Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly, I am unable find a single library in my area that offers Kindle format ebooks. If you are not in the USA, Kindle library borrowing is not an option.
This was a factor in my switching to Kobo - I got tired of libraries in my area touting their growing ebook collections and being unable to access them, because of only having a Kindle. My wife enjoyed making the same migration for the same reason, too.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #32
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDestruct View Post
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this forum. Been exploring for a while and now I'd like to ask a question.

It's pretty frustrating when I read reviews of best eReaders and almost EVERY single review keeps saying that Amazon Kindle is superior over Kobo. I was surprised. Why?? Isn't a Kobo just as good as a Kindle? What is the reason why almost all reviewers find Kindle better than Kobo? I'm perplexed.
In the tech world there's rarely such a thing as "best". The best device is the one you prefer; the one that does what you want it to do.

I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I personally prefer Kindles. Their feature selection fits me well and they're stable and relatively bug free and they're connected to the store where I buy my books.

For simply reading, forgetting all the other qualities, my Nook Glowlight 3 gives me the best experience overall. It doesn't have many features but it has most of the ones I care about. It's screen has the best contrast by far. Unfortunately it's a bit buggy and finicky and a lot larger than other 6" readers.

The Kobo feels better in my hand, more comfortable to hold, lighter in weight and it has a lot of the features I like, although not as many as the other two. It's also a bit buggy but not as buggy as the Nook. It's screen is kind of muddy although the newer Kobos have much better screens than mine.

For me the best compromise is the Kindle but the truth is I'd be perfectly happy with any of these as my only reader if I could only have one. They're all excellent and the differences are more about my tastes than anything in the devices themselves.

Lately though I've been doing most of my reading on my phone. I'm enjoying that. I use the Moon+ Pro app and it gives me the best of everything. I haven't really decided that I won't be using my ereaders anymore but it's been a while since I have. Maybe someday I'll decide.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 AM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
For the over all package, the Kindle is best. For individual usage, there is variance. There are features in the Kobo world that I like, but not enough to switch because Amazon totally scores with the Whispersync option. I like the Nook Glo3, particularly for nighttime reader (amber light). However, their future is rather unstable, so can't recommend them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:55 AM   #34
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Thanks all!

What about the lighting? That's a really really major factor for me. If the light is turned down low, maybe at 10%, which of the two looks whiter? Even lighting is very important.
There's anecdotal evidence that different specimens of the same model of various frontlit ereaders vary widely on evenness and color temperature of the built-in lighting.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't use Whispersync or Whispernet.
1) Despite having several ereaders I have no interest in sync.
2) Privacy
3) Need for an Internet connection.
4) What does Amazon do with books you email to Kindle?
5) No interest in Cloud. I do my own backups.
6) No interest in sending info to Amazon owned Goodreads.
7) No interest in "Sharing", so called Social Media (privacy thieving unsocial media).

The only value I find in the WiFi on ANY model/make is to look up a word/phrase when the local dictionary isn't helping. I select "Download to PC and transfer via USB" to avoid the pointless KFX if buying off Amazon. Then *I* decide which device I'm reading it on. DRM isn't about stopping piracy or helping copyright, it's about controlling the customer experience.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-31-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you look at GoodEReader videos that review Kobo vs Kindle. The configure the Kobo to look awful so the Kindle looks better. They have a lot of bias towards Kindle.
As a wise man said:
Quote:
Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
For simply reading, forgetting all the other qualities, my Nook Glowlight 3 gives me the best experience overall. It doesn't have many features but it has most of the ones I care about. It's screen has the best contrast by far. Unfortunately it's a bit buggy and finicky and a lot larger than other 6" readers.
Barry! Long time no see. Hope you're staying safe.

Anyway, have you updated your Glowlight 3 to the latest firmware (50.0.118 or 9, I think)? It has fixed most if not all the bugs and lagginess with the 3. I won't say it'll make the reader perfect. But it is a vast improvement.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this forum. Been exploring for a while and now I'd like to ask a question.

It's pretty frustrating when I read reviews of best eReaders and almost EVERY single review keeps saying that Amazon Kindle is superior over Kobo. I was surprised. Why?? Isn't a Kobo just as good as a Kindle? What is the reason why almost all reviewers find Kindle better than Kobo? I'm perplexed.
Assuming the reviewer is in the US, I can easily see why Kindles are preferred to Kobo. The Paperwhite and Clara are roughly the same price if you ignore the $20 ad rip-off. But buying into Kindle gives you a better book store with a wider variety of titles, a better dictionary and things like X-ray. Plus there's Kindle Unlimited and Goodreads integration.

Kobo has a better reading experience, but that's only if you are in to customizing things and the fact is, most users aren't.

As you can see by my device list, I personally prefer Kobo. But if my mother-in-law were asking which reader to buy, I'd steer her towards Kindle.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #39
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
If you look at GoodEReader videos that review Kobo vs Kindle. The configure the Kobo to look awful so the Kindle looks better. They have a lot of bias towards Kindle. If they had the Kobo looking good, then the Kindle would not look as good.

What I don't get with Kindle is why so many people don't care that they read Mobi and lose features because they use the email feature. If it was me, I would want KF8 so I could choose a custom font and be able to set the weight.
I use the email feature all the time, and I read KF8. It's extremely simply to either use Kindlegen or convert your books to mobi(both) using Calibre. Either of those options will get you books that can be emailed to your Kindle cloud and will come down to modern Kindles as KF8 files.

But you already knew that, and chose to ignore it so that you could make the whispernet for non-Amazon books seem to be somehow worse than it is.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I use the email feature all the time, and I read KF8. It's extremely simply to either use Kindlegen or convert your books to mobi(both) using Calibre. Either of those options will get you books that can be emailed to your Kindle cloud and will come down to modern Kindles as KF8 files.

But you already knew that, and chose to ignore it so that you could make the whispernet for non-Amazon books seem to be somehow worse than it is.

Shari
For most Kindle owners who do use the email feature it IS worse then it is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
For most Kindle owners who do use the email feature it IS worse then it is.
Just curious, are you ever going to bother to learn when to use than instead of then?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #42
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I think everyone's experience will differ and it depends on what features and experience you are after in an eReader. A lot of the reviewers may just want something they can pick up and hit the ground running. There aren't a lot of "hoops" to jump through with a Kindle - just sign in with your Amazon account and there you go! With the Kobo, it is a small learning curve - but an extra one nonetheless - to get everything lined up with Overdrive, Pocket, Calibre, etc. It can be daunting for the "average Joe" - it was for me and I worked in an IT Department! lol... lots of "ins and outs" that we had to learn but probably forget those days when we didn't know anything about it all. Now that everything is set up on my various devices, it is a fantastic system!

For those who want a "refined" reading experience and much more precise settings (including the adjustable comfort-light which I can make darker than on my PW), the Kobo lineup usually wins out. That's not to say they are perfect (the older ones are noticeably slower than a Kindle device of similar age), and their price point is usually a fair bit higher than Amazon's devices...

For those of us who just want to read, and read easily and not too expensively, the Kindle is by far the most accessible one IMO.

(For the record, I was a full Kobo fan...until I picked up a cheap secondhand Kindle about 2 years ago. Now I use both, depending on what mood I'm in, or whether I'm reading Pocket articles/library books, or browsing some of the free titles I've picked up over the years on the Amazon ecosystem).

Last edited by teija; 04-02-2020 at 12:14 AM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #43
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
With the Kobo, it is a small learning curve - but an extra one nonetheless - to get everything lined up with Overdrive, Pocket, Calibre, etc.
For those who just buy from the Kobo store, like most people do from Amazon on the Kindle, there is no need for ANY of the three "hoops" you mention - the Kobo experience is exactly equivalent to the Kindle: Setup an account, buy a book, read. Those other services are additional and optional, not required. Let's compare apples with apples, not oranges.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 PM   #44
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
For those who just buy from the Kobo store, like most people do from Amazon on the Kindle, there is no need for ANY of the three "hoops" you mention - the Kobo experience is exactly equivalent to the Kindle: Setup an account, buy a book, read. Those other services are additional and optional, not required. Let's compare apples with apples, not oranges.
True... but then the apples or oranges need to be the same price point. If I am investing the extra money into a Kobo, it would be for the "extra" features. So in that case, it is obvious why Kindle wins out: Lower price point and offering a cheaper entry-level option being the main ones.

And like others have said before, the Kindle "just works." Great for the less-technical audience, or people (like me) who just got tired of always trying to deal with Kobo "workarounds" or waiting for the next patch to fix bugs/known issues.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:47 AM   #45
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
True... but then the apples or oranges need to be the same price point. If I am investing the extra money into a Kobo, it would be for the "extra" features. So in that case, it is obvious why Kindle wins out: Lower price point and offering a cheaper entry-level option being the main ones.

And like others have said before, the Kindle "just works." Great for the less-technical audience, or people (like me) who just got tired of always trying to deal with Kobo "workarounds" or waiting for the next patch to fix bugs/known issues.
Yes, price is a valid comparator, although in my country, the price difference between a Clara and a Paperwhite is minimal. I can't answer for "tired of always trying to deal with Kobo "workarounds", or waiting for the next patch to fix" because I entered the Kobo system in 2018, and since that time for both me and my wife, our Kobos, first Claras then Aura H202s, have always "just worked".