View Poll Results: Which do you prefer :
MythAdventures (by Robert Lynn Asprin) 17 16.67%
Discworld (by Terry Pratchett) 41 40.20%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (by Douglas Adams) 44 43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #31
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
P.S.
Even without considering repetitiveness between sequels, we probably agree that the first books of the Myth / Discworld series are the best, and of those two the Myth book was much better for me.
However I'd much rather play a Discworld based game than a Myth-universe based one...
I wouldn't say that the earliest books are the best for either series, it definitely isn't the case with discworld and is debatable with the myth series where the freshness of the situations outweighed the development of the characters.

I loved the myth series, but for me it just isn't as good as discworld and anyone who writes that series off just because they wrongly think that they will have got stale after 38 books clearly hasn't read them all as some of the later books are actually some of the best.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #32
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Well, maybe I've brought a few new readers to Asprin...
Maybe he should pay me a comission.
Given that he died a few years ago, it is unlikely that he would be too interested in gaining new readers at this point.

On the subject of his books, in some ways I think the Phule series may have been better than Myth by the end as Skeeve's character development had plateaued by the time of the hiatus and never really regained the promise of the early novels.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #33
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Meisha Merlin took down a number of good projects when it imploded. I never did find out if the Sime~Gen book To Kiss or To Kill was ever released; it seems not, but the release date had changed several times; it wasn't clear if it was published before the company went under.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #34
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Given that he died a few years ago, it is unlikely that he would be too interested in gaining new readers at this point.
Dang, I didn't know that... That's too bad... I recently read his foreword in a Myth book, mostly about how he and Jody wrote the new Myth-series, and his life experiences, and he seemed like a nice and fun guy, I can't believe he was already dead at the time...
According to Wikipedia he died in bed reading Terry Pratchet... How's that for irony ? Life truly is stranger then fiction...
Rest in peace Robert Lynn Asprin...
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #35
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

What's your favorite Discworld illustration (of either the world or any scene from the books) ?
Here's mine :

Oh and who the heck is Meisha Merlin ? I think that fat-gypsy-trinket-wizard-woman from Myth was called Meisha or something like that, but as far as I know she never married King Arthur's court wizard (though if they had married each other it would be fun to see the kids), and even if she did she wouldn't get that last name because that was his first name. I think. You never know with those wizards...

P.S.
When that troll (I think he was a troll) fell through space there was a mention of two other fictional worlds from other authors, the world of "The Neverending Story" and which other ?

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 03-14-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Love Hitchhiker, even above Discworld. Not dull at all, just pure finesse satire on mankind's antics if you can look beyond the thin veil of the scifi/fantasy setting. Don't pay attention to the plots, they are just a device.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Oh and who the heck is Meisha Merlin ?
Meisha Merlin is a science fiction publishing company that <a href="http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20071021032459/http://meishamerlin.com/meishamerlin.html">went out of business in 2007</a>. It did reprints of a number of great authors, and first-runs of a few, and when it went under, the newest/last book in the Sime~Gen series (which you're not expected to have ever heard of) was still pending.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The Myth books get boring after a while and I seem to remember that part of the series suffered from the fact that every second book was pretty bad. Asprin is not so good with the language as Pratchett and Adams. I only read 9 Myth-books because I got bored.

I do not see the Hitchikers books as being Monty Python humour. I would say they are more clever and depend more on the language and timing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I voted for Pratchett since most of his books are good and a lot of them are extremely entertaining and funny.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #40
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I have to say Hitchhiker's. I grew up with them. Mom had them as book on tape and we listened to them on a drive from Louisiana to Canada. I tried to get into the Discworld books a very long time ago but couldn't at the time. The book Pratchett wrote with Neil Gaiman, Good Omens, is one of my favorite books, though.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #41
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
P.S.
When that troll (I think he was a troll) fell through space there was a mention of two other fictional worlds from other authors, the world of "The Neverending Story" and which other ?
So no one answered this one ?
I'll give you a little more information, it was in Discworld (obviously) and it was a troll (or something) on the edge of the world, catching stuff that fell off the edge in a net, and he was telling a story (to Rincewind and someone else I think) of how he fell to Discworld from another world and froze in space, and saw these two worlds while falling through space...
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #42
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
That was Tethys the water troll who came from another world, and one of the worlds he saw was made up entirely of a giant dragon biting its own tail. I don't recall the details of the other. It's in either The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic if you want to look it up yourself.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #43
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Tethis the water troll describes two worlds. Bathys, the world he comes from on which the water trolls lived in three large oceans on the disc, and hunted on land using sail-powered land yachts - Tethis was blown off the edge. The other, noted by ATDrake, was the world made of the dragon, covered in snow and glaciers and holding its tail in its mouth. There is this page that provides annotations relating to The Colour of Magic, search for Tethis to see additional notes there.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #44
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've never been able to read a Discworld book - don't know why because they're the kind of thing I should like but I've never been able to get into one. I ended up voting for the Myth books because I really liked the first couple - (I bought the original Dell paperback of Another Fine Myth back in 1978) - and that series grabbed me more than Hitchhikers.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I never did find out if the Sime~Gen book To Kiss or To Kill was ever released; it seems not, but the release date had changed several times; it wasn't clear if it was published before the company went under.
It's not the title you were asking after, but it looks like Wildside Press is starting to re-release at least some of the Sime~Gen books. #3, First Channel, showed up as a MultiFormat release at Fictionwise with a NEW banner next to the blurb. No sign of #1 & #2, though.

There's currently a 50% off FW coupon in the Deals forum if you'd like to take advantage.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote