope, once the photo is loaded, all I get when I press 1 or 2 is the old circle-slash "out of luck, here, bub" symbol. But thanks for suggesting.

Its not a big deal unless I get the Plus, but something to keep a look out for.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
The only images I've seen on the Pocket Pro have been embedded in ePub or PDF book files. I just finished "Zeitoun" which was nonfiction with some images scattered, and sadly, these images were rendered pretty badly, or blurry and spotty.

Hopefully we can adjust that with a FW or in the future! PDF images seem to work better, or what I've seen of them.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote