Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #571
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Yes, the stylus has a circumference that is larger than the thickness of the slate.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #572
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I want an e-ink screen for my PC so much...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #573
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Likewise... or rather, for my wife, so she can actually use the PC for more than 10 minutes without her eyes suffering ( yellow glasses with multilayer filtering is helping thankfully, but yes, getting rid of the whole light-transmission aspect would be great )
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #574
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Likewise... or rather, for my wife, so she can actually use the PC for more than 10 minutes without her eyes suffering ( yellow glasses with multilayer filtering is helping thankfully, but yes, getting rid of the whole light-transmission aspect would be great )
Well, if Android suits you as an OS you can buy Android on several models today. The most promising is EARL shown in our wiki. No need to jail break it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #575
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Thumbs up E-ink monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
the good news is you can!

the bad news is it's not as easy as buying a eink computer monitor (for now. I'm sure it will change very soon. being that so many people requested it on mobileread. where eink developers (probably) look to find out about their consumers).

instructions for pc here
for mac here

Last edited by user743; 04-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #576
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, if Android suits you as an OS you can buy Android on several models today. The most promising is EARL shown in our wiki. No need to jail break it.

Dale
Seems the link is case sensitive. Earl
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #577
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Wouldn't Pixel Qi in reflective mode be better for her PC needs?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #578
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post

the bad news is it's not as easy as buying a eink computer monitor (for now. I'm sure it will change very soon. being that so many people requested it on mobileread. where eink developers (probably) look to find out about their consumers).

instructions for pc here
for mac here
Interesting article, it's a lot to do if you want to make it work, but at least it can be done. Does the Kindle and the computer need the same "resolution"? If not, could this also be done with the Sony?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #579
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Wouldn't Pixel Qi in reflective mode be better for her PC needs?
Seems awesome! Pixel Qi claims it has this technology incorporated in some devices, like the Adam (here's the list: http://www.pixelqi.com/devices) But these are devices from 2-4 years ago!
Why didn't the technology stick? I'm only discovering it now and the news about this stopped by 2012... What happened?

I'm particularly interested in this device: http://91.121.72.108/pad/home/padpro.html which could be a good alternative to others that are on the market or even the one we are discussing in this topic, because it incorporates a stylus and reflective display. If it only had better specs and it were still in production.

P.S.: sorry for the off-topic.

Last edited by FantoM; 04-10-2014 at 08:14 PM.
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #580
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
I've been watching the EARL item for a while, unfortunately as it's limited to 6" it is a bit of a limiting factor. I can already obtain a 9.7" dev kit for about $600 USD but was hoping to go with something a little more turnkey orientated.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I design & manufacture electronics, but since it's for my wife I don't think she'd quite appreciate the typical cable & delicately balanced panels on her writing desk
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #581
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post

instructions for pc here
Might end up just going this route, same size display as the dev kit I was looking at but cheaper and already cased up nicely. Downside is that it won't be as new on the eInk technology.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #582
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantoM View Post
Seems awesome! Pixel Qi claims it has this technology incorporated in some devices, like the Adam (here's the list: http://www.pixelqi.com/devices) But these are devices from 2-4 years ago!
Why didn't the technology stick? I'm only discovering it now and the news about this stopped by 2012... What happened?

I'm particularly interested in this device: http://91.121.72.108/pad/home/padpro.html which could be a good alternative to others that are on the market or even the one we are discussing in this topic, because it incorporates a stylus and reflective display. If it only had better specs and it were still in production.

P.S.: sorry for the off-topic.
The screen costs more than LCD so devices with Pixel Qi would have higher prices (or lower profit margins for the manufacturer).

Consider the reaction to the price of the Sony device. Consumers want a variety of things from their devices, and the technology to make them exists, but that doesn't mean that the consumers would be happy with the prices.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #583
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

I can imagine that no sooner we actually get HDMI/DVI/VGA connected eInk screens we'll be squarking about the refresh rates soon after That said, as an auxillary screen for the purpose of reading or writing text I think it'll still find a lot of use.

Nice to see the DX's are now only $199, but the eInk is a generation behind and laggy compared to what the latest offerings are

Anyone want to send me a SONY 13.3" to hack?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #584
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Thumbs up SONY 13.3 hacks coming soon?

Quote:
I can imagine that no sooner we actually get HDMI/DVI/VGA connected eInk screens we'll be squarking about the refresh rates soon after That said, as an auxillary screen for the purpose of reading or writing text I think it'll still find a lot of use.

Nice to see the DX's are now only $199, but the eInk is a generation behind and laggy compared to what the latest offerings are

Anyone want to send me a SONY 13.3" to hack?
I'm sure that SONY 13.3 hacks will be available soon. being that it will be the biggest e-ink screen, for now. just like the kindle dx, which was the biggest one when it was releaset.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #585
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Given the elevated price tag I'm a little surprised SONY hasn't considered providing an Android or Linux type alternative boot for developers ( a bit like the PlayStation originally ) to assist in bolstering the sales even further.