Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #76
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I wouldn't worry too much over the credit -- I think there's a good probability that there will be another one after this one.

It might not contain the "Classics" part of the offer, but those are available from Gutenberg, or right here at MR in some cases.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #77
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Direct from an addled SONY Rewards Customer Service Representative (they seem as confused by the offer as we are):

Rewards Readers will be shipped in 3 to 5 business days via FedEX, and will arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.
1 to 2 weeks??? The longest shipping time for FEDEX Ground, according to their website, is 6 days within the continental United States. Where are they shipping these things from?

I can't see any reason that shipping via FEDEX would 2 weeks within the U.S.

Roy! Roy! Help us here!!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If they take up to 5 business days to ship, and then Fedex take up to 6 days to deliver, that's two weeks. I'd interpret the "1 to 2 weeks" as being inclusive of the delivery time, rather than additional to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #79
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If they take up to 5 business days to ship, and then Fedex take up to 6 days to deliver, that's two weeks. I'd interpret the "1 to 2 weeks" as being inclusive of the delivery time, rather than additional to it.
Yes, that does makes much more sense.

Impatient, impatient....

But hey, 14 days from today is the 30th. We can still get the deal!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #80
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
The young lady with whom I spoke said 4-5 days to ship, then "1 to 2 weeks" for delivery. How she meant that I do not know.

@ NatCh: Indeed, it seems that SONY often offers the credit. However, I would be angry if I missed one of them by a day or so because I was not allowed to pay more money to expedite my order. If I were being a cheapskate missed the deadline of my own frugality, fine. In this case, I was given no choice: an extra $20 on top of the good deal I got is not a problem.

As far as the "classics" go, am uninterested. but $50 of real books (i.e. content unavailable elsewhere) is not something to be missed.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #81
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
WOOHOO! My card came in today! Just followed the steps that Snassek provided, and my reader is ordered! Now my wife and I will both have Sony readers. Cool!

Now I have a question. I added my wife as a joint member on the Sony Card, and she'll get her own card in the next week or so. I'm wondering if we can get the same deal when her card comes in. It would be pretty cool to get another one of these for $60 as a gift for my mom, dad or brother.

Does anyone think this might work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
I also just received my card and after being walked through the website, here is the process for getting the reader.

1. Sign up for the Sony Rewards website. You get 25 points for signing up.
2. Add something to your wish list. You get 50 points for creating a wish list.
3. Add the Sony Reader to your shopping cart. It is 16000 points, but after it is added to your cart, with discount, it lists in the cart for 5999 points.
4. Proceed to checkout.
5. Review your order. It subtracts your 75 points from the 5999 points so you still need 5924 points.
6. Click on the Buy Points button towards the bottom of the page. They are $.01 each. It will then ask for a credit card information.
7. Confirm your order.

The total price is $59.24 which has shipping included.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #82
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Quote:
I also just received my card and after being walked through the website, here is the process for getting the reader.

1. Sign up for the Sony Rewards website. You get 25 points for signing up.
2. Add something to your wish list. You get 50 points for creating a wish list.
3. Add the Sony Reader to your shopping cart. It is 16000 points, but after it is added to your cart, with discount, it lists in the cart for 5999 points.
4. Proceed to checkout.
5. Review your order. It subtracts your 75 points from the 5999 points so you still need 5924 points.
6. Click on the Buy Points button towards the bottom of the page. They are $.01 each. It will then ask for a credit card information.
7. Confirm your order.

The total price is $59.24 which has shipping included.
Thank you for posting this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

When adding the Sony Reader to my cart I never get the discount and it's listed at 15,925 points since they figure in the 75 point bonus.

I called their customer service number and the woman on the phone said that basically everyone's been having that problem and that I should wait a couple of days and then call back, as they'd probably have a resolution by that point.

Thanks,
-Brian
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #83
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Thank you for posting this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

When adding the Sony Reader to my cart I never get the discount and it's listed at 15,925 points since they figure in the 75 point bonus.

I called their customer service number and the woman on the phone said that basically everyone's been having that problem and that I should wait a couple of days and then call back, as they'd probably have a resolution by that point.

Thanks,
-Brian
Well, hopefully they get yours straightened out soon.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
As far as the "classics" go, am uninterested. but $50 of real books (i.e. content unavailable elsewhere) is not something to be missed.
Hmmm. The reason that classics are classics is precisely because they are wonderful, timeless, books . How many of the books in the "Book Uploads" forum section here have you tried reading? There are some absolutely wonderful books there, I promise you!

What type of books do you enjoy reading?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #85
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that most of the content is indeed available elsewhere. ll the books I have from Sony are also available on www.Fictionwise.com. I personally will not buy anything from Sony after the $50. Instead, I've been to www.mslit.com and I've made a list of about 200 books I want to buy.

Why LIT format? Well, the DRM can be easily broken, and then I have a file that I can carry between devices -- including the Sony Reader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #86
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Since it's so cheap I decided to get one too with the Sony card. Got the card last week, but was too busy to activate until today. Once that done, I went to Sony Rewards and it took me under 10 minutes to set up everything and get the order for the Reader on, came to 58.99 since I had 100 points from the wish list and activation.

Now I will have 3 readers and joy to put content on the Sony (luckily most of my books are in rtf or html where I can do a batch to rtf easily, the ones in .opf will be more trouble since there you have to join the files most of the times, and Fbreader reads .opf, Ebks converts it so I used it like that until now).

Is there a simple utility to take .opf to rtf or lrf directly? I think BD does it but I am not sure.

With the 50$ credit, it's almost free, though being drm'ed those 50$ books are not truly mine, but still...

Great find anyway!!
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #87
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

Anyone order the Reader with the SonyCard and receive confimation of it being shipped yet? I ordered mine Friday and it still hasn't shipped. The lady I spoke with at SonyRewards said, "it should ship this week".

It is a great deal and all, but it is frustrating that they can't tell you when something you buy is going to be shipped.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #88
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Quote:
Well, hopefully they get yours straightened out soon.
Actually, after checking last night and earlier today, I just tried the same process again, and this time it worked!

Hopefully they'll start shipping them out soon!
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #89
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Actually, after checking last night and earlier today, I just tried the same process again, and this time it worked!
Great to hear it worked!
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #90
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Fedex Rules!!!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote