Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
mike b
mike b began at the beginning.

Perplexed Newbie

I have read the forums and been mightily impressed with developments and ports. With 2.11 downloaded and installed I thought I'd try some of the ports I've enjoyed reading about. I successfully downloaded the developer package (not straightforward but figured out you had to connect again for the MAC address to show up). And then ... no clue how to get shell accesss or run the ported apps. I found some extra folders on my CF/MMC cards (Books/Notes/Docs ...) but nothing else. I think I expected to find a root directory or some sort of change to suggest a reflashing package had appeared somewhere but nothing is in evidence.

So, after one has downloaded the developer package for shell access what needs to be done to run apps? Any guidance or advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The available software is listed on the wiki. I have only downloaded FBReader, mrxvt and EmelFM2 so far. The best instructions are for FBReader in the FBReader 0.8.4 iLiad Release thread:

Quote:
Simply extract it to your memory card and run from the contentlister.
This is perhaps a bit cryptic. What I did is download the zip file to my Windows PC, unzipped it, copied the directory to the iLiad's CF card. Hit the iLiad's device manager key and you can find it under the CF card. The first time it runs stuff gets moved and from them on it is under Programs. In the case of FBReader in particular, it is recommended that installation is to external media (CF or MMC). I have put all such software on the CF card. Also, for FBReader only, you may need to reboot after the first use.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-30-2007 at 11:21 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi mike b,

look in the forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=13914&page=2
for the pdf viewer replacement...

only copy the file into a dir on your cf card and install with a "click" and you are a happy FULL-SCREEN reader :-)

i have problems by using the calc48x .....

BUT !! Using the developer-pack an/or the (very good) comunity software are on your own risk !!

... i only work with a win - device and with VStudio or SQL ... before the iliad i never seen a linux system in my house... but yes, the ipdf viewer runs .-)

i also need help to understand the linux system and the dev-pack ....

haasiesoft
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
mike b
mike b began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies! I'll proceed with the recommendations right after this post.

BTW, I use Win 2K but run Knoppix 3.9 on my PC whenever I need linux. The Iliad was not recognized by this version of Knoppix when I hooked it in to the USB port. I expected it to be treated like another USB drive which seems to be what happens in Windows. How can I get Linux to recognize the Iliad as a USB device? Again any advice or directions to info resources would be appreciated. Cheers.
mike b is offline   Reply With Quote