Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast
NonSkidSurface began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T/X, Treo 700p
NOOK doesn't have recognizable folders

I just bought my 3rd Nook - a GlowLight 3. All works fine but when I open it with my PC to explore files and folders, (I want to add my own screensavers), the file names are gibberish - characters that I can't decipher. I only see something about Adobe, Calibre, and My Files. Any ideas why this is happening?
NonSkidSurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Got a screen capture so we can see?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The nook firmware is garbage and you'll need to root to do anything with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 AM   #4
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

I haven't rooted any of the 3 devices but maybe it's time to do that. Below is a partial capture of what I see in the NOOK system.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #5
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have never seen anything like that before. Just to get things straight:

What O/S are you using?
Have you factory re-set the Nook?

If it is new, can you take it back? I realize this is a bad time for that, but I wonder if it's indicative of a corrupt drive?
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
I have never seen anything like that before. Just to get things straight:

What O/S are you using?
Have you factory re-set the Nook?

If it is new, can you take it back? I realize this is a bad time for that, but I wonder if it's indicative of a corrupt drive?
It's all stock, and the OS is Android 4.4.2 KitKat according to BN website. App Version 50.0.117 / 5.0.5.35. I can try a reset later this evening.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Bookstooge
Guru

Sorry, I meant what O/S is on your computer?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Sorry, I meant what O/S is on your computer?
Some version of Windows given that the screen capture is some version Windows Explorer.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

Windows 10. My 2 other Nooks show normal folder names. I could return this new one, but yet it works flawlessly so I am inclined to just keep it. It does work fine with Calibre. I was thinking a Nook reader had to have a SD port in order to root it. Am I wrong about that?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Bookstooge
Guru

Did you try the factory re-set? I'd do that before making a decision about returning/keeping it.

As for rooting, I can't hazard a guess. I've never gone down that path. Sorry I can't help.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just curious...

For other Nook owners, do Nooks usually have that many folders in the root directory?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would do a factory reset and see what happens from there.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

I did a factory reset, but there is no difference. I tried to perform a hard reset, but nothing happens when I press both the home button and the power button. Since all other functions work OK, I guess I will just keep the reader and forget adding my own screensavers. Not that important to me anyway. I want to thank you all for being so eager to help! I will monitor my thread in case someone wants me to try something else.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
Bookstooge
Guru

I would seriously consider returning it then. If it won't hard reset and you're getting corrupted folder names, it could be a bad disc or something. Might be working fine now, but it could simply go at any time.

good luck!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #15
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast

You've talked me into returning it. It is very new. Funny that the very 1st Nook that became available is still perfect - except it has 2 bright spots in the screen that bother me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk